Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Jeepin' with my Sister

My sister was here for Christmas from the East Bay area. She told me ith past that she wanted to go out in the Jeep while she would be here. Now she's a Berkely "Progressive" but she's still my sister and she loves the outdoors. So I invited a few friends to go and they wanted to go:

Roger & my Sister Sharyn
    Mitch and some lovely Redhead (Oh, that would have been LeAnne - what's up with him always having married women in his Jeep?)
    Gp4play - Dennis & Tammy
    Nipple Twister - John & Kristie
    Ou812 - Scott
    Flatpoint - Dave & Courtney
    A friend of Dave's - Chris & I didn't get his passengers name - sorry
    Skittles - Mary & Marissa

We met at the Valero Station in Lucerne Valley and headed out to Camp Rock Rd. We aired down at the end of the pavement.

First stop was the Fry Mtn Mine and then to the Arrastra nearby. Mitch & Mary took an extra credit line up a rock waterfall. I should mention that I cracked my head really hard in the mine. I forgot to duck. Stars & birds were spinning around my head. :bonk: :censor:

From there we went to the Copper Strand Mine where we had lunch. Now I've driven by it hundereds of times but this was my first visit. There's a rock cabin that's in not very good condition. The mine was great - I paced it at about 648' deep.

We completed the loop around the mtn and stopped and checked out an old box car in the middle of nowhere. It's been heavily vandalized.

Lots of photos were taken so hopefully those who took photos post them up soon!

All in all it was a very nice day and everyone made it so enjoyable. Thanks everyone!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Roger,

Thank you for a fun run tour of the desert today. Temps hovered around 40' all day but still a great day. It was nice to return to the Copper Strand Mine, it has been 2 years since I was there. It was nice to see some new faces and to meet "Dana" Mary's new dog. Of course John and Kris brought "Goo" and "Silla" (Spelling?). I enjoyed the company of LeAnne all day while Roger shared his passenger seat with his sister Sharyn. I love the desert and this was another reminder of why. Thanks everyone.

Mitch

Comment

Where are the pics?????? A great time guys......that trail going to the second mine was kind of spookey! Courtney had a great time, as did Chris and Megan.....always a great time with all of you!
      :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Here's a few:

Fry mountain

Mary and Kris watching the kids

Arrastra Mine

I knew that Mary would follow LeAnne and I up the wash and waterfall!

Copper Strand Mine and cabin

Half a train boxcar in the middle of the desert?

A little snow left on Camp Rock Road

And what is a trip through Lucerne without seeing the MOOSE. "Merry Christmoose"

Last edited by Mitch; 12-27-09, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Great day exploring the mines in the JV. Always fun. Kariesa's first time jeepin and she really enjoyed the trip. Dana (new pup) did better than I expected also. I will deliver pic's to Roger tomorrow and he can download hopefully. Mitch, I just thought I was supposed to follow you! Huh ! Great fun. Thanks Roger for leading.

Comment

Tammy and I had a great day.Thanks to Roger,Mitch,and Dave for all the cool info,and thank you everyone for being a great group to tour with.I got a couple a pic's I'll post in the morning.Y'all ROCK
            Dennis and Tammy
            Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Thank you Roger and Mitch for leading us around the desert today. I had a great time. I wish I remembered to bring my camera. I don't have any pictures but I was able to take notes of they places we stopped. I would like to explore some more out there. There's just so much to see. I have tracks if anyone is interested in the .kml file PM me.

Our first stop was the Fry Mountain Mine. This is a interesting one and I am glad I remembered to bring flash lights. No camera but I had a flashlight. I didn't remember to start logging the tracks on my GPS till the second stop but this one looks easy to get to if you just plug in the coordinates and head in the general direction.
              Lat: 34°34'3.59"N
              Long:116°43'25.63"W

The second stop was a few mines shafts two of which were open pits the third was capped. It was hard to see how deep they were because I was not brave enough to cross the fence surrounding them. Best guess from throwing a rock down is about 50-60 feet. Also there were two astras(spelling?).
              Lat: 34°34'32.71"N
              Long:116°43'22.29"W

Third stop was the stone cabin near the Copper Strand Mine. We stopped here to eat. There was a lot to see around this cabin. I wouldn't mind spending an afternoon walking around this area.
              Lat: 34°37'52.51"N
              Long:116°40'8.02"W

The Copper Strand Mine was a fun one too. It was much deeper than I had expected. I went in to the end and turned off my light. It is very strait and you can always see the entrance. But at the back it is so dark and so quiet you can imagine what it might be like to be deaf or blind.
              Lat: 34°37'39.72"N
              Long:116°40'10.09"W

Last stop was the rail car. This was very intriguing because it looks like maybe at one time this was used as a jail. I can't imagine how justice was served when this was in use. In the picture you can see Camp Rock Rd. at the top. This should be easy to find again.
              Lat: 34°38'53.49"N
              Long:116°40'43.86"W

Again thank you, I had a blast. Next time Ill bring my camera.

-Scott
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

OU.....; nice job.....great time.
                :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

I thought I took more pic's then this,guess I was talking to much :shout: I got to remember to take a pad and pen to wright all the cool info down cause I have a bad case of CRS.

Meeting in LV

Inside one of the mines

Dennis and Tammy
                  Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

I thought when taking people for first time trips in jeeps, you were suppose to take them for a full day at the hammers and give them the "pucker factor"...

looks like a nice day and some good exploring.
                    "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Thanks for the report on the trip Roger yer po-boy sure is lookin sweet these days ..looks like a fun time, is your sis ready to go back out?..looked like it was chilly too..Thanks guys
                      "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Our pics......

.....of the day, thanks Roger for puttin it together.
                        IF we get everyone operating with Amatuer radios then we could even spread out a little further huh?:hide:

I was thinkin the railcar was what is left from being a shed for a large air compressor or a generator, when they were done they cut open the sides and took the machine leaving the useless railcar......my two cents.

It's a Jeep thing.....
                        http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...aJeepthing.jpg

"Indiana" Roger
                        http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...dianaRoger.jpg

Stone house near Copper mine
                        http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...oneHouse-1.jpg

Room with a view...
                        http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...hotos/View.jpg
                        John & Kristi

Comment

Nice pictures john.
                          Those left standing