Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Desert Exploring

Went out Saturday with a small group to do a little Jeeping and Exploring. We met the Valero, gassed up and headed to Camp Rock Road to say HI to the group that Curtis was leading on CAKE.

Scott and Lesa (AVjeepfreek), Dave (Flatpoint) and friends Brett and Amber, John and a friend, Jesse and Charles (Kodiak Spirit) and Julie (Desert Jewel), and I (great88) headed up Camp Rock Road for an all day tour.

First stop was at an old mining camp nick named Camp Skee. We had a few in the group that not seen this spot before so it was a nice revisit for the rest of us. Charles (Jesse's son) seemed to really enjoy checking out the mine tunnel.

Next we headed north/east to the Rodman Petroglyphs. We did the 1/2 mile hike into the Wilderness area and checked out the lava canyon and the Glyphs. A very cool spot.

I laughed at this Garter Snake. I stopped to take it's picture and when I went to move it out of the road with my foot it did a "Rattlesnake" imitation and shook it's tail, coiled up, and struck at me. Too funny.

Next we headed east and then north to a new area called Box Canyon. This trail travels 10 miles or so north towards the 40 Fwy. Awesome colors and textures in this remote sandy canyon.

At the north end of Box Canyon we had a great view of the Mojave lava fields as we headed east a couple of miles and then doublebacked south to a different canyon. First stop in this canyon was a large abandoned mining camp and the Silver Bell Mine. In true form, Lesa sniffed out an a hidden adit (tunnel), and with John (retired Fire Chief) in tow, they dissapeared under ground. John's partner had a pack with all of the exploring gear including a "black light". John found traces of the gold and silver bearing ores while he and Lesa explored. When Lesa came out, she guess that they were back in 200 feet. Then Jesse and Charles went in and found a different section and went an additional 200 feet, finding old ladders that went down to different levels. We will have to come back for further exploring (Kirk and Silvia???).

Next we headed a couple of miles east to the Silver Cliff Mine. There appears to be only a couple of deep shafts here. So no underground exploring here. But on the surface there are lots of remains including a huge wood ore hopper hanging over the cliff. Quite the scenic spot. We all explored different sections of this once thriving silver mine camp. Just north of the mine via a little rock crawl canyon is a series of water falls that drop over 200 feet to the desert floor when it rains. Must be a spectacular sight when it is flowing.

It was getting late so we headed back to CAmp Rock to air up and split for home. We ran out of time for some of the other planned stops but that just means another trip. We finished the day with over 80 miles of dirt roads and trails!

Thanks everyone for the fantastic day.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 12-20-09, 03:23 PM.

Yea, we covered a lot of desert! Great time! That tunnel at the "Bell" is haunting me! Need to go back with a camera! As always a great time. Brett and Amber want to go on future trips...that Extera seemed to get around just fine for what we were doing.......
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Thank you all so much for being patient and letting us tag along, I know we got a late start because of it, We had a great time!

Mitch, that section we went into went back 285 paces, even at a conservative pace, due to walking low so I don't hit my head in the dark, the section was easily 700' past the vertical shaft. I don't think there has been much traffic in that it was very clean. There were a few short side branches as well, but the large room with the vertical shaft was just incredible. I am sorry there are no pics on that one.
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Kodiak....How far in did the tunnel start to "open up", where you could walk? Did it eventually turn into nard rock? That opening was sure unstable!

Comment

Sorry HARD rock....

Comment

Lesa and I had a great time! Thanks to all for another awesome day!

Sott & Lesa
            "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Thanks for a great day!! Maggie really enjoyed it and I had a fun despite still recovering from being sick for the last 3 weeks. I look forward to going out again!

Comment

the first section to the vertical shaft that goes up is short and miserable, but as soon as you drop down into the next section from the daylight of that vertical there is a bit of an open area with tin and timbers in an offshoot to the right, and you can stand right away. It is all hard rock and the floor has timbers for rails, but there is a bit of sand, so it's pretty smooth. There were two spots where some rock had fallen from the overhead, but nothing larger than a basketball. It's about 80 paces in to the vertical down shaft and that is covered by a timber box platform with just two openings. The platform is in a room that is prolly 12'X10' easy, with a high maybe 12' dome ceiling. A little past the down shaft the air gets starts to get warm and thick, and I was going to turn around several times but Charlie was getting freaked out and goosie and I wanted to see how far the mine went, it was tall, clean and about 4' wide or more. The ladders going down were very well made and looked to be in good shape. I would never go down them without a rope & rig though, it's just too crazy. Somebody would have to have some serious safety/recovery gear, that shaft goes DOWN! I would think the air would be more stale down there to, maybe need a blower with some elephant trunks or something... it did look like there was a sheet metal air duct going down the shaft, maybe 3" or 4"
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Wow! I REALLY need to explore that mine! Thanks for all the detail!

Comment

Next time we need to have a camera down there. I know that Lesa wants to drag Norma back here soon. Dezertdog Scott, you better set aside some time for this or we will steal your wife! Let's go.

Mitch

Comment

Great reports!

Looks like you all had a lot of fun on your adventure!

Christian
                      "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Looks like a fun trip. The last time I was at the silver bell mine I saw that opening, but decided not to go inside. Now I know I have to get back there soon.
                        Glad to see another great trip. Thanks for sharing.
                        Chris

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Really cool Mitch. We have some of the best areas in the country to explore right in our own backyard. I was looking at some of the GPS co-ords you sent and went out on Fri. and covered some of the same mines you just did - really cool.

Weekends just haven't been opening up for me lately.

Hope you don't mind me droping in on your post.

mk

Pic link.[/COLOR]

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow
                          Last edited by mkjeepers; 12-20-09, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Hey Mike,

You also put in so miles on your trip. The Arrastra and the waterfall to drive up on the way, Camp Skee, Fry Mountains, Cold Fear, Ford, Grand View, Ord Belt....... Isn't nice when friends share their secrets!!! Looks like fun.

Mitch

Comment

Great report and pictures guys! I'am going to have to go camp out there for a week or so this spring and do some exploring.
                              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Working...
                              X