Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Canyon Sin Nombre to Fish Creek

I had a great time today. We started the trail with four Jeeps. Materdaddy, Commando Man, Skittles, and Me. We explored all of the canyons we set out for and a few more too. Our day started at 8:30 am at the Carrizo Badlands Overlook. We aired down and started our trek thru Canyon Sin Nombre. Although the canyon was short it was very impressive. We spotted a few spots that looked perfect for setting up a base camp for a weekend of exploring.

When we came out of Canyon Sin Nombre we headed up Carrizo Creek. This was an unintentional side trip but I think we were all glad for it. The creek was barely flowing but it was enough to get some mud on our Jeeps. Which is great in these tough economic times. I am going to save some money this week on spray on mud for my mall crawler. We followed the creek bed all the way to the Carrizo Impact Area. It was at this point we realized exactly where we were. We turn around and made one more trip thru the muddy trail. On the way out we advised a f-150 with street tires it would be best not to try it alone. Who knows if he listened.

We headed up Arroyo Seco Del Diablo next. And we only overshot the Diablo Drop off by 4-5 miles. We found some cool camp spots but not much else. The first drop required lots of flex but was otherwise very manageable. About 150 yards down the trail we found the second drop. We all did a great job making it down the second drop and thru "Broken Shaft Gulch". Although these were the hardest obstacles we faced all day I think we all could have managed going up the drop off despite the trails one way markings on the map. I think the markings are sugested to keep the trail from getting too rutted. The upper drop off was very sandy and I could imagine digging some deep holes trying to get up. "Broken Shaft Gulch" was the only 4low section of the day. After we made it thru we stopped and ate some lunch at it's intersection with Fish Creek.

Fish Creek was the interstate highway of the Carizo Badlands. We saw more people here then we did the entire rest of the day. And it is no mystery why. It is an amazing place. The beauty of the geology is something that I will associate with Anza Borrego forever. There are only so many places like this in the world. I wonder how few people take time to came and enjoy places like this.

After stopping a few times to marvel we came out of Fish Creek to Split Mountain Road. We aired up our tires and headed home. At Highway 78 we split up and Mary headed east to the 86 and we headed west to Julian. We of course stopped for pie. After our short pie stop I came out to find my Jeep seemingly without a single volt of power. My volt meter was inconveniently out of power also. My jumper box was fully charged but made no difference when hooked up. We hooked up some jumper cables and still nothing. After looking thru some fuses and finding none missing my Jeep somehow regained power? After it was running again we headed down the hill from Julian. On the drive home I noticed that my dash volt meter was reading below 12 volts. I figured out that as soon as I turned the heater off it would jump back up to 14 volts. So I have a short in my hater blower motor it would seem. After I got home I noticed a splash guard behind my right front fender was no longer attached. I figure I was a little over zealous driving thru some of the puddles in upper Carrizo Creek. Some water must have splashed onto my heater blower motor. The motor sticks thru the fire wall about six inches from where my splash guard is supposed to be. Lesson learend, those spach guards are useful, and also take it slow thru the puddles. In true Jeep fashion I just happen to have a spare heater box in the garage.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Light sprinkles on Highway 8 coming thru Alpine.

Airing down at the mouth of Canyon Sin Nombre

Upper Carizo Creek. Slow thru those puddles now!

In Arroyo Seco Del Diablo we found this guy trying to stop traffic.

I don't know who was braver. The tarantula for staring down a Jeep, or Mary for putting her hand right next to it so we could see how big this thing actually was!

I forget now where this was. We stopped to explore some side canyons and this one was quiet interesting. It took a little work but Mat and I managed. The hardest part was the first ledge.

But we eventually made it all the way to the top of the canyon.

I found some time to stop and ponder what exactly "The Thinker" was pondering.

The very soft sand upper Diablo drop-off.

These shots are always kinda fun. Mary taking the drop-ff like a pro!

The sign at "Broken Shaft Gulch"

The very impressive Fish Creek.

We saw a shiny XJ on the way out of the canyon. Ahh used cars..

I think this is all the pictures I got. Thanks to everyone who shared the day with me. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures too.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Scott,

Nice write up and pictures. Sounds like a fun place to explore and just cruise around. I like it when you miss a turn and it doesn't matter cause the trail is even more awesome. Thanks for sharing your fun. I was busy this weekend, so it's like the only weekend I didn't go out this year! So this write up helped alot!!!!

Mitch

Comment

Awesome, I so need to get out there!
        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Thanks for the report and good pictures. Looks like you all had a great time out there.

That route you took there is usually the one I use when introducing folks to the park. Lots to see.

I would have loved to been able to join in with you guys. Being sick sucks.

Comment

Great write-up Scott. Thanks for posting!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Glad to hear everything went fairly smoothly. Cool pics and write-up. Hopefully I can make the next one. Wish I could enjoy all the slush and mud we have up here today, but my old wetsuit doesn't fit anymore...nevermind that.

Glad you straightened that hater out--wouldn't want it spewing hate in my Jeep either.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Great report Scott!

Glad you all had a good time!

Maybe soon I'll be in a position to come down and explore that area again.

Christian
                "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Sweet pics Scott, looks like a really fun trip

Comment

Nice report Scott. It looks like a great time. I love that area. I've been a lot of places in the A-B area, but I don't know where this is:

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                    The sign at "Broken Shaft Gulch"
                    Could you give an idea where this is?
                    The sign must be new. No one from the Sierra Club has shot holes in it yet.
                    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

There is a short canyon that runs between fish creek and the diablo drop-off. This sign is on the end of te canyon twords the drop-off.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Took lots of pictures but can't seem to figure out how to post them. Sure had a fun day. Thanks Scott for leading. Beautiful canyons, very misterious rock formations. Want to go back and explore more!!

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                          There is a short canyon that runs between fish creek and the diablo drop-off. This sign is on the end of te canyon twords the drop-off.
                          So someone decided to name it? I always just thought of it as the entrance or exit to the bottom of the Diablo Drop Off.

Again, nice report. I need to get back down that way again soon.
                          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

Great report and pic's Scott.Sorry we missed out but Hope to make it down there soon.
                            Dennis and Tammy
                            Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              So someone decided to name it? I always just thought of it as the entrance or exit to the bottom of the Diablo Drop Off.

Again, nice report. I need to get back down that way again soon.
                              The funny thing was, that little connection was *easy*... Only half our group aired down, and nobody disconnected sway bars. That was the only 4Lo section, but still not anything anybody on our trip would consider difficult.
                              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X