Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Hiking to a new mine

Dave and I headed out Saturday morning to search for another mine that we've wanted to find. We drove out Camp Rock Road about 15 miles north of Hwy 247 and parked next to a small canyon. This mine was a 1/2 mile hike up a steep narrow canyon that climbed 800 feet to a deep mine. The area is very remote and it looks like nobody has been there for years. We walked in the adit that was around 400 feet deep. It was warmer than the outside temp which was nice. We explored the area for a while and Dave climbed to the top of the hill for a survey. It snowed on us the return hike back to Daves Jeep. It turned out to be a fun hike with a nice combo of light rain and snow.

When we got back to Daves house my Jeep (still topless) was soaked inside, so we were glad that we drove the Rubicon.

Thanks Dave for a great hike!

Driving to the GPS spot

Hiking to the mine

An old foundation near the mine / there was a faint trail from this point on

Getting close

The Mine

It's a little dark with the lights off!

A perfect day!

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 11-29-09, 07:17 AM.

Sooner or later........

We will explore ALL the mines in the Ord mtns! Very cool mine! Thanks for dragging my overly clothed, freezing ass out there! I was burning up near the top!
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Hey Mitch,

It looks like another outstanding adventure!

Christian
      "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Mitch,
        Is this Camp Rock road?

I think that is where I had to camp for the night on Christmas Night last year. It snowed like crazy out there. The fire pit is still there next to the road. Bitchin area back in there.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Rat.......

That is "Troy" road.....maybe 3 miles no.of camp rock rd. Part of the "Camp skee" area.
          :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Kurt,

Like Dave said it's off of Troy Road. We've been to an old camp over the south side of the hill but had never made this hike. We both had seen some pictures but can't find a name or any info on this one. Quite a hump, but always worth it.

Mitch

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Nice looking mine Mitch. Sometimes they're worth the hike. But I just found one you can drive through, I like those better.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

Waiting for a PM. I'll check again in the morning! Don't tease me..... Hope that your trip was fantastic.

Mitch

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Here is one of the many. The Bonanza King mine.
                  I'll post some othere later
                  mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Now thats the Mother Load of all mine finds!
                    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Awesome Mike,

After talking to you the other night I figured that this one would be on your list. Can't wait for the report. Thanks

Mitch

Comment

Hey Mitch,
                        How come you don't dig yours that big.

Scott

Comment

Is this a joke or are you really allowed to drive your Jeep through the mine? It really fits and your able to come out on the other side? That would be a nice treat on a run especially if no one is expecting to do this.
                          2004 TJ X
                          Callsign: KJ6DHG

Comment

Originally posted by ironbelle View Post
                            Is this a joke or are you really allowed to drive your Jeep through the mine? It really fits and your able to come out on the other side? That would be a nice treat on a run especially if no one is expecting to do this.
                            [COLOR="Blue"]You can enter any mine that is not blocked by the BLM or whatever agency. This one is cut for a vehicle. It looks like the miners decided it would be easier to truck the ore out than use rail cars. This one didn't go through. It was only 300-400ft deep.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                              [COLOR="Blue"]You can enter any mine that is not blocked by the BLM or whatever agency. This one is cut for a vehicle. It looks like the miners decided it would be easier to truck the ore out than use rail cars. This one didn't go through. It was only 300-400ft deep.

mk[/COLOR]
                              Mike,

Did you have to back out or was there a place to turn around in there?

Christian
                              "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Working...
                              X