Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Decision help

So I've been trying to figure out where I want to go wheeling tomorrow. Mottino Wash or the Hammers: I've never done either but I'm up for anything. One of the guys from Hi-Desert 4x4 I've hooked up with said he'd like to do Mottino but I was talking with $100 and I've been wanting to get out to Johnson Valley for the last year! I live in 29 Palms and don't tow as my Jeep is my DD. What's everyone's take on it?

I've got an 07 Rubi on 35's and have already run a few trails in BB and did TDS.

Mike
    Last edited by lamar95x4; 11-27-09, 12:00 PM. Reason: PS

Mike,

Nice looking Jeep! You have more of a risk of body damage if you run one of the Hammer trails. If you run Mottino it will beat you hard underneith but probobly not on the body. Mottino is rather secluded so make sure you have another vehicle with you. The Hammers should be full of people this weekend, and probly windy as hell!

Lockers will be important on both trail locations.

Mitch

Comment

Just recently did Mottinos and there was a similiar JK as yours...he did great with just the skids getting a workout....were heading out to that general area in the morning

Comment

Your Jeep is not built for the Hammers.

You WILL get body damage. If that doesnt matter to you, youd need at least spare parts (Axle shafts, steering components, belts, fluids and the tools to install) Youll need a winch. Without lockers, youd be hardpressed to even get much beyond the trail heads.

Id suggest riding along at the Hammers or more difficult trails at JV before deciding that you want to take your Jeep there.

Have fun.

Tam
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
          Your Jeep is not built for the Hammers.

You WILL get body damage. If that doesnt matter to you, youd need at least spare parts (Axle shafts, steering components, belts, fluids and the tools to install) Youll need a winch. Without lockers, youd be hardpressed to even get much beyond the trail heads.

Id suggest riding along at the Hammers or more difficult trails at JV before deciding that you want to take your Jeep there.

Have fun.

Tam

Last time i checked Rubicons came with lockers.

Comment

I say go to the hammers and post lots of pics when you get back.........

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Clay View Post
              Last time i checked Rubicons came with lockers.
              I didnt see that it was a Rubicon

Regardless...at least if he goes, he cant say that he hasnt been warned.

Lets put it this way.

My Jeep is an 02 with D44 rear and an HP D30 front, ARB's front and back, Superior shafts in the rear and Warns in the front, with Warn hubs on 35" MTR's with Currie steering.

Im running a Savvy Aluminum gas tank skid, Rock-it Man wheel well to wheel well rockers, a steering box skid and oil pan skid. I have a SuperWinch, and shorty bumpers with recovery points.

My Jeep is not YET built to run the Hammers. We were out there this last week for a few days with Erik, Gerald, Blaine and a handful of other friends. We ran Sledgehammer, the beginning of Jack Hammer, and Sunbonnet. As much as Id really like to take my Jeep on the trails, it stayed home.

Tam
              Last edited by JeepGal; 11-27-09, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Mike, Motino wash is a bit easier than Clawhammer.
                You wheel pretty well so it's do able with your rig bring a tow strap though you might belly flop your limousine and yes you could end up with a scratch or ding or 2. Try Motino wash first if that is cake for ya, then tackle Clawhammer. A rubicon JK on 35's with stock shafts can tackle some pretty gnarly stuff. The one that ran with us hammered up this waterfall with both front tires up in the air just missed getting that on the camera

Steve also knocked that one out without much adoo

Last edited by aw12345; 11-27-09, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Also Tam my little Jeep is setup pretty much the same as yours and really did not have a whole lot of trouble with Sledgehammer. Now for the tougher hammers stuff, I ma going to built another Jeep, those trails are just to much fun to leave alone, just trashing my daily driver doesn't seem like such a good idea, however you look at it the hammers are tough trails but a barrel of fun

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys and gals! I'm still going to go out to Johnson Valley. We'll see where we're going from there! There's several people from the JKO forum and Gen-Right is camping out there so there should be some fun to be had no matter what happens

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by lamar95x4 View Post
                      Thanks for all the input guys and gals! I'm still going to go out to Johnson Valley. We'll see where we're going from there! There's several people from the JKO forum and Gen-Right is camping out there so there should be some fun to be had no matter what happens

Mike
                      come find us, we will be out there!

Comment

Hey Mike=

Here are the pics that Gerald took this last week at JV:

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...view=slideshow

Proceed at your own risk

Tam

Comment

Very nice pics Tam

Comment

Well, thanks everyone for the input. We had a good time and I was able to conquer Clawhammer with just a few scratches and a cracked canister. Here's the links: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...t=16934&page=4

Mike

Comment

Mike,

Good job, just jump in and have fun. Next time bring the "good" camera. I think that run will be on my list soon.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                              X