Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Stars 'n' Cars

I'll be camping in the Mojave National Preserve to enjoy the Geminid Meteor Shower. I figure during the daylight hours to drive some of the Mojave Road.
    The plan right at this minute is to camp in the MidHills Campground (site #6 has a great 360 view) from Sunday Dec. 13th to Wednesday Dec. 16th - unless the cold gets to me. (I'm such a "house cat"!)
    I know this falls during the week but I can't convince the meteors to change their schedule. But if you can only do the weekend, there WILL be meteors falling, its just that the peak will be in the wee hours of the 13/14.

PS. yah, I know "cars" isn't quite right, but I couldn't find a rhyme for jeep. *shrug*
    Some girls like it rough!

Hi,cat I am going to try and make your run thru the Mojave, I need to check schedules first, but it should be good. JIm

Comment

Cat,

You sure you want to camp at Mid-Hills in December??? It's not that far to Hole-in-the-Wall where it would be a lot warmer! It should also be a great place to watch the meteors.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

I think the difference in elevation is 1200 feet... cold is cold is cold to me... Hole in the Wall is a pretty site, but I don't like that the sites are so close and when I checked it out there were a lot of RVs.

If you want to camp there and meet up on the trail that's OK.... but there's no cell coverage out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubiconcruiser View Post
          Hi,cat I am going to try and make your run thru the Mojave, I need to check schedules first, but it should be good. JIm
          That would be great Jim! We can have 2 tents on one site and it is $12 a night per site.

Comment

Hi Cat scope and binocs ae already packed.

Comment

YAY!!!

I will be going out Sunday and arriving about 1 PM to set up camp. My suggestion is to come in from the north, last chance to fill up in Baker!! (Ludlow is on the south side and gas there was astronomical!!)

I hope to last until Wednesday, to have 3 nights of meteor watching/photographing. Moon will be new.

Send me a note at thecats_pjs@yahoo.com and we can finalize meet up, food, expectations, etc.

Comment

Hey Jim!
                You still up for meteor viewing (if the skies will clear!) and mojave trail? What is your cell # incase I back out at the last second (like Sunday noonish...?)

Comment

Hey cat. Have fun out there. Hope you get some good pics. Stay warm.
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks!
                    I've got so much down packed you'd think I own a goose farm!

I'll post when I get back so you know I didn't get frozen to the ground! LOL!

Comment

Hi all!
                      Me & the dog are back safe & sound. The meteor shower was spectacular!!! I felt as if I was standing under a cherry tree as the blossoms were falling! I can't wait to get my films back to see what I got.

The first night it rained early but cleared up. The second night it hit freezing around 9 PM, but I had so much down with me you'd think I owned a goose farm! We were toasty!......... with a little help from hot buttered rum! LOL!

I also went to see the Lava Tube Cave. I never knew there was so much to see in Mojave!

Cheers!
                      Cat

Comment

Glad to hear you stayed toasty and got a great show!

I look forward to the pics if you digitize some of them.

Christian
                        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Working...
                        X