Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Death Valley Mine Exploring

[COLOR="Blue"]I was able to get up into the Death VAlley area and do some exploring of the mines from 1800's and early 1900's mining era. There are some of the most awesome mines and mining equipment to be found anywhere.

I did 3 loop trails;

- South Park Canyon, Middle Park and Pleasent Cyn, which I give a 10+ scenic rating.

- Jail Canyon, Charcoal Kilns - a 10 rating

- Talc City/Cerro Gordo Loop - a 10++ rating. The trail goes across the White Mt range @ about 10,000 ft.

Trails are all rated Moderate.[/COLOR]

SOUTH PARK

Middle Park

DEATH VALLEY BELOW

ROGERS PASS

Comment

Awesome pictures Mike.

Were the Cabins available? All were occupied when I went a couple of weeks back. Such a neat area.

Mitch

Comment

PLEASENT CANYON

CLAIR CAMP

Comment

JAIL CANYON/CHARCOAL KILNS

BALARAT

WE SPENT THE NIGHT AT JAIL CABIN

CHARCOAL KILNS

Comment

Mike,

Dave and I were hoping that the World Beater Cabin was open, but no. Did you stay at the cabin at the Gem Mine (Corona mine)? An Adopt A Cabin group had just recently replaced the roof and it seemed to be in decent condition. I will take some goodies next time I go there to continue the repairs and updates.

Mitch

Comment

TALC CITY MINES

Comment

CERRO GORDO

CERRO GORDO. AN ACTIVE MINING CAMP

THE TRAM CABIN

THE SALINE VALLEY SALT TRAM

SALINE DRY LAKE DVNP.

SIERRA NEVADA RANGE

MT. WHITNEY

OWENS VALLEY BELOW

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]You know Mitch we didn't pass a single vehicle on any of the trails, and ALL of the cabins were available. I guess mondays are the day to go.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

this looks really fun. i would love to get out there one of these days, i love mines!
                    It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Comment

Great pictures Mike and looks like a fun trip.
                      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Hey Mike,

Those pics are great!

Thanks for putting them up.

Christian
                        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]I took so many pictures (767) to be exact. One of the cool sites was the Salt Tram that went from Saline Valley in DV over the mountain down to Swansea. It was the shortest route to get the salt to a place where it could be transported. When salt prices went down, it wasn't profitable to keep up the operation.

The tram towers are still in great shape. At first sight I thought we were looking at Noah's Ark under construction. On the road down to Swansea you can still see many of the towers from the trail.

The tram station is at 8700 ft and is currently being restored by volunteers.

A little side note: Since Mitch was a couple mines up on me, I had to do some catch up. LOL

A few more pix of the Salt Tram[/COLOR]

Click the link

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                            [COLOR="Blue"]I took so many pictures (767) to be exact. One of the cool sites was the Salt Tram that went from Saline Valley in DV over the mountain down to Swansea. It was the shortest route to get the salt to a place where it could be transported. When salt prices went down, it wasn't profitable to keep up the operation.

The tram towers are still in great shape. At first sight I thought we were looking at Noah's Ark under construction. On the road down to Swansea you can still see many of the towers from the trail.

The tram station is at 8700 ft and is currently being restored by volunteers.

A little side note: Since Mitch was a couple mines up on me, I had to do some catch up. LOL

A few more pix of the Salt Tram[/COLOR]

Click the link

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow
                            When we were in the Ballarat area 4 weeks ago, we met someone who had a few stories about that Salt Tram.

I like the additional pics of the towers and the buildings.

I look foward to going there sometime.

Christian
                            "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

A lot of great pictures. Thanks!
                              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
                              X