Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked over the 4sale picture, but I was not able to get a phone eaither... my pictures are low resolution in order to share them quicky... sorry for that...
    do you tried IH8MUD? maybe they are listed there...

anyways, commented pictures and trip report(spanish and english) are available at yopo

pics
    http://www.yopo4x4.com/index.php?mod...&id=23&eid=354

trip report (go all the way down for english, sort of)
    http://www.yopo4x4.com/?mod=post&id=11&eid=246

MP = Mensaje Privado
    PM = Private Message...

November 6, 7 & 8 - 2009

What an epic trip, everything went wrong, but turns out right. From the basics stuff like loading Buttercup, to the stunt techniques to be able to drive and jump over the dunes.

Well, first of all, I was able to participate on this trip. My brother in law arrived the same Friday that I was cooking at the Sand Chef competition. I agreed with Carol to be back at home Sunday. In order to meet my goal, my plan was to leave early on Sunday, and missing the Pozo Saloon run as usual. Every year, for one reason or another, I’m missing that run.

Packing Buttercup with stuff…

11/05 – 18:00 - packing at my place…

11/06 – 08:30 – unpack at Luís’ place…

11/06 – 10:00 – packing at Luís’ place with all our crew stuff…

11/06 – 17:00 – unpack stuff at Pismo Beach for Sand Chef Competition…

11/06 – 23:00 – packing stuff at Pismo and looking for a camping spot…

11/06 – 24:00 - unpack at SoCal campground… NorCal was crowed as usual…

11/07 – 06:00 – packing in a hurry due to high tide…almost catch us…

11/07– 07:00 – unpack in higher sand…

11/07 – 16:00 – packing everything in order to leave early on Sunday…

11/08 – 14:00 – unpack stuff at Luís’ place…

11/08 – 14:30 – unpack stuff at my place…

In a regular trip, this is just a four steps process…it looks like I expended the entire trip packing!!!

Anyways, we had a blast at Sand Chef Competition. We did the menu this year, but I forgot to bring it to the table!!! I’m not a good waitress as you can see…not even a pretty one…

Our empanadas were a huge success; however, we had issues cooking them. The filling was shredded chicken that Luis cooked. The dough consistency was not right, but we added the egg as a “secret ingredient” and more corn flour and we solved our problem. Then, finding the “appetizer” size was another issue. We keep the big ones for ourselves. It was a smart decision from us.

Our main dish was Chicken Eggs Shells, and the tricky part was the shell, made from the white from the eggs, and Luis cooked in the shape we wanted. Other than that, filled with shredded chicken, red peppers as ornament, and sand made mayonnaise.

Our third dish was Crème Brulee. We had hard time flaming the caramel, just one torch was not enough and the oven, yeah, we had an electric oven at the beach, was too small to handle five cups, we did just four, and that is against our final points.

At midnight or so, we set our camp close to the SoCal guys. The next day, I waked up early, and I was talking with friends when I realized how close the waves were from our tent, the hide tide was reaching areas that normally don’t get wet. I saw a huge wave going over a parked truck, so I wake up Luís and Magda and helped them to move our camp to higher sands. Then, we had breakfast.

The poker run was at noon, so we had plenty of time to play at the dunes, and we did so until Cathead broke the oil reserve hose from his shock absorber due to wrong set-up, jumping over the dunes had nothing to do with that, of course. The rig will survive without a shock absorber, so we took care of the leaking problem and went to main campground looking for our cards for the poker run. It was fun driving over the dunes searching for the check points, our poker hands sucks, so instead of the traditional un-official jumps, Luís and Magda rented quads and we went with them to take way to many pictures.

Well, almost at sunset, the day was gone, so we went to camp and packed all the stuff in one truck and then, driving the other truck, we had dinner in town. Meanwhile, Luís did arrangements to stay at the hotel that night. It is way too difficult to pack and leave early the same day, so we did it one day ahead.

Cathead and I camped at the beach; we explained the up-grades to Cathead’s truck over and over again to our friends. We wake up-early, went to town for breakfast, air up, fill up and drove home, no stop, without any issues.

Roberto L. Miranda

Comment

Working...
    X