Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Ballarat Area

Had a great trip into Panamint and Death Valley. Ran into several MJR folks up there. I didn't take many photos, and I know Roger did, so he'll post a lot more!

Six of caravaned from the SFV, 3 non-MJR people, plus Geebo, Phoenix, and myself. The trip was being led by my friend Chuck C., who has been off-roading this area since before Manson's time!

Our first stop after gas in Trona was the old Chinese encampment. Moderate shelf road leads down to an area where the Chinese slaves made their home. Basically 3'X6' piles of rocks as walls, about 18-20" tall. Chuck says they use to find Chinese coins and Opium bottles out there all the time. A little further down the road, and we hit pavement, and off to Ballarat.

Day 1
    Go up Pleasant, then down South Park. Camp near/in Goler Wash.

Morning near Ballarat

Following Geebo through Pleasant Cyn

Some of the wildlife in Pleasant Cyn

A few steep hills, bypassing Middle Park

Dusty

Heading down South Park

Phoenix had an overheating issue in his 85 CJ7. Once we got it to Rita's Cabin, and let it cool under the trees, we pulled the defective thermostat, made a gasket out of a paper plate, and we were good to go.

Day 2
    Goler Wash, Barker Ranch, Geology Cabin, Warm Springs Resort, then the group splits.

A few pics of Barker Ranch

Going down Mengle Pass

Striped Butte

We continued down pavement on the Death Valley floor, where 4 of us headed south east to Shoeshone (sp?) for gas then the trip home to the SFV. Roger and the others went north to Furnace Creek for gas, and more offroading the next day.

A great trip. Would make a great MJR get-together because of there is so much open space for camping, and tons of stuff to see!

Awesome Pic's!

I can't wait to get up that way and see all of that!

Thanks for sharing!

Scott
    "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

First of all, thanks Steve for letting me & my sons tag along again this year. It was an awsome trip.

I'm not sure where to start so here's some photos:

Our first run was up Surprise Canyon to the mines. Some one tourched the buildings & trees but the equipment is still there. My son Steve is in the photo, he really enjoyed the trip:

Here's the stream flowing down the canyon:

Heading up Pleasant Canyon:

My son Steve on the left and my other son Bill on the right checking out some of the mining equipment at Clair Camp:

View from Roger's Pass (photo by Alyn my daughter in law):

Another view (photo by Alyn my daughter in law):

SAR Jeeper sSteve spotting me at Chicken Rock in Southpark Canyon (Photo by Alyn my daughter in law):

Sunday we took Golar Wash from Windgate Rd to Bad Water Rd.

Here's a shot of us all parked at the Keystone Mine:

Here's the main house at the mine:

Here's a cabin called Newman Mine:

We ran Golar wash to Mengle Pass, then lunch at the Geologist Cabin, on through Bute Valley, to Warm Springs and at Bad Water Road, most everyone headed home.

I stayed with the three friends of SAR Jeepers for one more night in Death Valley. We camped at Texas Spring Campground and I enjoyed the running water for sure! We had dinner there at the cafe in Furnace Creek Ranch.

The next morning the guys were heading to Beatty NV.

I needed to sort of head home. I took the long way taking Hwy 190 to US 395. I have always wanted to check out the (almost gost town) of Darwin. This was my golden opportunity. It was a major mining Center located in the Coso mining district. There's not much of the town left but people still live there:

There are no stores there, only a post office.

I did find this old building though. Check out the old style gas pumps. I didn't know there were any around anymore. They obviously have not been in service for a long time:

Well I had a great time with my sons, daughert in law, MJR friends, and my new friends, Chuck, Dave & Jim.

This is my third trip to Ballarat and there is still so much to see. Jail Cyn, Defence Mine, Darwin Falls, to name a few. I'll be going back....
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Great pics! Good seeing you guys in Ballarat.
        :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Great meeting you guys @ Rita's Cabin. Thanks for the tip on the Middle Park by-pass, made for some spectacular viewing at higher altitudes.
          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

I thought I had read somwhere (here, this forum?) that the downhill behind Ritas had been barricaded off by the NPS.
            We used to travel that route all the time to get over the hill.

Comment

Great pictures everyone. It was nice seeing you guys in Ballarat Saturday morning.

Jim: The steep trail from Rita's Cabin to Middle Park is still open. There was a very steep, loose side trail that is now blocked under the guise of "Wilderness Restoration". Several neat looking and very well established trails were blocked around Middle Park and Roger's Pass. Those signs just tell me: fun area ahead, keep out!

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                Great pictures everyone. It was nice seeing you guys in Ballarat Saturday morning.

Jim: The steep trail from Rita's Cabin to Middle Park is still open. There was a very steep, loose side trail that is now blocked under the guise of "Wilderness Restoration". Several neat looking and very well established trails were blocked around Middle Park and Roger's Pass. Those signs just tell me: fun area ahead, keep out!

Mitch

okay, got it
                thanks

Comment

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

I map quested it in case someone wanted to see where it was at.

Almost 3hrs from Hesperia, ca. 92345

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1z=92345&2c=Darwin&2s=ca
                  Last edited by Jeep4cern; 10-28-09, 01:01 PM.

Comment

re the picture of the Newman cabin.
                    Dave Newman was a customer of ours; he had a 1969 or 1970 Jeep pickup which he would drive to his claims.
                    As he told the story, he pulled in late one night, and his cabin had been entered and food and/or other items had been taken.
                    Footprints were followed and he ended up introducing Charlie to his .45, and advised them not to enter his property again.
                    Of course, he didn't know what he had in front of him at the time....
                    he always said he shoulda just pulled the trigger when he had the chance...

he also could light an unfiltered cigarette, put it in his mouth, or let's say just let it burn down in his mouth till there wasn't a little snub of a smoke left; he didn't smoke it , just left it hanging there out of the side of his mouth while he talked; didn't seem to burn his lips at all.

I wonder if other family members have acquired the claims or kept them up...
                    Nice man, I'm sure he's passed by now.

Comment

Great reportand very nice pictures. Definitely a "to-do" on my list.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Nothing like arriving late to the party!

Life's little adventures have gotten in the way of my web surfing, since going on this trip.

A big thanks go out to SAR Jeeper for letting me tag along. His friend Chuck C. was an amazing resource about the area.

It was challenging at times for The Limo with it's itty bitty 29" tires and sagging springs, but it made it through without much damage.

The steep hills were easier than they looked. That Chicken Rock section was extremely nerve racking and even though I trusted the spotter, I really felt like I was going to drive off of the cliff. The rickety 6,000-pound maximum bridge was only slightly scary by comparison.

We could not have picked a better time to go with regard to the weather.

I had not been on the trails around the west side of Death Valley and it was fantastic!

I look forward to doing it again sometime!

...and those are some great pics!

Christian
                        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
                          Nothing like arriving late to the party!

Life's little adventures have gotten in the way of my web surfing, since going on this trip.

A big thanks go out to SAR Jeeper for letting me tag along. His friend Chuck C. was an amazing resource about the area.

It was challenging at times for The Limo with it's itty bitty 29" tires and sagging springs, but it made it through without much damage.

The steep hills were easier than they looked. That Chicken Rock section was extremely nerve racking and even though I trusted the spotter, I really felt like I was going to drive off of the cliff. The rickety 6,000-pound maximum bridge was only slightly scary by comparison.

We could not have picked a better time to go with regard to the weather.

I had not been on the trails around the west side of Death Valley and it was fantastic!

I look forward to doing it again sometime!

...and those are some great pics!

Christian
                          There you are...I thought we lost you!

We'll be going back, probably for a week, in March!

Comment

Gotta love Darwin.

Chris and I spent an hour or so there a few years ago. There are more old abandoned vehicles there then there are residents. And the few residents there are werent exactly friendly.

Still, a living ghost town. Very cool indeed.

Tam
                            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
                              There you are...I thought we lost you!

We'll be going back, probably for a week, in March!
                              I dropped off the face of the Internet for a couple of weeks, but I'm still here!

Hopefully, I can make it in March! I'm sure parts of it look very different in the spring.

I was planning on going to Moab, UT and Silverton, CO in March, but it looks like some monkey wrenches have worked their way into the mix for those.

Christian
                              "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Working...
                              X