Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Pleasant Canyon and Ballarat area

I met with Dave (Flatpoint) Saturday morning for a run out to Ballarat and Pleasant Canyon. We left at four in the morning and pulled into Ballarat at 7:15 am. I knew the Roger had a group meeting there so we stopped by to say Hi before hitting Pleasant Canyon. This was the best trip that I have ever taken out of well over a hundred! A must do run!!!!!!

Mitch

Ballarat

Great88 ready for camping!

Pleasant Canyon a little over grown

Continuing up Pleasant Canyon

Clairs Camp

World Beater Mine

Almost a shelf road. LMAO

Secluded camp spot 1 mile off the road / No wind, no noise...total peace and quiet!

A steep little trail into Middle Park from Rita's Cabin

Rogers pass from Middle Park

Looking down at Death Valley from Roger's Pass

A previously stressed out Jeeper back in his comfort zone!

Last edited by Mitch; 10-25-09, 07:25 PM.

Post up! Yea, i would agree this trip was the BEST!!!! Thanks for comming, and thanks for Jail cyn! You get around GOOD in a Rubi.....just put a sticker on Great 88, and you will be set!!!!!!
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Looks like a great trip. I can't wait to get out to daeth valley. Only a few more weeks! The views out there always amaze me. Looking at your pics made me realize I need to run pleasant canyon. One of the few places I have not been to out there.
      Mitch I envy you in that last picture. Thanks for sharing, glad you had a good trip.

Chris

Comment

This was day #2. Dave and I left Sunday morning back down Pleasant Canyon to Ballarat, then headed out to find the "Gem Mine". When we got to the spring and cabin near the mine, we bumped into Mike (Deepwater). Mike was out by himself so we all hiked up through the water and bushes to the Gem Mine. This area was incredible! So well preserved and intact. I'll be a little short on directions here but WOW! After we explored the mining equipment and mill we went to the cabin and checked it out. It appears that it is being restored like the Adopt-A-Cabins. Very nice and on it's way. Mike followed Dave and I back to Ballarat to air up and then to Trona for some gas. We split off at Hwy 395 in Hesperia. Mike, nice meeting you. I'm sure we'll see each other out there agin. Dave, awesome time again. My number #1 trip ever!

Mitch

Driving towards the Gem Mine

Cabin and trees in the distance

Check this out!

Comment

Wow I want to go up Jail canyon again. I was not aware that the mine was a short walk up past the roads end when I went there, so I have never been to the mine. Was there any shafts to explore by the equpiment?

Comment

I TOLD you so!

The Panamint and Death Valley are some of the best trails in California. There is sooo much to see there!
            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Chris,

This is a picture of one of the three adits near the mine. The other mine is 800' above the cabin. you can see the tram cables coming down from the top. It looks like that one is accessed from the other canyon to the north. We did not explore that one.

Mike: You told me so!

Mitch

Comment

Looks like a really great trail and time. I need to explore that area.
                IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  The Panamint and Death Valley are some of the best trails in California. There is sooo much to see there!
                  x2

Great report Mitch. Looks like a fun trip.
                  Check out .

Comment

Mitch, sounds like you guys had a great time.
                    This is one for the future. (for the secret handshake club)
                    The wife & I would love to take this trip.
                    Great pix. Lots of equipment still there. So glad it hasn't been vandalized or removed.
                    THanks for posting!
                    Scott

Comment

Really awesome pics, Mitch. Panamint Valley is a beautiful place.

Comment

Here are some photo's from Dave's camera. What a trip!

Mitch

great88

Old safe at Clairs Camp

Sounds interesting

Inside one of the old houses

World Beater Mine 1000 feet above Pleasant Canyon Road

Stamp Mill parts at the World Beater / Used to be a 10 stamp mill

WTF?????? Please ask questions!

A few of the locals

Welcome to the jungle!

Cabin at Gem Mine

Camp in the pines

Last edited by Mitch; 10-26-09, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Mitch & Dave,

I'm glad you stopped by Saturday morning. We had a great trip also. I was hoping SarJeeper would have posted up by now but he's probably busy working. I Guess I'll go and start our thread of our trip. I got home about 4:00 PM today.
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Mitch how was the trail up Pleasent Cyn. The last time I went through the road was washed out right before the old truck on the left.[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

The trail was fine all the way. At the end of the water and bushes there is a new trail that drops in from the north. It is said that a man named "Pruitt" has graded that road to join Pleasant Canyon and it is graded all the way to Clairs Camp. "Pruitt" is said to have all of the claims to the Mines above Clairs Camp (Ratcliff mine).

Watch this clip of the STEEP road going into Pleasant Canyon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiJX1u0n1xM

Mitch
                              Last edited by Mitch; 10-26-09, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X