Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Somewhere?

I was looking for something to do this weekend. Last weekend I ran Gold Mountain in Big Bear with a great group of guys and gals. I have another free weekend and I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or plans to do a run this weekend. I wouldn't mind going to Big Bear again and doing some other runs and checking out Octoberfest. I don't have my locker in yet, so It needs to be something I can handle on 35s and a couple of peg legs. We intended to camp the old fashioned way (in a tent and good sleeping bags), but I'm open to suggestions. Any ideas? Anyone want to make a run? Let me know.

-Slim

I want to do something too. But it would have to start early because I must head home at 1PM. I was thinking about Cleghorn followed by Pilot Rock. If possible I'd like to meet at Cleghorn off the 15 between 7:00 and 8:00 AM, which would give us enough time to do both. Now with all that said. I haven't even asked the wife if she minds. Let me know what you think....

Comment

If I didn't already have out of town Jeeping plans for the weekend I'd be there. Slim, You might want to check out Jacoby Canyon then out to Heartbreak Ridge. Also there is the short but fun 2n71x off of 2N02 near Heartbreak. Have lots of fun.

Mitch

Comment

I've got my OK. So I'm a go.....

Comment

Hey guys... A little food for thought...

I am 90% locked down on a run through Grapevine Canyon, starting in Lucerne, and ending up in the SBNF at the 3N16 - 3N14 intersection, and going to Green Valley from there. If you wanna camp you could go east to Cactus Flats, or west to Crab Flats on the 3N16.

Starting point would be at Hwy 18 & High Rd. at a little dirt turn out on the SE corner. Coords are 34 27 01.3, -117 01 57.0 (outta Charles Wells book)

So far its me in a ZJ, and a friend in a Rover Disco I. We are leaving Fountain Valley, Orange County at 8:00am Sat, 10/24. I am guessing leaving the starting point at 9:30-10:00am.

This would be my first time running this trail, but have books, maps, and GPS to get through it.

Everyone is welcome. The more the merrier !!

***UPDATE*** This run is confirmed 100%. We are leaving Euclid and the 405 @ 8:00am this Sat, and expect to be at Hwy 18 and High Rd around 9:45, leaving for the trail @ 10:00am. CB channel 7. FRS channel 7-07.
          Last edited by SmkSignals; 10-23-09, 10:43 AM.
          Kurt T.
          94 ZJ, 4X4, 5.2, 31's, open diff's.

Comment

Originally posted by SmkSignals View Post
            Hey guys... A little food for thought...

I am 90% locked down on a run through Grapevine Canyon, starting in Lucerne, and ending up in the SBNF at the 3N16 - 3N14 intersection, and going to Green Valley from there. If you wanna camp you could go east to Cactus Flats, or west to Crab Flats on the 3N16.

Starting point would be at Hwy 18 & High Rd. at a little dirt turn out on the SE corner. Coords are 34 27 01.3, -117 01 57.0 (outta Charles Wells book)

So far its me in a ZJ, and a friend in a Rover Disco I. We are leaving Fountain Valley, Orange County at 8:00am Sat, 10/24. I am guessing leaving the starting point at 9:30-10:00am.

This would be my first time running this trail, but have books, maps, and GPS to get through it.

Everyone is welcome. The more the merrier !!

***UPDATE*** This run is confirmed 100%. We are leaving Euclid and the 405 @ 8:00am this Sat, and expect to be at Hwy 18 and High Rd around 9:45, leaving for the trail @ 10:00am. CB channel 7. FRS channel 7-07.
            Fountain Valley, that's just around the corner from me. I'm in Santa Ana. We could meet you tomorrow morning and caravan up. I take it you'd take the 15 up to Apple Valley. Euclid is kind of back tracking for me. Is there someplace along the way we could meet up? I'm very punctual. You taking the 22 to the 55 to the 91?

-Slim

Comment

Originally posted by the_al_mighty View Post
              I want to do something too. But it would have to start early because I must head home at 1PM. I was thinking about Cleghorn followed by Pilot Rock. If possible I'd like to meet at Cleghorn off the 15 between 7:00 and 8:00 AM, which would give us enough time to do both. Now with all that said. I haven't even asked the wife if she minds. Let me know what you think....
              I do like Gleghorn, but Im currently sans lockers right now and all the good lines would be tough without them. I'm going to try to hook up with the guys leaving from Fountain Valley, though with your 1PM deadline that's a short day. Perhaps we can do cleghorn in a few weeks when all my goodies arrive.
              -as

Comment

Slim, a caravan is cool. PM sent
                Last edited by SmkSignals; 10-23-09, 02:05 PM.
                Kurt T.

Comment

I want to do a run that afternoon - has anyone done bull frog trail in JV? is it easy to follow and well marked? how difficult is the trail you all are doing?

Comment

I dont think it's gonna be to hard. My Charles Wells guide says "Moderate - Suitable for stock 4X4 SUV's". I saw a trail report here from Mitch (great88) and it looks like fun. So far 3 rigs planned. Slim is going to caravan up with us. I still plan on being at 18 & High Rd at 9:45 ish. I can PM my cell to anyone interested.

Heres a link for some waypoints -
                    http://www.funtreks.com/download/gps...ine_canyon.gpx

here is great88's MJR trail report -
                    http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ight=grapevine

Mitch's route was a bit different than my planned route. I am going to stay on 4N16 to 3N14 to 3N16, then head to Green Valley Lake.
                    Last edited by SmkSignals; 10-23-09, 03:36 PM.
                    Kurt T.

Comment

I dont think it's gonna be to hard. My Charles Wells guide says "Moderate - Suitable for stock 4X4 SUV's". I saw a trail report here from Mitch (great88) and it looks like fun. So far 3 rigs planned. Slim is going to caravan up with us. I still plan on being at 18 & High Rd at 9:45 ish. I can PM my cell to anyone interested.

Heres a link for some waypoints -
                      http://www.funtreks.com/download/gps...ine_canyon.gpx

here is great88's MJR trail report -
                      http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ight=grapevine

Mitch's route was a bit different than my planned route. I am going to stay on 4N16 to 3N14 to 3N16, then head to Green Valley Lake.
                      [COLOR="Blue"]Your whole route is easy 2wd forest roads. But a very nice drive. It's a little hard to get on Grapevine at the beginning of the trail. They blocked off the road at the rail road crossing. You have to find a different place to cross now.
                      mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                        [COLOR="Blue"]It's a little hard to get on Grapevine at the beginning of the trail. They blocked off the road at the rail road crossing. You have to find a different place to cross now.
                        mk[/COLOR]
                        Thanks for the heads up MK !! Any suggestions ??
                        Kurt T.

Comment

Any suggestions ??
                          i just google earth'd it. looks like we can cross at High Rd, and backtrack to Grapevine. Thanks again !!
                          Kurt T.

Comment

i just google earth'd it. looks like we can cross at High Rd, and backtrack to Grapevine. Thanks again !!
                            [COLOR="Blue"]You can take High Rd to Castle Rock Rd, turn right and work your way over to the Grapevine. The trail starts at the Rail road tracks.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

The name of this thread says it all. SOMEWHERE... anywhere but where I'm at now. WORK! ~
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X