Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Skykine Drive - Santa Ana Mts

[COLOR="Blue"]My kids and I took a drive through the Santa Ana Mountains on Sat. We started in So. Corona and ended at the Santa Rosa Plateau in SanDiego County.

The route is suitable for any stock SUV. 2wd or 4wd. The trail runs the razor back of the SA Mts. In many places you can look at the IE over one shoulder and OC over the other.

From Santiago Peak (@5900ft) the trail goes on over to hwy 74, and from there on across the top of the mt. range down to Tenaja Station where there is a well to fill up your water bottles.

From Tenaja it's a short drive to the Santa Rosa Plateau Reserve where we did a 5 mile hike down to the Santa Rosa ranch adobes, which date back to the 1850's.

It turned out to be a very nice day trip.

A few pix[/COLOR]

Lake Matthews

The ridge to Santiago pk.

Santiago Peak

The IE

Lake Elsinore

Trail to hwy 74

PicNic area at the top of Ortega Hwy

The well @ Tenaja

One of the many ranches in the area

Santa Rosa Reserve hiking area.

The Santa Rosa Ranch Adobe's

This is a awesome hiking area--most of it is FLAT!!

How fortunate your kids are to not be at home watching TV. That looks like a great day trip.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Was the gate open at the bottom of Skyline or do you have a key?

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
        Was the gate open at the bottom of Skyline or do you have a key?
        [COLOR="Blue"]I have a pair of 18" master keys...just kidding. The gate at Weirick road was open. I called first to make sure. They said they open and close the gate depending on weather conditions and high fire risk, so call first. Cleaveland NF Trabucco district.

I think the Skyline Dr in Corona has been converted into a hiking only trail?? at least that is what it said at the gate. [/COLOR]

Comment

That is a great area. I have had the distinct pleasure of camping at Rancho Santa Rosa....one of the perks of being a member of ECV. Thanks for taking the time to stop and read one of our plaques.
          Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
            [COLOR="Blue"]I have a pair of 18" master keys...just kidding. The gate at Weirick road was open. I called first to make sure. They said they open and close the gate depending on weather conditions and high fire risk, so call first. Cleaveland NF Trabucco district.

I think the Skyline Dr in Corona has been converted into a hiking only trail?? at least that is what it said at the gate. [/COLOR]
            No, you just have to put down the $100 deposit for the key to the County of Riverside.

Comment

Looks great Mike. I was up along the Santiago ridge line a few weeks ago. So pretty up there. I like the part near the top of Indian Truck Trail in all the big pine trees.
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
              X