Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

I really enjoyed being unplugged and wandering around in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park this weekend. It was an amazing weekend, but unfortunately ended with my friend Mike's Toyota Tundra Limited truck burning to the ground. :-(

Saturday morning Mike came by the hotel with his son Reilly and I finished loading up the Jeep with my gear and the almost 9 gallons of water and Gatorade. By the way, we drank all of it and each drank 2 gallons on Saturday alone.

We rolled out the 8 to Ocotillo and then took County Road S2 to begin our trek through the Carrizo Badlands up Canyon Sin Nombre. After that we went up Arroyo Seco del Diablo and then crossed over to Arroyo Tapiado and came down that canyon. We camped that night in Arroyo Tapiado.

I left some more of my Jeep's paint on a rock and we had to change one of Mike's tires, which had lost in a confrontation with a sharp rock. The temperature had gone past 122 degrees and the electronic thermometer would no longer give us a reading beyond that. It was hot.

The Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is an amazing place if you are well prepared for the harsh environment, which we were. The drive up Canyon Sin Nombre was a great appetizer for the wonders to come. Arroyo Seco del Diablo allowed us to hike through some great slot canyons and Arroyo Tapiado was the crown jewel of the day with our exploration of mud caves, which maintain a constant temperature of a welcoming 65 degrees.

One cave was barely wide enough for us to squeeze through sideways with our flashlights and required us to crawl on our hands and knees through a couple of spots. When you looked up you would see bizarre formations rising 20 to 50 feet. In one spot it looked like there was a mountain within a mountain. The inner mountain looked like the Matterhorn and was a bit eerie looking when all 3 of us shined our lights up at it, because above it was a solid ceiling. We must have made our way deeper into the cave for about 15 minutes before turning around in this pseudo-karst environment.

Sunday, there was a tentative plan to meet my friend Rich who had just returned from climbing around on Mt. Rainier. If he wasn't too beat from his own adventure (he returned on Saturday night) he would meet us at the Texaco station in Ocotillo and ride shotgun with me in the Jeep. We would have picked up his vehicle on the way out.

We wandered toward civilization just far enough for me to use my Sprint phone to call and hang up on him twice before Rich could answer. Mike's T-Mobile phone was doing no better, but his Verizon phone was working well. Rich let me know that he was beat from his own wilderness experience and that he wouldn't be joining us this time.

This opened up some new possibilities for Mike and me. Mike wanted to end up on highway 78. I showed him that the most direct route would take us over a more difficult stretch of trail called "The El Diablo Dropoff." We decided to go take a look at it. It was easier than I thought it would be, but a bit more challenging than Mike thought it would be. With some rock stacking and careful spotting, we both managed to get through this section with some minor scrapes. It gave us both a great feeling of wilderness accomplishment.

We came out in Fish Creek Wash and turned left to run up Sandstone Canyon. This was simply awesome as the canyon got narrower and narrower, until we could only proceed on foot. It was as close as it gets in SoCal to wandering through the Grand Canyon.

Coming out the way we went in, we continued past where The Diablo Dropoff ushered us into Fish Creek Wash past the foot trail to the Wind Caves and through Split Mountain Gorge. Split Mountain Gorge is a canyon that passes right through the middle of a mountain and is spectacular.

This brought us to Spit Mountain Road, which had us back on pavement. We decided to look for a gas station to bring our tires back up to full pressure for getting back on the highway and heading back to civilization after an outstanding weekend.

Just past the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park sign, Mike flashed his lights at me and pulled over. I pulled over and backed up to where he was. It looked like steam was coming out of the radiator and we thought that he had sprung a leak in his cooling system. When Mike popped the hood we noticed that the paint was starting to bubble and then saw flames in the engine compartment.

Mike and I were both carrying fire extinguishers and discharged them under the hood, but by now the fire was too big. We called 911 and then immediately hauled all of the stuff out of the truck starting with the (5) 5-gallon gas cans and the propane bottles. Some locals came to our aid and helped us move everything across and down the street.

That's when things started exploding. The nitrogen charged shock absorbers and tires all blew up one at a time sending shrapnel flying. Upon later inspection it was discovered the the driveshaft actually exploded in the fire. It was so hot that the aluminum rims melted right off of the axels. All that was left were the steel components of the truck.

I felt aweful for Mike as that truck was his pride and joy. Mike and I are both "glass half full" guys and we immediately started concentrating on the positive aspects. No one was hurt and we got almost all of the personal belongings out of the truck. The fire fighters were able to reach the vehicle and the fire was extinguished with no damage to any other property or the State Park. Mike has another vehicle to use for work and this ultimately just comes down to a bunch of paperwork. That's an oversimplification, but that's how we chose to think about it.

From there, Mike was able to get the things that were salvaged from the truck into his van and home with the help of his lovely wife and family.

From there I drove back to the hotel via the 78 through Julian and then to Ramona and down the 67 to El Cajon. This was a very scenic drive and exposed me to some beautiful countryside in San Diego. From here it was a short drive back to the 15 via the 8 where the hotel was located.

Mike has posted pictures here:

http://www.chasenetworks.com/public/anza2009/

I really look foward to going back to this area.

Christian
    Last edited by headhunter; 09-29-09, 01:06 AM.
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Wow! I'm sure sorry about your buddy's truck. Hopefully his insurance company will be very good to work with. Do you know what caused the fire?

Other than that, it's great you had a good time. Yes Anza Borregro is still very hot this time of year. Mid-November through March is the best time of year there.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Great write up Christian. Anza Borrego is a beautiful place. Sorry to hear about the truck. Looks like it started in the cab. Glad his made it out OK.
      Check out .

Comment

Christian,

It has to suck to be able to take pitures of your ride as it burns to the ground, and not be able to do anything about it. Glad that nobody was hurt, including the Limo!

Nice write up.

Mitch

Comment

any idea what started the fire?
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Good report Christian, and sorry to hear about your friends truck. I've spent about a decade exploring the Anza B area and still havent covered it all. 122?? ouch. I did a run in May when it was 95 degrees and I thought I was gonna die.

Those mud caves are cool. The "Slot" is also a nice hike...but not in 122 degree weather.
            mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Sorry to hear about your buddies truck. The pictures are surreal.

Sounds like it would have been a perfect day of exploring.

Tam
              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
              Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

We've tried to figure out what caused the fire. It started in the engine compartment.

The only thing that I've been able to come up with is that it was something electrical. No one ever smelled fuel, which makes me think that it was not a loose fuel line, although it's a possibility.

With regard to the 122+ temperatures. The digital thermometer displayed "---" as it passed 122 degrees. I don't think it got over 125.

Amazingly enough, I felt quite good at that temperature even hiking through slot canyons in full sun. I even helped change a tire on the truck and felt good.

I've seen people go into atrial fibrillation from dehydration before, so I was extremely careful about making sure that we were all drinking plenty of liquid.

Every half hour I was telling everyone to make sure they were drinking. I was alternating a quart of water with a quart of Gatorade and each of us drank 2 gallons that first day. It was apparently not too much, because from the time I left the hotel at 9:00 am to the time I went to sleep at 10:00 pm I only had to pee once just before going to bed.

I was testing out a new long sleeved T-shirt made of a super light wicking material instead of my usual 100% cotton T-shirt. I think this helped with the comfort level and I went and bought another similar shirt to this from a different manufacturer to compare the durability between brands.

We didn't think it would get hotter than about 110 degrees, but based on this experience, if I have another opportunity to go wheeling in extreme heat, I won't let it stop me. I'll just base my liquid intake on a rate of 2 gallons per day instead of 1 gallon per day. However, I did skip the 1 mile hike to the Wind Caves on Sunday.

Mike is doing pretty well with the loss of his truck. He's insured and hopefully he'll do well with the insurance company. He's already thinking about getting the Ford F150 SVT Raptor (http://www.fordvehicles.com/f150raptor/).

I told him to get a Jeep, but he doesn't seem to be on that page with his thinking at this point...yet!

On a side note, I was really concerned about the Diablo Dropoff and whether we were going to have any trouble with it. It turned out to be a walk in the park. The little canyon between the drop off and Fish Creek Wash turned out to be a bit more of a challenge. My stock Scrambler had no problems getting through this, but the Toyota Tundra needed a bit of rock stacking and considerably more spotting, because of its length.

Christian
                "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Christian would you be up to leading a run in this area when it cools off? I am extreamly interested in this area because because it is so close to home.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Great report! Really sorry to hear about the truck.

Comment

insurance gonna cover it?
                      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                        Christian would you be up to leading a run in this area when it cools off? I am extreamly interested in this area because because it is so close to home.
                        Definitely! Not that I'm any expert on the area, but I think I wandered around those specific canyons enough to lead someone in the future.

I'd really like to go back and hike around a bit more when it's not so hot.

I understand that there is a good map (or maps) of the best slot canyons and mud caves in the area floating around on the net. I haven't found it, but I haven't really looked that hard. I think they even have GPS coordinates for it and I may have the Garmin 60cSX that I've been eyeing by then.

One place I think I would skip if there had been any recent rain is the Carrizo Marshland. This is the way to the site of the Old Butterfield Stage stop. It was pretty mushy as it was.

Along with that same thought, I don't think I'd want to be in any of these canyons if there was rain in the forecast. I especially wouldn't want to be in one of those mud caves with any possibility of water coming through.

You'll love this area!

Christian

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
                          insurance gonna cover it?
                          I'm sure it will, since it happened on a paved road. Hopefully, he'll make out well with the insurance.

Maybe he'll even find some info about a recall that may have led to that fire, since it was a pretty new truck.

Christian

Comment

Working...
                          X