Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Coyote Lake Trail

As promised from the Swamp Lake Trail thread, here is the rest of the adventure in the High Sierras.

I might over-plan occasionally (Read as 'often') but I learned my lesson on Swamp Lake. I cut out all the plans to run any trail but one on Saturday. The trails in the Shaver Lake area are not to be taken lightly. In comparison, there is no trail in the San Bernardino Mtns that is as difficult as any of the black diamond trails in this area. The USFS recommends at least one locker and 32" tires for the Dusy/Ershim trail, but I recommend nothing less than two lockers and 33" tires for ANY trail rated more the 'More Difficult' (Blue Square) in this area.

Regardless, you really need to find your way to this area for at least a weekend.

From the Sand Flat staging area, you can go to many spots:

We chose the Coyote Lake Trail. The trail has two sizeable lakes on it. Red lake and Coyote Lake. The run to Red lake was challenging and pretty much a non-stop version of this:

At Red Lake, I tried my hand at a little fishing, but I didn't have any luck:

But the view was worth the walk around the lake:

After the campgrounds at Red Lake, you pass a gate to get to Coyote Lake. As with Rooster Rock, after this point the game really changes!:

The toughest part of the trail is just past the gate at Red lake. This up hill boulder field is not for the timid.:

Here is Sergio attacking the first part of the climb. Even with his 37" tires this is not an easy climb:

In my attempts, I almost gave up on getting past the first obstacle. But after several tries I was able to make it:

When we finally made it to Coyote Lake, some of the toughest trail was getting to the campsite:

But the reward was worth it! Coyote Lake is spectacular!:

The best part is that I finlly caught some Rainbow Trout. One for each of us:

The next day, we packed up but Sharon caught some nice shots of the lake before we left:

The trip back was tough, but we knew what were in for:

The last obstacle out of the trail was much tougher up hill:

If you haven't been to this area before, you REALLY need to do so.

The rest of my pics can be seen at this link:
    http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...19-09/?start=0
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Looks like a lot of fun. As always great pics and report. Thanks for sharing.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Looks like a great trail, never been on it. Thanks for the report.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Great report and pics Mike. Looks like you guys had a great trip.
        Check out .

Comment

If you haven't been to this area before, you REALLY need to do so.
          [CENTER][/CENTER]

[COLOR="Sienna"] I really think I need to get out and see this spot. Love camping in remote areas, and when/if my dad ever comes to visit again...and I have both Jeeps running... he'd probably love this spot too. Looks like a great place to wheel. Thanks for sharing this Mike![/COLOR]
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

How many miles is the trail and how long did it take you guys to get to the lake?
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Mike, great report and pix.
              My Jeep mite need a lil work before I try to tackle that kind of run.
              Looks like a lot of fun though, for sure.

Scott

Comment

Mike, great vids and those still pics are absolutely awesome! Beautiful country.

Comment

Beautiful pictures and nice report, Mike.
                  "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

[COLOR=red]I HATE YOU!:angry::poop::devil::cactus::fire:[/COLOR]
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the report; I love that area. I attempted the Coyote Lake Trail in Sep 07 with the Lock n Low Club just after the High Sierra Poker Run. I got as far as Red Lake, but I couldn't make it up the hill to Coyote Lake. One of the group who had a winch pulled himself up the hill and started winching the rest of the group until his winch overheated. So I hung out at Red Lake while the rest of the group went on to Coyote Lake, and I rejoined the group upon their return.
                      http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=84980
                      http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=84981
                      http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=84982

I'm getting beefier axles and lockers, so I'll definitely give it a go next time.

Russ
                      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                      KI6MLU

Comment

Great pictures! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                          I'm getting beefier axles and lockers...
                          [COLOR="Sienna"]Wait, who is going to be our "test subject" for Holcomb Creek? When we have to prove to the rangers that 31's and open diffs can negotiate our obstacles...[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                            [COLOR="Sienna"] I really think I need to get out and see this spot. Love camping in remote areas, and when/if my dad ever comes to visit again...and I have both Jeeps running... he'd probably love this spot too. Looks like a great place to wheel. Thanks for sharing this Mike![/COLOR]
                            both jeeps? I can't wait to see you try that trail with the Liberty!
                            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

We got a full size Tahoe almost to Red Lake. the guy driving it decided he could not make it though the squeeze.
                              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Working...
                              X