Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Last minute Run to Rattlesnake Canyon for Documentation

Hey I know it's the last minute but if a couple of people are available to go with me to:

1. Try to meet up with Billy Mitchell the cattleman and talk with him.

2. Take some photos of his new entrance and other signs along the trail

3. Do a run up and back the canyon.

4. Map the other northern route to and from Hwy 247 as a possible alternate entrance to put less stress on Billy & his cattle. (I'm hesitant to run it alone not knowing the condition of it.)

The information we gather will be posted on our new website Sarah created: www.rattlesnakecanyontrail.com

If you can join me, meet me at 9:00 AM at the Valero Station. CB Channel 4 and/or 146.550 MHz. Post up and let me know if you're going so I will be looking for you.

Thanks!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Roger,

Thanks for the time you are spending on this.

1. Billy Mitchell (Landowner/Rancher) is a very nice guy and should be receptive to anyones help. His big issue is that while the 60 foot wide corridor through the Wilderness section of Rattlesnake Canyon was approved by congress, the dirt road leading to his property is not a "signed trail" for OHV's and is maintained by him alone.

There are 2 15 mph speed limit signs inside his leased grazing area, both facing towards southbound traffic. There are new signs at 3 "spring/water trough" areas requesting that you avoid these areas and don't harrass the cattle. He also has a "Domestic animal grazing area" sign at the enterance to his land. I have not seen any signs facing towards north bound traffic. You should ask how far up the Canyon does his grazing area reach.

4. Although you can get through the wash down to Hwy 247, there is not a trail, and it is very sandy and soft. Also this still would not bypass the several miles of grazing cattle in Rattlesnake Canyon itself.

Good luck on your adventure, and thanks again.

Give a call on the CB when you are on your way, I'll be out there playing in the area.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
      You should ask how far up the Canyon does his grazing area reach.

Mitch
      All the way up to the FS land. He has a cabin up the canyon close to the top as well.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Um.. I took that "other" way to the canyon from 247 once, leading a run... but the problem was, I just turned too soon and messed the whole run up. I hope that the way I took didn't get any followers because it was a wreck of a trek...
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
          Roger,

Thanks for the time you are spending on this.

1. Billy Mitchell (Landowner/Rancher) is a very nice guy and should be receptive to anyones help. His big issue is that while the 60 foot wide corridor through the Wilderness section of Rattlesnake Canyon was approved by congress, the dirt road leading to his property is not a "signed trail" for OHV's and is maintained by him alone.

There are 2 15 mph speed limit signs inside his leased grazing area, both facing towards southbound traffic. There are new signs at 3 "spring/water trough" areas requesting that you avoid these areas and don't harrass the cattle. He also has a "Domestic animal grazing area" sign at the enterance to his land. I have not seen any signs facing towards north bound traffic. You should ask how far up the Canyon does his grazing area reach.

4. Although you can get through the wash down to Hwy 247, there is not a trail, and it is very sandy and soft. Also this still would not bypass the several miles of grazing cattle in Rattlesnake Canyon itself.

Good luck on your adventure, and thanks again.

Give a call on the CB when you are on your way, I'll be out there playing in the area.

Mitch
          What happened to #3?
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I've done #3 over a dozen times! Other plans tomorrow otherwise I'd join Roger.

Kurt, I'd love to know where his "other" place is. I have explored so much of the area around the upper springs and have seen a lot of cabins up there, but no people around.

Mitch

Comment

Dang! I was hoping for at least one other person avaiable... Oh well, it was too short of a notice. If you don't hear from me by Sunday, send out a search party.
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger,

I know where you will be today, and I always have your back! I'll be on the huge pile of rocks to your left on your way out there (umm... I've got a FROG in my throat). I'll check in with you by noon.

Mitch

Comment

Roger,

This is a great thing you're doing. I wish I could join you but I'm working.:mad:
                  Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                    Roger,

This is a great thing you're doing. I wish I could join you but I'm working.:mad:

Chuck,

Does that mean I suck? I think that's what you told Doug last week when you had to work

All kidding aside, I glad to tackle this project. I truly thank everyone that supports this.

I just wish I had planned the trip with a little more advanced notice. I have all the survival stuff I need, but I'm not wild about going it alone.
                    MJR moderator
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Last minute change. Just as I was leaving the house, I received a call from Mrs. Mitchell asking me to come at 2:30 this afternoon to talk with them. She seemed very open and friendly.

I will report what transpired later today.
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger,
                        Post up again if you decide the run is necessary.
                        If I can. I will join you.

Scott

Comment

ANyone want to do this duing the week, we have a couple of guys available Wed and Thursday..

Comment

Check out the Problems in RattleSnake Canyon thread . . . it looks like Roger has already met with the Mitchells and there are some plans in the works.
                            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                            X