Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Anza-Borrego Desert State Park: Easy - Moderate Trails

I'm still working in San Diego.

This last weekend was dedicated to some amazing scuba diving in La Jolla.

This weekend I'm going home to Altadena and trading all of my scuba gear for my off roading gear and hauling that back to San Diego with me in The Limo.

I'm planning on spending the following weekend in San Diego (9/26 - 9/27) for some wheeling in the Anza Borrego Desert State Park and wanted to post it up as a trail run.

I'm flexible on where to go, but I was reading writeups in Southern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails (Charles Wells), as well as, Afoot & Afield San Diego County (Jerry Schad) and it looks like some of these trails match up for a "best of" tour of the area.

I'm thinking that the following would be good for a full day of wheeling on Saturday and if anyone wants to camp out and add more exploring on Sunday that would be awesome.

Canyon Sin Nombre - Described by Wells as "a geologic wonderland that cuts through striking Carrizo Badlands. Follows Butterfield Stage Route through Vallecito Valley." Schad lists it as one of his "best of" hikes in his appendix and calls it "One of the best examples of a slot canyon in Anza-Borrego's south end...."

Arroyo Tapiado/Arroyo Seco Del Diablo Loop - These trails are listed by Wells as part of a more difficult trail going through Diablo Drop off. We would skip the Diablo Dropoff, which would make this a moderate route. This route will lead us to the larger mud caves that the area is well known for. Some of these are 80 feet high and 1,000 feet long and may be one of the largest mud cave networks in the world. Schad describes many side trips on foot into narrow tributary ravines that we could explore.

These trails are listed as "suitable for stock 4x4 SUVs with high ground clearance" by Wells.

Who's up for a little exploring?!

Christian
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

I'm very interested. I am going to the Dolphins v. Chargers game Sunday, so any extra wheeling Sunday is out for me. The game on Sunday may hinder my going out Saturday as well because I don't know how much of my tailgate preparation will get done during the week before the game.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

You will love the Arroyo Tapiado area. Bring a flashlight and headlamp and give yourself plenty of time to explore the mud caves....they are amazing.
      Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Diablo's dropoff is easy. I was expecting problems for a buddy that went with me in a stock Grand Cherokee. A little bit of spotting and he had no problems. Most of the sand washes make you want to blast through them, but they're alot of fun. I might be up to joining you, but not sure yet. I'll chime in if I'm going. If not, have fun.

Jim
        WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

Yeah, the dropoff isn't that big of a deal. There's alot to see throughout the carrizo badlands. If you feel like getting a little wet, continue heading east on Vallecito Wash past Canyon Sin Nombre and that'll take into Carrizo Creek. If you do go out through diablo dropoff be sure to checkout Sandstone Canyon. Continuing on towards the back of Fish Creek to split rock is also an interesting drive. If I can make it out that weekend I'll be sure to let ya know.

Comment

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of wheeling on Sunday also.

I'm not sure if I'll stay there overnight after wheeling on Saturday or if I'll just roll back to the hotel near the 15 and the 8 and then go out again on Sunday to check out other trails.

Assuming I stay out there, do any of you have recommendations for the best places to camp?

I'll have my tent with me, but most often I just take the Action Packers out and sleep in the back of the Jeep. That's what I did when driving around Death Valley for a week, since there was rarely a good place to pitch a tent where I was.

I'm hoping that some of you are able to make it.

It's going to be another great adventure!

Thanks in advance for any advice for someone new to these trails.

Christian
            "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Working...
            X