Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Odessa/Doran Canyons

Jesse (Kodiak Spirit) got a bug last night to run Odessa. He called me at 7:30, "Hey Sis, wanna run Odessa right now?" I couldn't resist.

We hit the trail head around 9:00 pm, aired-down, disconnected, and took off the soft top. Odessa was quite tore up. At many of the tighter squeezes and turns it is as if someone widened them, thus the challenges were gone. The trail itself seemed as if someone had moved all kinds of rocks and small boulders throughout it as nice pumpkin getters. The one section where it likes to grab the drivers side top & mirror of the rigs was really tore up and it now has another top-grabber toward the top that you don't realize till your front end has slipped into it....however, I managed to spare the DJ once again. All the waterfull step-ups were smooth and easy to climb. At the end where the car was taken out and people have been going up the side...is still doable on the normal road with some slow & patient spotting, but quite scary in the dark!!

After Odessa we went in some of the mines just above it. One of them had a huge shoot that was open with nothing keeping things out...we couldn't see the bottom. That was kinda scary...hopefully people who have kids going thru those keep them close by.

Then we headed over to go down Doran. Once again it seemed like someone put all kinds of pumpkin getters on the trail. The waterfalls were still a LOT of fun and my poor tail pipe got beat up even more. I managed to use my rock sliders a few times, too!

At the end of Doran, near the campground, they have already put up the poles to keep people out. They used two different kinds of poles, the normal skinny ones seen all over the forest where you can add the wire, and then some solid steel poles. There were no wires connecting any of them so the quads & dirt bikes can still go thru all of them.

Anyways, it was an awesome night of wheeling!!

Also, it was quite eery when we realized we had not seen one other person, camper, rig, off-roader out there at all...and we were there from 9:00 pm to 1:30 am!

Thanks for calling me Jess :haha:

Oh...no pictures were taken, we were having too much fun!

No pics!? Well, glad you and your brother had a good time up there.

Comment

Sounds like you had a good trip. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait until it cools down so I can get back out there.

Comment

Jesse,

Thanks for the offer, but couldn't make it. Sounds like you and Julie both had fun. No pictures is not good. Maybe you didn't really leave the house!

Mitch

Comment

Hey Jesse,
          Wish I coulda tagged along!
          You ruined my nite at work, my mind was elswhere. :drool:

Glad you and Julie made a nite of it though.
          Good Times.

Scott

Comment

I am prolly getting known for my last minute wheeling ideas, but if you doubt our run, you can check out DJ's rock sliders! she tore up both sides coming down Doran, on an extra credit side trail... I don't bother with pic's though, I should though, maybe a camera is in my future... We got out there and the clouds were really hiding the moon so it was pitch, and I was thinking of that movie Pitch Black, but we had two kids with us so I didnt say anything. There were no other people there, it was eerie, I have never been when there was not so much as a couple of dirtbikers and some campfires/ campers. There was nobody. Going up that last part of Odessa was a chiller man, I have rolled my jeep twice in the same direction and I thought for sure I was fixing to do that same maneuver again! I have led the trail and drove thru the narrow patch so many times without even blinking, but this time in the dark, was different. Julie did a great job spotting me thru -'cause I made it!- but I was cursing my 5-spd at that moment, I tell you!

Sorry Scott, man I felt bad for you! I will try not to ever do that to you again... :devil:
            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Working...
            X