Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Lightning Ridge/South Big Bear

Today I met Curtis at Onyx Summit at 9:00am. With no diffinate hits for Mottino Wash, we headed up 2N93D Lightning Ridge Trail (black diamond).

Lightning Ridge / nice rocky, loose, steep trail going to Lightning Peak 9800ft

Awesome trees along the way.

Crystal blue skies from the summit / Big Bear Lake in the distance.

Wildhorse Springs on the way down to Hwy 38

Lunch stop at Seven Oaks at the Santa Ana River

Next we took 1N09 to Clarks Grade 1N54

Then we headed east on Skyline Drive 2N10

Then north on 2N08 to Big Bear Lake / Solar Observatory in the background

Temps were around 75' all day. Thanks Curtis for a great day. This was a lot of the trails that Curtis led last weekend with the addition of the Black Diamond stuff. Lots of fun.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 09-06-09, 06:12 PM.

VERY-VERY nice pictures. Nice camera too. Thanks Mitch!

Comment

Lightning ridge is fun, also very nice pics Mitch.
      Whats ailing the great88? Need a hand putting the ole beast back together?

Comment

My camera has been really bringing out the incredible blue skies! Thanks

Art, the Jeep went in for a rear main seal replacment and Ken pulled the bottom rod caps and the main bearings are damaged so he is replacing the mains, the upper rod bearings, as well as a new pan gasket and tranny filter and gasket. I guess the 3 day a week wheeling is taking it's toll. Newly employed, so the leaks will have time to heal!

Mitch

Comment

I've never even heard of Lightning Ridge, but it sure looks like a nice way to spend the day. I just came in from sanding and priming on the Jeep all day, and clicked on the video of the stream. That definitely would have been a nicer way to spend the day.

Comment

Yea had a great time today. Lighting ridge is getting a little torn up,the top is really loose and the bottom has some large holes. We even saw a trout where Mitch took the video of the stream. Mitch shot most all those pictures while the jeep was moving.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Along with the swimming trout, we also saw a Fox running in front of the Jeep for a bit, rabbits, squrriels, chipmunks, woodpeckers, and Curtis spotted some deer. Such a nice day with the blue skies and cool temps. Thanks again Curtis!

Mitch

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Nice choice of trails. Lightning ridge is one of my favorites. Love to do it again some time. Temps have really cooled off up here - barely reached 70 today.
                mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Well my driver suggested that trail! I haven't spent enough time time on the front side of the mountain. I did make Curtis drive me through town so that I could see the sites! The trails were almost empty, but Big Bear was hopping with the tourist!

Mitch

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]My driver took me over to Idylwild Sat and we climbed around Taquitz rock. But next Saturday...Mottino wash, right Curtis. I was thinking of posting a run for next Sat. if anyone is interested.
                    mk[/COLOR]
                    Last edited by mkjeepers; 09-06-09, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Mitch. I just added this to my list of must do trails. Hopefully I can make it up there before winter.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I don't think you will make it up lightning ridge without at least a front locker Scott, it has a couple off steep parts with loose rocks and some decent size boulders you go over while climbing. Fun trail though and a stunning view on top of the ridge

Comment

So lets post that run mike.
                          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

You are right Art. You will need at least 1 locker to climb that one long, loose, steep shale section towards the top.

Mitch

Comment

Great Pictures as usual, Big Bro! Doesn't my Big Brother rock? Actually he does... he's a saxophone player, too :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X