Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: 1N37A and other stuff!

Five-day work-weeks are just too long so I'm taking Wednesday off.

Some folks and I are planning to run 1N37A and then explore some mines and stuff before we make our way over to Mottino Wash.

If you would like to join us, we are meeting at the Heart Bar campground (or the road to it) off of Hwy 38 at 9:30am.

If you think that you might be able to go, post up so that we know to look for you.
    Last edited by JeepGal; 08-27-09, 06:52 PM.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

:beer::pizza::beer::cake::cake:Well.....Ah......OK ! Mike see you at 9:30am. Mines and stuff? You talking about me?

Happy Birthday!

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
      :beer::pizza::beer::cake::cake:Well.....Ah......OK ! Mike see you at 9:30am. Mines and stuff? You talking about me?

Happy Birthday!

Mitch
      Ha! Yeah, did I mention that Mitch was in charge of that part?

[/COLOR]

Comment

@#$*&%!@ Work! Sorry my bald brother from another mother. Got wrangled into some BS at work (already told on the phone) but want to wish you a Happy Birthday tomorrow. Mitch, take care of my bro! Have a good time guys.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
          @#$*&%!@ Work! Sorry my bald brother from another mother. Got wrangled into some BS at work (already told on the phone) but want to wish you a Happy Birthday tomorrow. Mitch, take care of my bro! Have a good time guys.
          It's all good man. I'm sorry that work attacked you. I know the feeling lately. Don't worry, I'm sure that Mitch will point me to where the trouble is in your absence!

[/COLOR]

Comment

Well have fun Mike and a very happy birthday

Comment

Dang,

Too short of a notice (Although I would have been just a spectator at Mottino Wash)

Happy birthday Mike
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Happy Birthday Mike.Have a great day out there.
                Dennis & Tammy
                Last edited by GP4Play; 08-26-09, 01:00 PM.
                Dennis and Tammy
                Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Mitch are you going to do Mottino wash??
                  If I had my TJ at home I would join you.
                  mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Sorry for the short notice everyone. I meant to post this on Monday and forgot to.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      Sorry for the short notice everyone. I meant to post this on Monday and forgot to.
                      Obviously a symptom of old age, Kevin. LOL

Comment

well how did it go?
                        The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

What a day!!!!!!! I was out for 12 hours, 180 miles, ran 4 new trails, and my ass is dragging. I did lead the way into Mottino and quickly got stuck. Then as Mike was using the strap, I realized that I was in 2wheel high! Once in 4low I was able to crawl further, not far just further up the wash. Mike made that trail look easier than it is! I forgot how much fun completely new trails were.

1N37 Santa Ana River Trail
                          1N01A to Onyx Peak
                          2N01
                          2N02
                          Rattlesnake Canyon
                          Mottino Wash
                          Spanish Smelter

Mike will post a report later.

Mitch
                          Last edited by Mitch; 08-26-09, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Here's a teaser till the report. And if your name is mentioned in this clip, it's because we missed you.

Last edited by Mitch; 08-26-09, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Trail Report = The Trail Wasn't There!

At 9:30am, Mitch and I met to explore some trails on the east side of the San Bernardino range.

Today's first goal was to explore a trail listed on three different USFS maps that I have for the SBNF as 1N37A.
                              The trail has been closed to motorized traffic for years, but none of the maps that I have reflect that.

Regardless, the black diamond trail that is marked at the point that I thought was 1N37A started as a nice trail through some obviously little-traveled area. The best that I can tell based on what few signs that we could find, this trail is actually 1N37.

The 'Geared for Fun' club has adopted this trail and they have done an excellent job of maintaining it.

The sign at the start could benefit from a SBNF road number:

From the sign, the trailhead looked like this:

Since I was looking for the Heart Bar CREEK Trail, when we started CLIMBING a shelf road, I thought that we were on the wrong trail. I was sure that we were on the wrong road, especially when we got to this:

We turned around. We headed back down the trail:

After backtracking to the start, we took an easy road past several nice Yellow Post campsites:

But the trail led us to the main road through the area, 1N02. We went back to the original sign, and left Mitch's Jeep:

Even so, we were still confused by the hiking trail signs that we passed:

The end of the trail shows a sign indictating that we had been on 1N37:

There are some great views from the top of the mountain:

After running the loop to 1N05 and back down to the original trailhead, we headed over towards 1N02 to find the actual entrance to 1N37A. It has long since been blocked off:

Leaving the Heart Bar area, we headed up the hill to the 1N01 turn off. From there we climbed to the turn for 1N01A, to Onyx Peak:

The view from Onyx Peak is spectacular!:

From there, Mitch and I headed to the Mottino Wash entrance. Mitch thought that he was stuck:

But once that he realized that he got in this far with only 2WD, he could not really complain.

The 'fun' begins soon after this point:

There area several great obstacles at the beginning of the wash:

We ran out of time in the day to truly explore the Mottino Wash, But I can assure you that I plan to go back. Here's Mitch in a poser shot at the entrnce to the Wash:

We stopped by a mine and the Spanish Smelter on the way back to pavement. The Spanish Smelter was awesome in the fading light:

Mitch and I separated ways at 2N01. When I got to pavement, I captured this pic while airing up:

On the way down the 38, I was followed shortly by a coyote:

The way home had a wierd view of the sunset with the Azusa fire smoke adding color:

This was a great day on the trails! I wish that all the MJR folks could have joined us.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X