X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: The Ole Swimmin Hole on Deep Creek

Saturday September 12, 2009. 10am.

Bring your swimsuits!

IMO the Ole Swimmin Hole on Deep Creek is one of the most beautiful spots in Southern California.

Meet at the trailhead at 10am. The trailhead is on 3N34 at Tent Peg group camp at N34° 15.677 W117° 06.099. Any 4x4 vehicle should be able to get you to the trailhead.

Bring plenty of drinking water for the hike. The hike back to the cars is approx 1-1/2 miles all uphill with close to 800' gain. There will be some boulder hopping at the creek. This hike is only recommended for people in good physical shape. USFS Adventure Pass is required. Bring a lunch.

Directions: Take Hwy 18 to Green Valley Lake Rd. Green Valley Lake Rd to 3N16. 3N16 to 3N34. 3N34 to the 2W07 trailhead. Hike down 2W07 to N34 15.103 W117 06.856 From there the trail heads down the mountain (very steep) a few hundred yards to Deep Creek. Cross Deep Creek to get to the West side where you have easier access the Ole Swimmin Hole.

3N34 Dishpan ends right at Tent Peg group camp. I will not be running Dishpan, but if a group wanted to leave Lake Arrowhead around 8am it should put you at the 2W07 trailhead at about the right time.

Last edited by FishPOET; 08-26-09, 04:06 PM.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

You suck.
    Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
      You suck.
      That translates to: 'Sunday would be better for him.'

[COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Sounds like fun!
        WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          That translates to: 'Sunday would be better for him.'

[COLOR=black]Ya. That’s what I meant.[/COLOR]
          Check out .

Comment

We used to ride our dual sports through there some years ago...is this area now closed to vehicular traffic?

Comment

I have been hiking to the Ole Swimmin Hole since the early 1970's. It has never been open to motor vehicles in all that time.

Perhaps you are thinking of Devil's Hole? It is open to all forms of OHV's
              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

oh my gosh!! I *need* to go there!! but I have to work on Saturdays : ...(

....and my jeep is only stock
                Some girls like it rough!

Comment

Since the fire regulations tightened last week and closed down all dispersed camping and there are not any yellow post sites close to the trailhead I have reserved Tent Peg Group Campground for Friday and Saturday nights. Cost will be $10 per night per vehicle. Space is limited so post up with an RSVP.

Comment

Sonia and I'll be there Friday and Saturday nights

Comment

Doug,

I am planning on going Friday and spending the night, leaving late morning Saturday. I won't be able to go on the hike because I need to get back to the house before company shows up.

What time do you plan on being there and how early can I arrive?

Since I live close I would probably be there around noon or so. Is that okay?

I'll be monitoring the Keller Pk repeater (should work good there). Also the simplex 2m frequency we came up with. I can't remember it right now off the top of my head.

I'm planning on coming up through grapevine canyon. That will make it an interesting/fun route.
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                        Doug,

I am planning on going Friday and spending the night, leaving late morning Saturday. I won't be able to go on the hike because I need to get back to the house before company shows up.

What time do you plan on being there and how early can I arrive?

Since I live close I would probably be there around noon or so. Is that okay?

I'll be monitoring the Keller Pk repeater (should work good there). Also the simplex 2m frequency we came up with. I can't remember it right now off the top of my head.

I'm planning on coming up through grapevine canyon. That will make it an interesting/fun route.
                        We are leaving Norco at 11am. We are having lunch at the Cedar Glen Malt Shop. We hope to be at the Malt Shop just after noon. We should be in camp around 2pm. You can join us for lunch if you like. I will be in my truck and I will only have my HT.

Keller Peak repeater 146.385 + PL. 146.2

MJR Simplex 146.55 MHz - Primary
                        146.58 MHz - Secondary

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                          We are leaving Norco at 11am. We are having lunch at the Cedar Glen Malt Shop. We hope to be at the Malt Shop just after noon. We should be in camp around 2pm. You can join us for lunch if you like. I will be in my truck and I will only have my HT.

Keller Peak repeater 146.385 + PL. 146.2

MJR Simplex 146.55 MHz - Primary
                          146.58 MHz - Secondary

Thanks Doug, I have the frequencies at home but not here at work!

I'll Just catch you at the campground if that okay with you. What name is the reservation under in case a Ranger wanders in and wants to know why I'm there?

Oh what's your call sign again?

Roger n6ujm
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

Man, if only my Jeep was up and running...

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                              Thanks Doug, I have the frequencies at home but not here at work!

I'll Just catch you at the campground if that okay with you. What name is the reservation under in case a Ranger wanders in and wants to know why I'm there?

Oh what's your call sign again?

Roger n6ujm
                              reservation is under Guimond

KI6YXR

Comment

Working...
                              X