Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Monache Meadows (Kennedy Meadows)

My family and two others headed up to Monache Meadows this past weekend.

If you go, definitely get gas at the Shell station in Pearsonville. There is no other gas up there, and you will go through nearly half a tank getting up to Kennedy Meadows and onward into Monache. I'd recommend bringing a spare gas can if you have one.

The road up is quite nice, a dramatic shelf road, sparsely traveled, but a fair amount of falling rock was strewn over the road, so go slow around the corners!

Last weekend there was a "controlled burn" very nearby the trail into Monache Meadows. We could see/smell the smoke from the Blackrock Ranger Station, but the lady there was not particularly knowledgeable...about anything. You can get camp fire permits at the Station if you don't have yours yet (and you do need a permit for a camp fire). Photos of the fire:

The trail itself is easy, any SUV can do it. No need to air down unless you want to for smoothness. The trail alternates between sandy and rocky, but always dusty, and I mean really dusty! There is a cow gate at one point, the signage is confusing to some, but it's okay to go through, just close it behind the last driver. Here is a photo of the worst spot on the trail:

There are camp sites all over the place, but none in the actual Monache Meadows. We headed towards the "river campsites" following the signs, and had a minor water crossing, then continued northward until we reached the end of the road, and a fantastic little campsite:

There are plenty of hiking opportunities, there is a pretty little dam a mile or two up river, and of course, lots of rocks to climb around on.

The weather was very nice, mid 60's in the day, clear starry skies at night but pretty cold early in the morning. There were no bugs! It was awesome to not have to smell like DEET all weekend.

On our way home, you can see the Fault Line and Red Cone as you descend back towards the 395. A quick look at the map, and the highway intersection is only about 6 miles from Fossil Falls, which is always worth a visit. The road has been redone, and there are improvements to the parking area, but the trail is the same (thankfully).

There are a few more photos here:
    http://nwoods.smugmug.com/gallery/93...24113471_fsZvU
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Very nice nathan.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Nathan,

Looks like a wonderful camping trip. A nice beautiful area thats easy to get to. And it looks like no crowds. That always a good thing. Thanks for sharing.

Mitch

Comment

Looks like great times. May have to take the kids up there before end of summer. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice report Nathan and some awesome pics! Looks like a great family get away for some R & R, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great trail report and pics Nathan. Monache Meadows has been on my list for a few years.
            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Nice trip Nathan, it's a nice area up there, there's a lot of good fire roads to explore. If anyone has dirt bikes this is also one of the nicest OHV area around.
              mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Years ago back in the 80's, the upper part of 9-mile cyn. rd. was still dirt. And you could see the wreckage of a few logging trucks that lost their brakes and ended up down in those deep canyons. Is Grumpy's Bar still there? I don't think that I've ever been there without bugs around.

Steve
                All slow and no show

Comment

Originally posted by alittleoff View Post
                  Is Grumpy's Bar still there? I don't think that I've ever been there without bugs around.
                  Steve
                  Grumpy's is still there. Looked kinda nice too.

TreadLightly Trainer
                  HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

great pics and looked like a nice time. thanks for sharing.

Comment

I've been thinking about going there over Labor Day weekend. My wife and a few friends are taking horses to Morro Bay so I have the weekend free. I wonder of anyone would be interested in going also.
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

I found the location: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisito...o/south/15.php

It's at the upper right hand corner of the map.
                        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                        MJR moderator
                        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Close...I marked up that map a bit. My campsite was just off of the map to the north.

http://www.nextstepdesigns.com/docs/...ws-NFS_Map.pdf

TreadLightly Trainer
                          HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

I miss the old Monanche we used to 4 wheel all the way up to Summit meadows before they closed it for the Golden trout wilderness we would haul hay up to the meadows for the Deer hunt and then go down and bring the mules up from sage flats to bring the deer back down to camp

Comment

Working...
                            X