Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Miller Jeep Trail

What's going on with Miller Jeep Trail? We heard that the AAT Club, Point Magu, cancelled the Recon Run to get the trail open at least to Sunset Camp a while back . . . what is the status at this point? I thought there was a plan to put up a gate at Sunset camp so you could at least run the Lockwood side and the offshoots like YellowJacket, but it doesn't seem like there's been any action at this point. We've got a ton of volunteers eager to pitch in time and sweat to get the trail open . . . so what's the hold up? :dunno:
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

I was discussing this with some other members yesterday. Nobody is really sure what the hold up is on opening Miller. The last I had heard in early spring was to anticipate unlocking the gate in late August early September.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Willard View Post
      I was discussing this with some other members yesterday. Nobody is really sure what the hold up is on opening Miller. The last I had heard in early spring was to anticipate unlocking the gate in late August early September.
      Huh . . . I thought some logging on the upper portion needed to be done or a new gate would need to be installed before they would unlock the gate. Any idea if that has changed?

Comment

I heard that they just got the contract together and the crews will begin removing trees. I guess they will be done by December? Probably at that point it will be closed for the winter if there is snow. I find it hard to believe that a gate would be installed if the closer is temporary. I just hope that how ever long it takes they don't destroy the trail.
        How many little drips are in a quart?

Comment

Jeep Miller

I had talks with Tom Kuekes the Top Dog Ranger of the USFS in the Los Padres National Forest back in May he suggested then we help put up the gate at Sunset Camp to deter travel up Alamo where the logging as going to happen. At least then we could have traveled to Sunset then back down and did some trail work.
          But PT Mugu said it would be a waste of time to put up a gate as they would be finished by September.
          Hah! thats not going to happen now we are looking at December for loggong to finish! then the trail will possible be closed down for the winter. No local wheeling.
          The question is can we all work together to open the trail.
          Does the MJR members think we can possiblity adopt a trail on Lockwood Miller to have access not as a club but a organization of fellow off roaders to help the USFS maintain a trail WITHOUT politics or prejudice? I believe we are here to wheel and keep OUR trails open.
          Do I hear a Amen!
          2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V-8 3.5OME 5100 JK Rubi Rims

"Never argue with a fool they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

Originally posted by new2image View Post
            the question is can we all work together to open the trail.
            Does the mjr members think we can possiblity adopt a trail on lockwood miller to have access not as a club but a organization of fellow off roaders to help the usfs maintain a trail without politics or prejudice? I believe we are here to wheel and keep our trails open.
            Do i hear a amen!

Amen

Based on the turn out we had last year coupled with the support that we saw here on MJR for the Recon Run that was cancelled, it's hard for me to believe that nothing could be done to get the trail open. Even if we had to construct a barrier or gate at Sunset Camp, we'd have access to a few local trails that at this point we probably won't see open until next year. Even if the plan was to have the logging done in Sept, I question the "waste of time" mentality when it comes to getting the trail or part of the trial open earlier. My concern is that the AAT program is in some cases being veiwed as a special right vs. a responsibility. My understanding is that the AAT program is designed to keep trails open for the public to enjoy, not to provide special access to one group. Adopting a trail makes it your responsibility to do everything you can to keep the trail open for the public, this includes rallying additional support outside of your club to pitch in labor, resources, etc as needed . . . and there are plenty of us ready and waiting to pitch in.
            Last edited by Schmo; 08-18-09, 09:02 AM.

Comment

thank you baby jesus
              Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                Amen

Based on the turn out we had last year coupled with the support that we saw here on MJR for the Recon Run that was cancelled, it's hard for me to believe that nothing could be done to get the trail open. Even if we had to construct a barrier or gate at Sunset Camp, we'd have access to a few local trails that at this point we probably won't see open until next year. Even if the plan was to have the logging done in Sept, I question the "waste of time" mentality when it comes to getting the trail or part of the trial open earlier. My concern is that the AAT program is in some cases being veiwed as a special right vs. a responsibility. My understanding is that the AAT program is designed to keep trails open for the public to enjoy, not to provide special access to one group. Adopting a trail makes it your responsibility to do everything you can to keep the trail open for the public, this includes rallying additional support outside of your club to pitch in labor, resources, etc as needed . . . and there are plenty of us ready and waiting to pitch in.
                X2 just what he said!!! I have a tear in my eye!:sad:
                Just tell me I will make that call.

"Never argue with a fool they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

Bump for a Good discussion.
                  What no interest? C'mon Guys

Comment

NEWSFLASH!

Jeep Miller trail closed for 09

We could have prevented this from happening if we could have put up the gate....but its not to late.
                    i could resume talks with the FS and still get the gate up.
                    So if I can do this, who will help out!

Comment

Originally posted by New2image View Post
                      NEWSFLASH!

Jeep Miller trail closed for 09

We could have prevented this from happening if we could have put up the gate....but its not to late.
                      i could resume talks with the FS and still get the gate up.
                      So if I can do this, who will help out!
                      I had a feeling this would happen. I'll pitch in and help out how ever I can. When does the trail usually close down for the winter? Where is Point Magu in all of this?

Comment

Where is Point Magu in all of this?
                        Maybe the trail needs another AAT group. I heard Frasier Park 4x4 waas trying to do something about the trail.
                        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
                          Maybe the trail needs another AAT group. I heard Frasier Park 4x4 waas trying to do something about the trail.
                          MJR AAT??? :dunno:

I've never heard of Frazier Park 4x4 . . . is it a new club or something?

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Joe,
                            I don't speak for all of MJR AAT; but we've got our hands full right now trying to get Holcomb Creek re-opened to the public. I'm not sure who to even speak to about adopting ANOTHER trail. 2n84 hasn't gotten much attention this year either, and it's still closed also.
                            My recommendation would be to find out who did adopt the trail, and see if you can prod them into doing some work on it. If they flat out aren't going to do anything; post up what you find out and maybe something can be done. I myself have never run Miller, maybe a good experience and day of work that can get a trail opened back up.[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                              [COLOR="Sienna"]Joe,
                              I don't speak for all of MJR AAT; but we've got our hands full right now trying to get Holcomb Creek re-opened to the public. I'm not sure who to even speak to about adopting ANOTHER trail. 2n84 hasn't gotten much attention this year either, and it's still closed also.
                              My recommendation would be to find out who did adopt the trail, and see if you can prod them into doing some work on it. If they flat out aren't going to do anything; post up what you find out and maybe something can be done. I myself have never run Miller, maybe a good experience and day of work that can get a trail opened back up.[/COLOR]

I hear you, but it sure seems like there are a bunch of us locals that are ready and waiting to pitch in to get this trail open. Seeing how much MJR has expanded, I thought there might be an option to help out in some other areas as Big Bear isn’t exactly local for many here. We already know who has adopted the trail and several have already attempted to prod them into doing some work to get it open and in fact, there was a recon day scheduled a couple of months back to fix up the trail and install a gate or barrier so at least a major portion of the trail and several off shoots would be open, but the AAT Club decided to cancel the event and we were told that they wanted it to be a “Club ONLY” event. We had a ton of volunteers ready to pitch in and get the trail open, but here we are a couple of months later and the trail still remains closed. Unfortunately, it appears as if many here on MJR (without special AAT access to the trail) are more concerned and more willing to do what is necessary to get it open than the club that has adopted the trail.

Comment

Working...
                              X