Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can see it on yahoo or google maps.

Comment

Labor Day weekend snuck up on me and I didn't get everything planned out well in advance, but I'm taking my wife and kids up to the Santa Rosa Springs camp for the long weekend, or as long as the little ones last. Mostly easy scenic 4wheeling with nice weather (several thousand foot elevations), especially for this desert rat that is tired of the triple digit summer!

Plan to leave El Centro 4-5PM Friday, get to the Santa Rosa Truck Trail about 6 or 7PM and head up to the campgound to sleep. There is fresh spring water and vault toilets at the campground.

We'll be in my big beat up black and gray dodge.

CB Channel 40

Directions to meeting place/trailhead:

From San Diego - Head North on the I-15 and take the CA-79 South
      exit when coming into Temecula. Take CA-79 South (its actually more
      like east) 17.8 miles to the CA-371. Turn left (North) onto CA-371
      and take it for 20.7 miles. to CA-74. Turn right on CA-74. At
      around 5 miles look for Santa Rosa Mountain Road on you right.
      There is a small dirt area to park right off the road.

From Palm Springs - From the intersection of CA-111 and CA-74. Take
      CA-74 19.2 miles look for the sign Santa Rosa Mountain road on your
      left.

Saturday Meeting place: Santa Rosa Springs Campground. Planning on going up the SRTT to the top with my parents, maybe exploring some.

Meeting time 9:00 AM

Departure time 10:00 AM

Hope to run Sawmill, tougher alternate route from 74 to campground, at least the upper portion Sunday and wifey wants to spend Monday in Idyllwild. Here is more info on Sawmill per Roger Mullins:

On Monday a few of us scouted the Sawmill Trail which is west of the community of Anza in Riverside County. There was some confusion about whether the trail was open or closed but it appears that the confusion arises because the area is administered by the BLM, Forest Service and the local Cahuilla Indians.

There is a Sawmill Trail (hiking trail) which is closed to 4 Wheeling. However there is a dirt road that joins Sawmill Road (trail) that is open, according to the Forest Service. There are no signs forbidding motorized travel, in fact, there are signs that say "Street Legal Vehicles Only".
      The Sawmill Trail (road) begins about 3 miles east of the Santa Rosa Truck Trail sign on Hwy. 74 (east of Anza). The road turning off the highway to the south is about 100 ft. west of the fire station. Pidgeon Springs Rd. It is easy to miss. Follow the dirt road as it begins to climb the mountain. As it gets higher, it becomes more challenging with some tight switchbacks and some narrow sections. After climbing 1000 ft or more you reach the Pine forest and the trail becomes more interesting with lots of fallen trees, loose and rocky steep sections and tight turns. After about 6 miles the trail joins the Santa Rosa Truck Trail that leads to Toro Peak.
      For a GPS file See: http://www.justruns.com/files/Sawmill.gdb
      For a .jpg Map See: http://www.justruns.com/files/Maps/SawmillMap.jpg

I recommend doing a search for Santa Rosa on the main messages page to to get all the info on the area.

Also : use Google maps and zoom all the way in, there is "street view" for the area so you can see what the roads you're looking for actually look like. Also has terrain view, etc.

Bring food and water for the duration of your stay and normal JR required equipment for an easy run.

Let me know if I missed anything or you have any questions.

Comment

Working...
      X