Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Sunday - Aug 2 - Anyone?

My vacation got canceled due to the economy. So I am going to be in the area on Sunday, with nothing scheduled. What's happening, and where? I've got a free play day!
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Vacation cancelled? Didn't you just get back from the Rubicon? A couple of us *might* be doing a little run up Santa Rosa. I had been thinking of Saturday and camping, but I'm flexible--I'm on indefinite vacation due to the economy.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

Come out and play Saturday night on Bullfrog, then camp out and leave Sunday morning, I should have my Jeep bolted back together and it promises to be a real fun evening,
      Some campfire fun with Mr Bash after the trail run ought to be a blast

Comment

Nathan, you know I'm gonna be itching to take that new TLC somewhere on Sunday afternoon. I'm thinking a short run up to the Nike missle sites above the SF Valley?

Comment

Booked Saturday night, but Nike missle site sounds great.

TreadLightly Trainer
          HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Originally posted by bruce p View Post
            Nathan, you know I'm gonna be itching to take that new TLC somewhere on Sunday afternoon. I'm thinking a short run up to the Nike missle sites above the SF Valley?
            How do you get up there? I'm right here in the Valley, and I think I know the Nike Base you are referring to, but don't think I've ever been up there. Don't know what I've got going on this weekend, but if you don't mind a tag along, post up where/when you'll be meeting up and I'll join you if I can.
            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Aw the old missles bases....if I could have checked those out 30 years ago.

LA-04 Mt Gleason / Palmdale

LA-09 Mt Disappointment / Barley Flats

LA-88 Chatsworth / Oat Mountain

LA-98 Magic Mountain / Saugus

If you haven't checked this out before, do a Google Search. Very cool stuff long ago. Now dismantled and used for SWAT traiming. Have fun exploring.

Mitch

Comment

Used to pedal my bike over to LA-32 (Garden Grove, Nike Hercules site) when I was a kid.
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY
                You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Not sure how to get there, I'll do a little poking around. Mitch, thanks for the info. I'm thinking of trying the Oat Mountain one. Maybe also go by Beale's Cut if we have time and inclination.

Joe, we can meet up your way say around 2pm? I'll find the closest offramp and we can take it from there- probably Lyons. PM me your cell # and we can chat.

Nathan, you want to meet at my house on your way through a little earler?

Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by bruce p View Post
                    Not sure how to get there, I'll do a little poking around. Mitch, thanks for the info. I'm thinking of trying the Oat Mountain one. Maybe also go by Beale's Cut if we have time and inclination.

Joe, we can meet up your way say around 2pm? I'll find the closest offramp and we can take it from there- probably Lyons. PM me your cell # and we can chat.

Nathan, you want to meet at my house on your way through a little earler?

Anyone else?
                    ME. I wanna go!
                    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Bruce...got your PM. Tomb Raider and I went up to the top of DeSoto a few months back and I'd been up there a while back and everything we saw was closed or private property. It didn't seem like there were any trails back there that were open to the public. I did notice that the gate under the freeway overpass there at DeSoto and the 118 was open a couple of weeks back, but I don't think that's what you're referring to.

Comment

yes Bruce, I am in. I am going to the Navy Destroyer tour at Seal Beach in the morning, then I'll head to you're house around 1pm.

TreadLightly Trainer
                        HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

OK, thanks Schmo. I think we will just try a little Angeles NF exploring tomorrow then. Any one wants to join us, we'll meet at my house at 1pm.
                          5524 Goss Canyon
                          La Crescenta 91214

Comment

See you in a bit.

Comment

Working...
                            X