Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Holcomb Creek

Holcomb Creek – July 26, 2009.

One of the biggest threats to Southern California are the wild fires. When that happens in our public lands, the US National Forest authorities automatically closed the area to general public to allow nature to recover itself from the damage. That required at least a couple of years. Then, the experts get in and study the area for potential risk before opening the trails again.

Being part of the Adopt-a-trail program, our club has constant communications with the rangers, and we were invited to do run for a “closed” trail, Holcomb Creek, doing our regular voluntary work plus looking for widow makers.

The widow makers are dead trees (huge pines trees) that are closed to the trail, sometimes hanging there from other stronger trees. The re-opening for the beautiful trail, rated as black diamond, is expected in summer 2010. During this summer, those dead trees must be removed from the burned area. But is not as simple as just cut them and leave it there, I need to research further on that to obtain an explanation, anyways, they have two options here, based on how many trees are we talking about.

They are doing a census and making a plan. The worst scenario is taking a bulldozer that will convert the trail into a fire road, to allow the log trucks to pick them up. The desire situation, the one that we want to happens, is to remove the logs using a helicopter, so the trail will keep as it is, as a great black diamond trail.

Less than twenty rigs showed up, two Land Cruisers, one Nissan mini truck and all others, well, Jeeps of course. If I rated the trail by how many times my rear bumper hits a rock, this one will be very close to Rubicon.

We had a water crossing that covers almost half of my tires, that is unusual in Southern California trails. I felt home doing that! The rock gardens is something hard to describe, if you are leading a group, you better know what are you doing and where you going, cause everyone else will follow you, well, the big boys draw their own unimaginable lines.

We had a blast working as a voluntary crew, with so many people involved it was really easy, considering that the trail was closed; well trash was not an issue at all. Few beer cans and removing some balloons trapped at the trees was the biggest concern.

Roberto L. Miranda
    Last edited by Roberto Miranda; 07-27-09, 10:08 AM.

The MJR AAT members have done a lot of hard work on the trail to make it safe and yet a lot of fun, would be a crying shame if the ran a bulldozer through it to haul the trees out.
    Another option would be to section the trees in to smaller pieces that we can haul out a lot more work but volunteers could do most of that work. Chain saw certified members could section the downed trees to a workable size.
    Like I said a lot more work but can mostly be done by volunteers

Comment

I totally agree with you, let’s keep in touch with our designated ranger and offer all the help that we can provide to maintain the trail as it is now. Perfect!!!

Comment

Thanks for the efforts guys and for keeping us up to date. I sure hope the bull dozer option is not the one utilized. I would think the FS would not want to do that either.
        Rich

Comment

and some pics...

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan..._photos_button

Comment

nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I love how green it is getting in there. Just a little more brush on the sides of the trail and a little less dead trees near the trail and maybe they will open it up.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

It's still a shame how badly it got burned, the whole area was absolutely gorgeous before it burned. Was up there 3 years ago before it burned and the the difference is heart breaking

Comment

Great work guys!

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    It's still a shame how badly it got burned, the whole area was absolutely gorgeous before it burned. Was up there 3 years ago before it burned and the the difference is heart breaking
                    I have to agree, Holcomb was my favorite trail up there. Used to run it5 or 6 times a year, was an absolutely Beautiful place. I also will say having worked on it since last year that I am appalled by the damage done by that fire. I am hoping to see more and more green and watch it regrow, somehow working on it makes it better.
                    censored for having an opinion

Comment

the explanation that I was looking for:

"If they just cut them down and left them it becomes a fire hazard as they would be adding more fuel to a fire if there is another fire in the future there. "

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto Miranda View Post
                        the explanation that I was looking for:

"If they just cut them down and left them it becomes a fire hazard as they would be adding more fuel to a fire if there is another fire in the future there. "

Roberto,
                        I'm one of the AAT members that takes care of 3N93. We are well aware of the trees that need to be removed from the area; we are waiting to hear the final verdict from the forest supervisor as to how that is going to be accomplished. We were hoping to fell the trees ourselves and use some of them to help block illegal trails and whatnot. I was told that will not be happening. More than likely large amounts of money will be spent to remove the trees. The only way to do it and not significantly affect the area is by helicopter. There are a few of us that have certification to buck and limb and I'm hoping we will be asked to assist, but if a commercial enterprise comes in to remove the trees, we will not be allowed in there until they are done.
                        It is a daunting prospect that we may be unable to go in there and stay ahead of the curve as far as wear and tear on the trail; if it takes another year or more to log the area, we may very well find ourselves back at square one as far as the trail is concerned.

Thanks for the report and pics. Some of us will be up there Sunday working on the trail. Glad you enjoyed our "Little Rubicon"...
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

"Felling trees"?

Sneak into a Class A or B class while i wasn't looking Kurt?
                          Jeff
                          OHV76V
                          KG6TY
                          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                            "Felling trees"?

What he ment to say was...I like to fondle trees...

What Sunday are you going up? Can I help?
                            The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                              "Felling trees"?

Jeff,
                              I had a discussion with Greg a while back about the tree situation and he mentioned it might be workable to get some of the A and B guys in there to fell trees, and I offered assistance bucking a limbing. But it was only a discussion and never went anywhere. But be careful, I just might sneak in to a B class. If I ever get time away from work again...
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X