Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Heartbreak Ridge Exploring Day #2

After missing some of the things that I wanted to find yesterday, I headed back to Big Bear today with some better instructions.

I met Curtis at Cactus flats and we headed towards the Rose Mine first. We found mine tunnel that I had looked for before, but with Mike K help it was right there.

**I feel that this should be added here. Exploring old mines is dangerous. Some of these mines are 100+ years old. Wood timbers will weaken and rocks will fall. Extreme caution should be used anytime someone enters a mine. The phrase that sums it up: STAY OUT / STAY ALIVE! Explore at your own risk.

Rose Mine

Next we went to the Heartbreak Ridge area via 2N01 to
    2N89A to 2N61Y. Again after better directions we went right to the special spot.

Next we headed to the absolute coolest mine that I've ever been in! This will be included in 8-08-09 Mike K
    trip. Curtis and I walked for at least 15 minutes and never found the end. There are a dozen side tunnels that we saw, plus digging that went up to other levels. Mike posted about the inside temp, I think that the icy cold breeze might even be in 50's. This is the Holy Grail of mining finds. Mike can share details during his upcoming trip.

Curtis,

Thank you for an outstanding day! We need to do this again soon.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 07-28-09, 06:18 AM.

Looks fun! I will have to go there. What was the trail rated?

Comment

Mitch thanks for a awesome day!! I can't wait to go back with some climbing rope and high power lights. Like Mitch said,Mike's trail run is a must do. Ron I would say the trail is 98% easy with a little moderate.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Very cool Mitch....Need to explore that one!
        :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Mitch, did you find the second arrastre?? I didn't see a picture of it.

So did Curtis climb the ladder up into the second story.
          mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Is The shaft in the first picture actually the main tunnel for the rose mine? I found that one a year ago and have yet to find any that are deeper than that.

Comment

Mitch, great pics and report!

Comment

I'm going to have to visit some of these mines!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to go on Mike's run due to a prior commitment that I can't change.

After reading your report, I went out to the garage and dug out my old hard hat and tossed it into my off road kit. I don't use it for anything else anymore and it's perfect for going into mines and saving my skull from unnecessary carnage. I think of it as a "rock slider for my head." It seems that if there is a rock hanging down in a tunnel, my dome will find it. I try not to move through a mine or cave like a bull in a china closet and it's generally a pretty light tap, but just enough to leave a mark. :omg:

Exploring rocks! (No english teachers were harmed in the creation of this double entendre.)

Christian
                "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Chris,

The first picture is from the Rose Mine Area. There was like 11 tunnels at one point in the late 1890's through it's hayday till around 1910. It is said that a couple were 1000' in length. This is the longest adit (tunnel) that I've found there currently. It is at least 300 feet long has several curves in the tunnel towards the back. Very cool! Mike K steered me to this exact location.

Mitch

Comment

Mike,

I saw the trail to the second arrastra, but after seeing the tunnel at the Rose Mine I was seriously focused to get to the "Big One"! I will be back there in a few days to wander and explore around the second arrastra area, maybe I can find the mine that supported it. I know Curtis is determined to explore the entire "Big One", so I'll be back there right away also, maybe before the saturday night run? But I'm not Obsessed with finding everything..........well maybe a little! Haaaa...

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                      Mike,

But I'm not Obsessed with finding everything..........well maybe a little! Haaaa...

Mitch
                      [COLOR="Blue"]You're worse than I am....well maybe equal.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                        Mike,

I saw the trail to the second arrastra, but after seeing the tunnel at the Rose Mine I was seriously focused to get to the "Big One"! I will be back there in a few days to wander and explore around the second arrastra area, maybe I can find the mine that supported it. I know Curtis is determined to explore the entire "Big One", so I'll be back there right away also, maybe before the saturday night run? But I'm not Obsessed with finding everything..........well maybe a little! Haaaa...

Mitch
                        You ARE obsessed.............Get over it! Thanks for the info, I too shall be there soon.

BTW All........Mitch will be attending/leading a run of a certain historical society in August. Way to go Mitch!
                        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Working...
                        X