Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Rubicon 2009

I wanted to start the thread to get people talking. This was my first time on the Rubicon and made it out with only a bent tie rod (put a hi lift handle on it) and some scratched rear fender flares, I also got a little too much flex and popped a coil spring off of its perch, but we got it back on pretty quickly. I had an absolute blast. On our way home, our trailer blew a tire near Lodi, changing a tire when its 110 is no fun. I'll be posting pics soon.

Can't wait to see the pics!!! and read the stories

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

It was a fantastic trip. i didn't take any pics. Busted a front u joint. Had it fixed in about 15 minutes. Next year will be a dusy run instead of the Rubicon.
      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

My first trip on the Rubicon. I was very happy with how my rig performed, but I spent a lot of time and money getting there, so I was really, really glad that it all worked out okay. Big thanks to Al for putting this together. I know I pestered him with lots of questions beforehand, and he patiently answered all of them.

Trip was initially a scary-large group, but as always, a large number dropped out, and those that still came, naturally grouped themselves into smaller parties. We only had 4 trucks running with Al, including Al! Thursday night we met a few others from MJR, including 100dollarman (Hey Hundy!), but they took a more leisurely pace, and we never saw them again after our 8:00am trail departure on Friday morning. There were 4 or 5 other MJR Jeeps that started a bit earlier on Friday morning, and we met some of them later that night at Rubicon Springs. So the group size really worked out perfect.

I borrowed my wife's camera (Canon G10) instead of my normal, bulky SLR (Canon 20D), with what I thought was a freshly charged battery, but sadly, it pooped out right near the beginning of the trail, so I used it very sparingly. I apologize for not getting more representative photos of the trail, or the people. I have virtually NO people shots, and that's a bummer.

I really enjoyed meeting the other MJR'ers, like Nailer, Gerald, Tami & Chris (what a crack-up he is!), John, Russ, Nick, Shawn, etc... We had a great time on Saturday just kicking back and swimming in the Springs.

My trail mates where Matt (and future father-in-law Roger) and Seapawn and his lovely fiancée Jacqueline (sp?), and of course, Al. We made a good team and went through the trail without any issues other than a slightly bent tie-rod, quickly repaired with Al's help and a Hi-Lift handle, and a broken U-joint, also quickly repaired by Al on his own Samicon.

Weather was awesome on the trail, and heavenly around Lake Tahoe, but damm hot down in the valley all the way home.

I thought the trail itself was easier than anticipated. I have been mentally preparing for this trip for years and years, and honestly, it was a bit of a let-down. It was very pretty, but at no point did I wonder if me or my rig could make it, and there was virtually no work necessary to get through. Coming from a Land Rover perspective, I am not accustomed to the amazing capability of this Jeep, so getting through without working very hard is a new experience for me!

I enjoyed the beauty of the granite slabs, I was amazed at Big Sluice and its rocky ledges, and heartily impressed by the guys that drag trailers up and down Cadillac Hill. That’s an impressive feat, and some of those guys do it with open diff’s!

Thanks MJR for a great trip.

Photos to follow
        Last edited by nwoods; 07-21-09, 12:59 PM.
        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

it was a bit of a let-down
          You have to remember that your vehicle is very well prepared for this trail. Fully locked with 35's is a big difference over a stock rubicon or stock Wrangler. This trail can jump up and bite you at any moment. Granted I went through on 31's but my vehicle weighs half of your Jeep.

Comment

I was in the "advance party"; we left Georgetown on Wednesday, two days ahead of Al's group. Our group consisted of five Jeeps, seven people (Dukes69, JeepGal, Nailer341, Provelogear, NikVallens, CoHuhol and myself) and four dogs. I haven't had time to upload all the photos I took, but here are a few highlights:

Gerald on Little Sluice doing an impression of Dirtman13, while Erik is on the way to help:

Fine dining on the shore of Buck Island Lake:

The Rubicon River:

Erik (Nailer341):

Nik (NikVallens):

Chris (Dukes69) and Tam (JeepGal) along with Zoey and Rubi:

John (CoHuhol):

Gerald (Provelogear) just before he ran off the road (note the position of his front tire):

Rubicon Springs (Erik, Gerald, Chris and Nik):

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
            KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
              My first trip on the Rubicon. I was very happy with how my rig performed, but I spent a lot of time and money getting there, so I was really, really glad that it all worked out okay. Big thanks to Al for putting this together. I know I pestered him with lots of questions beforehand, and he patiently answered all of them.

Trip was initially a scary-large group, but as always, a large number dropped out, and those that still came, naturally grouped themselves into smaller parties. We only had 4 trucks running with Al, including Al! Thursday night we met a few others from MJR, including 100dollarman (Hey Hundy!), but they took a more leisurely pace, and we never saw them again after our 8:00am trail departure on Friday morning. There were 4 or 5 other MJR Jeeps that started a bit earlier on Friday morning, and we met some of them later that night at Rubicon Springs. So the group size really worked out perfect.

I borrowed my wife's camera (Canon G10) instead of my normal, bulky SLR (Canon 20D), with what I thought was a freshly charged battery, but sadly, it pooped out right near the beginning of the trail, so I used it very sparingly. I apologize for not getting more representative photos of the trail, or the people. I have virtually NO people shots, and that's a bummer.

I really enjoyed meeting the other MJR'ers, like Nailer, Gerald, Tami & Chris (what a crack-up he is!), John, Nick, Shawn, etc... We had a great time on Saturday just kicking back and swimming in the Springs.

My trail mates where Matt (and future father-in-law Roger) and Seapawn and his lovely fiancée Jacqueline (sp?), and of course, Al. We made a good team and went through the trail without any issues other than a slightly bent tie-rod, quickly repaired with Al's help and a Hi-Lift handle, and a broken U-joint, also quickly repaired by Al on his own Samicon.

Weather was awesome on the trail, and heavenly around Lake Tahoe, but damm hot down in the valley all the way home.

I thought the trail itself was easier than anticipated. I have been mentally preparing for this trip for years and years, and honestly, it was a bit of a let-down. It was very pretty, but at no point did I wonder if me or my rig could make it, and there was virtually no work necessary to get through. Coming from a Land Rover perspective, I am not accustomed to the amazing capability of this Jeep, so getting through without working very hard is a new experience for me!

I enjoyed the beauty of the granite slabs, I was amazed at Big Sluice and its rocky ledges, and heartily impressed by the guys that drag trailers up and down Cadillac Hill. That’s an impressive feat, and some of those guys do it with open diff’s!

Thanks MJR for a great trip.

Photos to follow
              Great report! Gladto hear it! I'm mentally preparing for a Rubicon run in the future as well...but first I need better gears and lockers.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
                Great report! Gladto hear it! I'm mentally preparing for a Rubicon run in the future as well...but first I need better gears and lockers.
                I think Calico is quite a bit more challenging than the Rubicon, but I certainly feel that 33" tires and lockers front and rear (and diff guards) are essential for making the Rubicon easily navigable.

TreadLightly Trainer
                HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Nice photos Russ. We heard that you had 3 guys in the raft, but seeing is believing!

Here are my images (40 in total):
                  http://nwoods.smugmug.com/gallery/89...97825014_G9uM3

A few fav's:

Camping at Loon Lake Dam

The Slabs:

Tie Rod repair

Little Sluice box

Near the Off Camber Slabs

Big Sluice Box:

The boys:

The 3 amigos at Observation Point (Seaphan slept in)
                  Last edited by nwoods; 07-21-09, 01:48 PM.

TreadLightly Trainer
                  HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                    I think Calico is quite a bit more challenging than the Rubicon, but I certainly feel that 33" tires and lockers front and rear (and diff guards) are essential for making the Rubicon easily navigable.
                    I have seen stock Jeeps go through Calico (except the gate keeper). I don't think it is even close to the Rubicon's difficulty.

Comment

Awesome pics and reports - keep em comin' - Cool beans for Seaphan!! WOo!
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Outstanding!

Glad everyone had a great time.

I've been wanting to run the Rubicon since I was a teenager and unfortunately the stars (or maybe it was my wheels) have never aligned properly to allow this to happen.

Sometime in the next 2 years, I have to do this.

Two other trails that I want to run almost as badly are the Dusy Ershim and Fordyce Trails. I've seen pictures of both and they are at the top of my list just under the Rubicon.

Of course, my Jeep needs to grow up to even consider putting an actual date on the calendar! I have a lot of work to do on the Limo! :wrench:

Thanks for sharing this report. I find it motivational!

Christian
                        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Great pics looks like a wonderfull trip.
                          If I ever get to run this trail it will have to be somewhere in late September, might give it a whirl next year

Comment

Just as beautiful as I remember it. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Here's a few of my favorite pics from the weekend.

[IMG]http://www.facebook.com/home.php?fil...&id=1837601930[/IMG]

[IMG] http://www.facebook.com/home.php?fil...&id=1837601930 [/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X