Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Exploring in the desert heat!

After a request for a local run, I met up with Jeese (Kodiak Spirit), Scott (Dezertdog) and his wife Norma, their son and his friend, Scott and Lesa (AVjeepfreek) and her daughter Lindsey. We met at 8:00am in Lucerne and headed north on Hwy 247 to the mines. We finished the day shooting at a private property spot that we have written permission for. Everyone shot for a couple of hours and when we aired up it was 5:00pm.

What a great group of explorers! Everyone checked out the mines, everyone shot, and everyone agreed that it was much better than sitting at home. We even found a nice cool pool and some homemade pizza to top it off!

Thanks everyone.

Mitch

Double AA Mine #1

Double AA Mine #2

Going to the Overlook

One Ton Mine

Cool little No Name Mine (45 degree incline)

Gold Belt Mine

Climbing up "The Wall" I entertained everyone with a "walker" that I found next to the trail

Last edited by Mitch; 07-19-09, 12:17 AM.

Looks like you guys had a good time!

Comment

Looking towards my place from where you guys were at, did you see the thunder storm dumping over my house? I rained for a good hour and the lightening started a few spot fires on the north slope. The rain was great!

No rain out where you were at?
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger,

We could see the Rain dumping over at your house but never got a drop. I kept saying that all we needed was a half inch of rain! The clouds gave us a little refeif but that was about it.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch,
          Thanks for another great time on the trail.
          The mines were a lot of fun. I had not been to any of those we visited.
          The family and I totally enjoyed ourselves, on the trail and afterwards.
          Thanks to all for the company and for coming by the house afterwards. (which is finally somewhat presentable)
          We hope you all enjoyed yourselves as much as we did.

Scott

Comment

Hey everyone! Lesa, Lindsey and I had a great time! Thanks for a great ride, shooting and the Pool and Pizza afterwards, It was awesome!!

Scott & Lesa
            "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Thanks Mitch for putting on another great run! it's nice to go on a run that really makes you feel like you covered some ground and got to see some cool stuff! the great views and the great people, man this is jeepun'

Thanx to Desert Dog & family for a great dinner and cool water, you people know how to LIVE!
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Jesse,

It was great to see you out on the trails. We really covered some ground, above and below. Good friends.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch, regarding the Gold Belt.
                  If you hike halfway up towards the ridge to the east, then parallel along that ridge for about 300-400 yards (southerly), you'll find a vertical shaft opening with a wooden ladder that goes waaay down into the ground.(Don't trust the ladder)
                  Maybe you've already found this opening; if so, disregard.

Comment

Jim,

I stayed outside of the mine while everyone else went in. 300 or 400 feet in the lower tunnel the shaft that connected up to the middle level is collaped and has caved into the main tunnel. A couple of the group went around the timbers and metal cables and earth and continued another 100 feet to the end. Damp slimy walls, soft timbers and a wet floor told everyone to get the heck out. I have hiked up to the 2nd level but the adit is tiny and collaped. I 've heard that this level was 1000' in length. Huge amount of tailings. Friends Dave and Scott's wife Lesa hiked to the top (3rd) level where the rock cabin is. This was a big operation once upon a time.

Comment

Working...
                    X