Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

July 18th Sawmill/Santa Rosa Mt. (Inland Empire)

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: July 18th Sawmill/Santa Rosa Mt. (Inland Empire)

Hiya everyone!!!
    A few buddies of mine are going up Sawmill Trail which is the front side of Santa Rosa Mt. this Saturday (18th). We'd love to go to the Cleighorn run but this is really local and in this economy, we don't have a lot of gas...next time, though!

If anyone wants to join us we are meeting up a the Cahuilla Market on Hwy 371 in Anza, CA.
    Here's a link to the meeting point. So if there's anyone in the Hemet/San Jacinto/Temecula area...c'mon!!
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.545...1725&z=19&pw=2
    Richard
    (951) 282-5661

I've been planning to take a run up there real soon, so I'd love to go. Whether I make it will depend on whether or not I have my parking brake fixed, which will involve some fab work to strengthen or replace the y-bracket.

You rated this trail as easy, but there are sections where a stock vehicle can struggle or need assistance. For instance, that last hill climb has gotten real soft. With a little speed I blazed right up it open-open, but my bro in his JK Rubi Unlimited hit it too slow; it took some work to get it up even fully locked. A stock FJ also hit it too slow with its balloon street tires and simply could not make it up unassisted. In fact, without some winching it would have slid right off the trail and down the mountain. Although it's not very technical, it's steep and sometimes off-camber, and the consequences for screwing up could be severe.

Anyway it's a beautiful trail, and I think would be a lot of fun in a stock SWB Jeep--with decent tires, and a driver with some skill.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

Oh, I hope you get your rig fixed in time because we'd love to have you! I've never run the trail before and I guess just assumed that any trail around here would be "easy". Thanks for your input! :O)
      Please call me if you want to make this run...or just show up at the Cahuillia Market on Hwy 371 at 10 am!! We live in the area so if you'd ever like to make a run out here we'd like to go!! :O)
      (951) 282-5661
      Last edited by So_Cal_Rubi; 07-17-09, 07:20 PM.

Comment

I'll see what I can do; today I was working on my little Saab. If you're after something easy, just take the dirt road just to the west of the mailboxes on the opposite side. It's a long, scenic drive around and up the mountain--you don't need 4wd unless it's snowy or wet.

Sawmill Springs Trail is down the hill from that to the east. (I think that's what it's called) is just past the dump. In fact, there's a handy parking lot right next to the dump where you can park and air down. I would suggest airing down to 12-15 psi. It's pretty much just a rocky, switchback road until you get past the big charcoal kiln/ chimney thingy. Fallen trees and erosion can make that stuff a little more interesting. (I had to drag a couple of trees and even push a boulder out of the road last summer). From there on, you'll be wheeling. There's a spring just uphill from the charcoal kiln. If you go straight up, you may have breakover clearance issues with a large rock that's embedded in the trail; you can bog through the mud to the right if you can't make it going straight.

Of course, you can do both the foregoing routes as a big loop. If I can't make it tomorrow, we'll have to run it real soon. I'd also like to do some exploring on the western part of Thomas Mtn; most of it is fire roads, but there is some fun stuff too. I know one hill that will make you pucker.

David
        holes = cowbell

Comment

What happened with this run?

Comment

I talked to So_Cal_Rubi the morning of the 18th and told him I couldn't make it on account of my parking brake. It sounded like they were on their way. Last I heard of it.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
            X