Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: 4th of July Exploring!

I met Scott (avjeepfreek) this morning for a little exploring trip. We met in Apple Valley and cruised north of Lucerne on Hwy247 to check out a couple of new spots.

Mitch

We checked out an old trail to a prospect spot near the One Ton Mine area that I saw the other day.

Somebody shot my paw!

Next we followed another old trail to an old mine that Dave showed me awhile back.

Next we checked out the Sawtooth Canyon Area. Nobody camping in the entire area. We saw one vehicle that watched us posing on a rock pile that was it for the 6 hour trip.

Hitch Hiker on the way to the Anita Mine

We headed to the Anita Mine and then south on a BLM Open Trail to Joker Springs.

After visiting Joker Springs and the corral area, we saw 4 of the free range cattle on the way to Quill Springs.

Next we followed some trails west to Quill Springs and checked it before heading back.

Next trip I'll do the Squeeze!

Last edited by Mitch; 07-04-09, 06:53 PM.

Can you believe that Mitch went out wheeling and mine exploring? Looks like you guys had a nice day.
    Rich

Comment

great stuff................uh...............THE LOOP!!!!!!!!
      :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Before we ALL DIE...... THE LOOP!!!!!!!
        :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

A few Video's

Good Bye Scott!

Sawtooth Canyon

Last edited by Mitch; 07-04-09, 08:54 PM.

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Mitch, Looks like another great explore of the Mojave mines.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

There are still several mines between the Anita Mine and Joker Springs to check out just in that small area! I've been going to the Ord's for 2 years and find more to explore after every trip. Next?

Mitch

Comment

Looks like you two had a great time.

Comment

Looks like fun. Did you guys go up the hill in the back of Sawtooth Canyon?
                  Check out .

Comment

Chuck,

We went up to the end of the canyon, but I'm saving that hill adventure for you! I did give a salute to your favorite little v-notch. Still amazed that on the 4th of July we didn't see anyone camping.

Mitch

Comment

was the water on at Joker ?
                      drinking fountain still work ?
                      nice pictures and that's a great area.
                      try walking up the squeeze about 1/2 mile and look around at the rocks.
                      Jim

Comment

Jim,

At the corral at Joker Springs the water was running and the drinking fountain was working. We walked up towards the the actual spring and at least 100 chucker went flying in all directions. I did not see standing water there but it was very green. The topo shows a small mine tunnel up the trail somewhere close but we didn't find it.

The little "squeeze" spot is right before Quill springs and is very short, but looks cool. Is that the one you were thinking it was?

Comment

yep
                          writing on the walls

Comment

Jim,

Thanks, I'll check that out this weekend. I want to check out the canyon just west of the one that Anita Mine is above. There is a faint mule trail going up to a shaft and tunnel on the ridge and a couple more near the end of the canyon (south end).
                            Dozens of trips here and I'm still finding more to see and explore.

Mitch

Comment

I've also heard old, local rumors about an old Pony Express/stage station in that general area as well.
                              Never found evidence/anything myself.....it's a big desert.

Comment

Working...
                              X