Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Santiago Peak / OC, Ca.

Went out yesterday for a solo run with my daughter. This was my first time going from Silverado Canyon to Santiago Peak. Fun little fire road to the top.

Here are some pix. I dont have any real wheeling pics. But we did take some cool photos above the clouds.

Kurt T.
    94 ZJ, 4X4, 5.2, 31's, open diff's.

Your trip to Santiago Peak sure brings back memories! I used to run up there in my brand new 1974 Bronco! This was when I lived in the old village in Trabuco Canyon.

Is the trail still open all the way to the radio towers?

From the top we would continue down the other side to Hwy 74. Can that still be done?

I would like to make that run sometime. I always loved it. One time I saw a bobcat running across the trail.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
      Your trip to Santiago Peak sure brings back memories! I used to run up there in my brand new 1974 Bronco! This was when I lived in the old village in Trabuco Canyon.

From the top we would continue down the other side to Hwy 74. Can that still be done?

I would like to make that run sometime. I always loved it. One time I saw a bobcat running across the trail.
      Yup you can still get to the tower farm on Santiago Peak. There's a couple of ways to get down on the Riverside side of the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post

Roger, you ever come down our way to run Santiago you better let me know. I used to go up there quite a bite on my Dual Sport. Indian Truck Trail is a pretty popular way of coming down the back side. I think it have something to do with Glen Ivy nudist camp.

SmkSignals, Did you guys go all the way over the mountain? I'm curious what gates are open.
        Check out .

Comment

Kurt,

Nice write up. It's cool to be on top of a peak, just above the cloud layer like that. Thanks for sharing.

Mitch

Comment

Cool pictures man. Too bad you're a Ducks fan.
            95 YJ
            2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by roger View Post
              i would like to make that run sometime.
              we need to set up a run. I live 10 mins from the north main divide road entrance off of hwy 74. I ran into a couple of guys in land cruisers the other night at the in-n-out in corona and they said you can actually start in san diego county and run it all the way to corona. Ive been up there several times late at night to recover vehicles that have gone over the side.

SORRY ABOUT THE THREAD HIJACK SMKSIGNALS. NICE PICS. ITS FUN BEING ABOVE THE CLOUDS.
              Last edited by ECHO; 06-22-09, 11:06 AM. Reason: I HIJACKED THE THREAD ...APOLOGIES

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                Roger, you ever come down our way to run Santiago you better let me know. I used to go up there quite a bite on my Dual Sport. Indian Truck Trail is a pretty popular way of coming down the back side. I think it have something to do with Glen Ivy nudist camp.

SmkSignals, Did you guys go all the way over the mountain? I'm curious what gates are open.
                I will let you know!
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Thanks for the comments !!

We took Silverado Canyon Rd (5S04) to the Main Divide Rd (3S04), and continued on to the radio towers. I originally was gonna continue on to the Ortega Hwy (74) but it was getting later in the day, so we went back the way we came.

I called the Trabuco Ranger District earlier in the week (951-736-1811) to find out what gates were open. The ranger said everything was open on the Main Divide Rd in between the Ortega Hwy and Corona, except for Harding Rd (5S08) and Indian Rd (5S01).

I agree, it was very cool being right above the cloud level. All in all, the girl and I had a great day tooling around the Santa Ana Mountains !! Hope to see ya out there soon.

- Kurt

P.S. - I love my Anaheim Ducks !!!!:haha::haha::haha:
                  Last edited by SmkSignals; 06-22-09, 04:50 PM. Reason: p.s. added ...
                  Kurt T.
                  94 ZJ, 4X4, 5.2, 31's, open diff's.

Comment

If you guys do a run here post it up. I would love to go. I’ve been meaning to head out there. I’m in Oceanside so I'm not too far from this.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I love doing these trails at night since they're close to me. They're great when you need a dirt fix and haven't been able to get out much. Skyline out of Corona side all the way through to the 74 is fun.
                      WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

Anybody interested in running from silverado cyn to corona or maybe even to the ortega hwy after the jk summerfest at irvine lake this saturday? It would be a fun night run

Comment

Working...
                        X