Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Another Rattlesnake run

I went out today with my friend Justin and his son Wyatt so that they could check out Rattlesnake Canyon. It was a perfect day and as the temp was raising we were climbing. So it never really got too hot. The first entertainment was the "free range cattle". There was over a dozen cattle at several locations right on the trail or right next to it.

Next we stopped to check out an old mine right off of the trail

Then after reminding myself that great88 is now a daily driver and I still don't have a job I head right into the play area!

Being a sucker for the camera..... I feel the need to show off at another rock garden section.

Everything was going fine till the rocks got bigger and then I was stuck hard! Couldn't back up, couldn't go forward, both diffs stuck on big rocks......

Well we dug rocks, straped rocks, straped great88, and when I was clear 40 minutes later we pryed off the collasped steering stabilizer so I could steer again. A rear spring is bent, no stabilizer.....Oh did I say that I can't afford to tear up my Jeep?

Well that cooled my jets a little, so we finished Rattlesnake while talking about Burritos and Marguaritas in Big Bear.

We saw some cool flowers and cactus blooming today

I had not noticed this casulty off of 2N02 near Heartbreak Ridge Trail before

Water crossing heading towards Baldwin Lake

Last edited by Mitch; 06-20-09, 08:31 PM.

Great report and pics, mitch! Sorry to hear about the broken stuff on the jeep. I didnt get your message till 1230 this morning or i would have gone with you guys. It looked like another awesome day out there on the trail.

Comment

Nice pics..sorry about your carnage. I've got a Pro-Crap Stabilizer complete with faded red boot yer welcome to.
      holes = cowbell

Comment

David,

I drove about 20 miles of dirt trail, then 50 miles of pavement including the downhill to Lucerne and I couldn't tell that it was missing. So I'll run around without the stabilizer for a little while and see it is safe and OK. Sure looks cleaner without it. Thanks for the offer. I love faded red.

Mitch

**And a teaser for Kevin (1BADFNZ), We came around a corner 2/3 of the way up Rattlesnake and came upon 40-50 small chicken sized CHUCKERS! They were drinking out of the spring and took their time walking away and up the side of a hill. Got you a little excited, huh.
        Last edited by Mitch; 06-20-09, 11:32 PM.

Comment

So when is the next run mitch? Oh, and did you get your margaritas?

Comment

I don't remember some of those pictures/areas? Like the one of the water crossing.

Comment

Jack: I'll go back out there any time! Always lots of fun. Small group is best for exploring. And yes the Margaritas were located.

Ron: The water crossing is on 2N02 heading to Baldwin Lake (Big Bear). When we did this run we took 3N03 to Cactus Flats to get to Hwy 18 a little quicker.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post

Now he is out of the Jeep stacking rocks.
                A monster has been created. :devil:
                Nice report Mitch.
                Check out .

Comment

If Mitch wanted to built a rockgarden, I know of a place where his muscle would have been of use lol.
                  I guess next is to teach Mitch not to break stuff when he goes hog wild on rocks.
                  Good to see you living the good life though Mitch, you'll miss it when you have to work for a living again

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                    Now he is out of the Jeep stacking rocks.
                    A monster has been created. :devil:
                    Nice report Mitch.
                    [COLOR="Blue"]Mitch will show up with 35's and a front locker pretty soon....I'm sure of it. lol[/COLOR]

Comment

Chuck,

The real reason I was sweating and tossing around rocks was that I was trying to get un-stuck before the 12 Jeeps with "Drifters 4x4" club caught up to us. They came by just after I got on smooth ground and we were prying off the stabilizer. We all had a good laugh cause 3 of their rigs got stuck and winched and had some good rock rash to share as they went by. The spot I was stuck in had some deep loose sand and I kept digging deeper and removing the rock around each time I tried to go. The first Rock Garden diffinately looks harder. All in a day's fun.

No other damage was apparent while on the lift today, just scrapes, gouges, and some bent springs. So good to go at it again.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch,
                        In answer to your comment, that old Pontiac has been there for decades. I know it was there in 1982 when I moved to Lucerne Valley. Here's a write-up about it I found:

From Dirtopia, The Off-Road Encyclopedia

Typical terrain on the Heartbreak Ridge trail. Heartbreak Ridge is a moderately tough trail in the Big Bear area. This trail is sometimes known as Pontiac Sluice. This trail consists of a spur with a loop, off of forest road 2N61Y. Get there via 2N02 (Rattlesnake Canyon Trail). The old Pontiac rusting away near the beginning gives the trail its alternate name. The "Sluice" portion is actually a short distance up the trail, not really near the Pontiac. The Sluice is an optional route through the rocky bottom of the canyon, while an easier bypass runs parallel (this part is only a few hundred feet long). The trail is rocky in places but can be traversed by stock 4X4s with open differentials and a skilled driver. The highlight of this trail is the monument at the top of the ridge to commemorate a fellow 4X4 enthusiast who lost his life in Iraq.
                        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                        MJR moderator
                        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger that is not the Pontiac at the sluice, that thing is in way worse shape and sits of to the side of the trail surounded by bushes

Comment

As always Mitch, great report!
                            Take care of that daily driver.
                            You sure are livin the good life right now.
                            Your gonna hate it when you go back to work.

Wish I coulda gone again.
                            Scott

Comment

Good eye Art. You are correct, that is not the Pontiac. This one is right off the side of 2N02. It looks like car has been down there awhile, I'm surprised that I've never noticed it after a dozen trips along there.

Here is the Pontiac at the "Sluice", getting humped on by the "old Mr Green".

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                              X