Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: 1S09 Yucaipa Ridge

Greg Hoffman put out an open invitation to all SBNFA OHV Volunteers and all SBNF OHV AAT Volunteers to join him for a trail maintenance day on 1S09. 1S09 is an administrative trail only and it is not open to the public.

There were 12 Jeeps that met Greg at the Mill Creek Ranger Station at 9am. My Jeep is disassembled on the driveway so I rode with Stephan.

We crossed Mill Creek at the entrance to Forest Falls and made our way through 2 gates onto National Forest land on 1S08. The trail climbed steadily up through a dense canopy. We drove past a stand of old growth Cedar trees that was amazing. When we finally reached the ridge we found 1S09 and we headed southwest.

Once on the southern edge of the ridge we found less trees and more chaparral. We stopped to explore the Yucaipa Ridge Forebay (a small pond) that feeds the Mill Creek Hydroelectric plant. When the Mill Creek No.1 project began generating electricity on September 7, 1893, it was the first commercial use of 3-phase alternating current generators in the United States. http://www.ieee.org/web/aboutus/hist...ill_creek.html

Leaving the forebay we headed northeast on 1S09 towards Oak Glen. We found many areas that trees and sand/rocks had slid down covering the road. We cleaned these areas enough so that vehicles could safely pass.

We arrived in Oak Glen at 3:30pm. We said our good-byes and all headed in different directions. Another fabulous day on the forest.

Greg sharing his wisdom of the local area.

Looking down on Hwy 38 as it heads for Forest Falls/Angeles Oaks

High above Yucaipa and Oak Glen
    Last edited by FishPOET; 06-15-09, 08:08 AM.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Great report and pictures Doug. Thank for sharing them.
    Check out .

Comment

Too bad it's not an open trail, it sure is a beautiful area. I wonder why it's closed.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
        Too bad it's not an open trail, it sure is a beautiful area. I wonder why it's closed.
        Roger, it’s closed to the public because it is a administrative trail used by the Forest Service for official business only.
        Check out .

Comment

Just curious what the point of the clean-up is if the trail is for forest service use only? To help out an understaffed service and to make good relationships? Definitely neat to see a new trail though.
          2000 XJ, 108k miles
          33's, RE 4.5", 4.56

Comment

I was up there once about 25 years ago; spent the night camped out on an old clearoff spot, maybe used for a helo pad now ?
            use to be the old water sluice box along the top of the mountain that was visible from the highway; that's all been removed/replaced now.
            neat road and trail to be on; we came up from the Yucaipa side if I recall.

Comment

Doug,

Nice pictures and report. As to Admin only? Why is that? That is also the threat of 2N61Y Heartbreak Ridge, which is also on open public lands trsil. Just curious. I like the relations part of this and the help and support of Greg Hoffmsn.

Thsnks

Mitch

Comment

Working...
              X