Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Rockets and Rattlesnake Canyon

Today was an awesome day in the High Desert! We had a total of 18 rigs that met in various locations for the Rockets Launch event on the Lucerne Dry Lake and the after run to Rattlesnake Canyon. I'm sure that I'll miss someone here: Chuck (dirtman13) Max and baby Lila (max7), Scott (dezertdog), Scott and Lesa (AVjeepfreek), Clay (TJClay), Roger, Mary and grandson(Skittles), Ron and Dawn and baby Eathan
    (jeep4cern), Jack and wife (ECHO), Brian Nash (EVCJeep), Brian's friend Paul (in a full size 4x4Dodge), My friend Chris's dad Richard and mom
    (06'TJ), their friend Richard and his wife (pickup), Kirk (blueXJ), and Mitch (great88). We watched dozens of rocket launches till 10:30am and then those that wanted to run Rattlesnake Canyon left for the trailhead. At the trailhead off Hwy 247 we all aired down, had a quick drivers meeting and hit the trail.
    We had an easy start and soon found the scattered free range cattle and calves. I missed the Brama Bull while looking at the cattle. We soon for the extra credit rock gardens and those who wanted played while others watched and took pictures. Chuck, Brian, and Max did some entertaining and Chuck inverted his rear "Boomarang" shakle. We took several breaks in between the play spots and then at the last area Ron got alittle heavy on the skinney pedal and broke something in the stock rear D35. Everyone pitched in trying to figure out the problem trailside and we guessed it was the rear carrier or ring and pinion. After confirming that Ron had a Non C Clip we were able to carefully procede to Hwy 18 via 2N02 and 3N03.
    Ron was able to drive home, slowly and carefull. Everyone seemed to have fun, People, Dogs, and Kids!

Thanks to all that showed up for this fun run.

Mitch

Rocket Launch / Lucerne Dry Lake

Rattlesnake trailhead / Air down

Rattlesnake Canyon

Max7 Jeep team

The boys find a rock in the middle of the desert!

Chuck this doesn't look right

Follow the leader

Some of the "Locals"

Last edited by Mitch; 06-13-09, 09:16 PM.

Great time

Had a great time Mitch,
    Thanks for putting this thing together.
    It was fun wheelin with some ol friends and some new ones.
    Glad I finally got out on the trail with you Ron. Just sorry about the way it ended. Hope you had fun just the same.
    Lookin forward to the next one.

Scott
    Last edited by Dezertdog; 06-13-09, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Here's some video's from today. And yes Scott there are pic's!!!

Mitch

Rocket launch

Brian/Chuck

Chuck/Max

Scott (dezertdog)

Chuck / Brian
      Last edited by Mitch; 06-13-09, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Had a great time all. Nice to spend time with some old friends and to make some new ones. Feel bad that Ron got a bit busted up, but nice to know he had all the help he needed to get home safely.

Great trip Mitch.

Can you believe it....I was able to get Scott (DesertDog) to lay off the skinny peddle? Perhaps it was the "go slow and gentle or you WILL roll" comment that finally got his attention. BTW Scott.......nice job going down that ledge. You drove beautifully on a difficult line.

Hey Ron......welcome to the club....your Jeep OFFICIALLY Rocks! BTW.......don't think about it a something you broke and need to fix..........consider this a prime opportunity for an upgrade..........soon you too will have the sickness.
        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Yeah Brian,
          That comment did get my attention,
          I'll learn to drive this thing someday.
          Hey Mitch, I think I looked at the thread before you had the pix uploaded.

[COLOR="Red"]I want to say thank you to all the folks on this run for being patient and letting me try to keep up with Chuck, Brian & Max in my under-equipped Jeep!
          I love to get out there and try
          [/COLOR]:bonk:

GOOD TIMES!

Scott

Comment

Verdict on the the rear end....Drum roll! Can we say spider gears Two gears were toast.

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
              Had a great time all. Nice to spend time with some old friends and to make some new ones. Feel bad that Ron got a bit busted up, but nice to know he had all the help he needed to get home safely.

Great trip Mitch.

Can you believe it....I was able to get Scott (DesertDog) to lay off the skinny peddle? Perhaps it was the "go slow and gentle or you WILL roll" comment that finally got his attention. BTW Scott.......nice job going down that ledge. You drove beautifully on a difficult line.

Hey Ron......welcome to the club....your Jeep OFFICIALLY Rocks! BTW.......don't think about it a something you broke and need to fix..........consider this a prime opportunity for an upgrade..........soon you too will have the sickness.

Thanks . HAHAHAHA! Trying to get a plan to fix it and what I want to do in the time allowed before Pismo. It was just the spider gears (two of them).

Over all three of us had a nice time! Thanks for making us feel welcome. Actually, you guys...ROCK!

Comment

Thanks guys for another great day. It was nice meeting some new peeps. Ron, glad it was only your spider gears. We could have Lincoln locked it on the trail.
                A few from RocStock. They had some cool rockets. That one that launched as we pulled up was pretty awesome. It must have been 8-10' tall.

Here's your buddy Scott(avjeepfreek)

Trail Head

I thought this guy as going to charge.

Scott(Dezertdog), from what I have seen you already know how to drive.

The cause of Ron's spider gear incident.

And two of my favorite shots from the day.

The rest http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ake/?start=all
                Check out .

Comment

Chuck,

Great shots of the rockets taking off! Most were so fast that they were gone before I could react and snap a shot. Of course I don't have a bad ass camera like yours. Great day, thanks for coming out.

Mitch

Comment

Spider gears were in pieces. Couldn't weld them at all.

Comment

Great news on the Spider Gears.......of all the possible outcomes that one is relatively inexpensive to fix. When you do decide to upgrade, go to something that doesn't use a c-clip axle.

Great photos Chuck. Your timing is excellent....two shots of rockets at lift-off and one shot of a guy in the act of breaking his spider gears. Very nice.

Thank again all...it was a great day for Jeepin.
                      Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Just want to say that Lesa & I had a great time! We enjoyed the rockets and the wheelin along with all of the great company out on the trail!

I have to say that this group of guys and gals rock, With their "No Jeep left behind" attitude, my hats off to all of you! It really makes you feel good to know you wheel with people who care about making sure you get off the trail safely. Thanks again to everyone!

Scott & Lesa
                        "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Looks like one excellent run guys great pics.

Comment

Update to Ron's situation. I grabed some spider gears at my mechanics house this afternon and gave them to Ron, who was heading over to Mark's house for a quick install. Ron should be good to go for Pismo Beach next week. He does have some planned gear and axle updates coming soon.

Thanks to all for the fun day.

Tony, we need to get you off of the "hard stuff" (trails) and get you out on an exploring trip!

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                              Update to Ron's situation. I grabed some spider gears at my mechanics house this afternon and gave them to Ron, who was heading over to Mark's house for a quick install. Ron should be good to go for Pismo Beach next week. He does have some planned gear and axle updates coming soon.

Thanks to all for the fun day.

Tony, we need to get you off of the "hard stuff" (trails) and get you out on an exploring trip!

Mitch
                              You beat me to it

Thanks Mitch for the spider gears. Saved me some coin.

Correct, I also have an update to the axles. Different plan than I told you (will call you). But, an upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X