Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Head in the clouds at Cleghorn

A friend of mine Billy and his Rubicon(new MJR member) joined me for a trip to Cleghorn. I took pictures and have posted them for viewing (look below for link)
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joseph.w...CleghornJune6#
    I did a weather check before going. We were looking forward to a 70 degree day. We met a group 3 cherokee's, 1 real jeep :-) at the trailhead. We joined up with these guys later in the ride.
    We were anxious to get up the hill and got to the first turn out at powerline tower. We played on that liitle hill and I had my first real chance to take some time to work on technique with my toy (clutch, brake/clutch/gas, gas,brake, clutch. I can see why some buy Automatics! We hit those short little steep mounds and this defintely built confidence in the jeep abilities.
    We started to see some clouds rolling in as we got higher on the hill, temp dropped pretty quickly. We immediately jumped into the first turn out chute off the fireroad. These trails start very gradual and allow you get comfortable before dropping you into fun stuff. My friend Billy took the lead and drove straight into the Notch. I was on radio telling him to turn cuz i was feeling my sphincter tightening. He decided after looking at it from the bottom, he was goign to make a run at it. I grabbed my camera and ran up to take photos and spot for him. I found myself shaking my head and mumbling like the rain man ("I get my shorts at KMart, Wopner's at 3") The Notch can get be hairy if you do not know what you are doing. I have never attempted it before and stayed in the fire road in past.
    Billy is a much more expereinced Jeeper than myself and picked a line and stuck to it. I got some cool photos of him coming up. We found ourselves getting some great poser shots. He tackled the Notch and I followed shortly after. I did bypass the really hairy stuff due to inexperience. Billy promised to get me a Gucchi handbag if kept that up :-)
    Our new found friends joined us and we joined forces for a while. They definitely had more trail exeprience than us.
    We found ourselves climbing into the clouds and visibility got terrible. I was amazed with the amount of wild flowers on the hills. It was quite a site to see in some areas (see photos) We continued the ascent and found a few of the step ups on the hills very difficult. In one step up i found myself with one wheel high in the air. I was puckering and leaning (great photos)
    The descent can drop very quickly. He took our time and had lots of fun. We broke off from our new friends at Pucker hill.
    The day was a success, no breakage, met new friends and got to know my new toy
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joseph.w...CleghornJune6#
    Last edited by chilidipper; 06-08-09, 06:47 AM. Reason: added link for photos and spell check
    Living the Dream"!
    , Joe

Link doesn't work for me...
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Nor me...
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

yup same here taks me to my picassa page.
        Cleghorn is always fun though and the Gucci bag might make the wife or girl friend happy lol

Comment

Great report.
          The link worked fine for me. Some really good shots on the 'V' notch.

Glad you had a good time. Cleghorn is always fun.

Scott

Comment

Pics work now. Looks like a good day, albeit a little chilly. Hard to believe it was so cloudy when it was so sunny and beautiful here all weekend!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Thanks for sharing report and pics, glad you had a good time.

Comment

That's the next trail I want to tackle. After the 13th...14th?

Comment

cool pictures. i was on it on the 30th. cleghorn seems to never disappoint. went with a tacoma and a guy in his fj. it was the fj's second time wheeling, he had a wheel up in the air many times and was on the verge of rolling two or three times.

Comment

Nice report. Cleghorn is defiantly a fun trail. I like your air shots.
                    Check out .

Comment

Very nice pictures, it's a nice place to get your flex on

Comment

We wanted to get last runs in before it gets too hot. We enjoyed the day. Had lots of different weather, good scenic views and plenty of colorful vegetation on the top.
                        Living the Dream"!
                        , Joe

Comment

During the summer it's a very nice trail to run in the late afternoon and early evening

Comment

Hey Joe,

That looked like a fun day! I enjoyed the pics.

Christian
                            "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Great report and pic's Joe,thanks
                              Dennis
                              Dennis and Tammy
                              Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Working...
                              X