Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching that video again, I am willing to bet that cage saved their life not to mention the seatbelts. I really dont think the factory cage would of held up in that bad of a roll. I am glad everybody is ok though including the dog.
    Last edited by Jeeperator; 05-29-09, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Why wouldn't the factory hold up? I would think Crystler would have tested it some what? Does anyone know how much pressure a factory cage would take then an aftermarket? Not sure if I am asking right? I am sure it comes down to the metal.

Comment

However I am of the opinion it was the very fact that this driver was using an automatic that contributed to his demise.
        When forward progress was lost and his wheels began spinning, the driver lifted off the gas pedal. At this moment the torque converter spooled down, which in turn caused the vehicle to roll backwards. The driver applied the brakes to control the rearward momentum which in turn transferred the weight onto the driver’s rear tire. At the moment the tire entered the hole the increased revs allowed the torque convertor to catch up and created forward bite, which in this instance lifted the front higher and prompted the vehicle to roll around / over the rear tire (pivot point).

I was in the vehicle immediately behind the rolling Jeep, driving a 6 speed Rubi. IMHO I have way more control with a stick shift.

Sam Wiseman

This is from the guy that was behind the rolled Jeep.
        06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
        07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
          Why wouldn't the factory hold up? I would think Crystler would have tested it some what? Does anyone know how much pressure a factory cage would take then an aftermarket? Not sure if I am asking right? I am sure it comes down to the metal.
          Because the factory calls these "sports bars" in my JK manual and I assume in the older models also. They are not roll cages.
          Rich

Comment

They use the front windshield frame as part of the protection. I am sure its ok for a small rollover but not a big one like the one above. Heres a pic of what it does:

Notice the windshield frame is laying back the thin stock metal tubes bolted to the to the windshield collasped. Flatout had a good pic of a rolled jeep show the windshield completly collasped maybe he will post it.

Comment

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that a vehicle's roof must support 1.5 times the vehicle's weight. This law was changed this year to 3 times the vehicles weight but won’t be phased in till 2012-2015. Traveling at speed with multiple impacts it is easy to see that the factory roll bar is insufficient. The new law can be found HERE
              I don’t want to be the one to say this, but this roll is a result of driver error. He backed up so fast and got on the brakes really hard. I think that if he had gone slower or just stopped and asked for a winch he would be fine. Hindsight is 20-20 and I am sure the guy is thinking about a lot of things to do differently. But we can learn from this. I don't want to seem insensitive because I am sorry that this happened and happy that everyone is ok.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

The thing is it usually happen when you least expect it in the least likely places. I know this from experience lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                  They use the front windshield frame as part of the protection. I am sure its ok for a small rollover but not a big one like the one above. Heres a pic of what it does:

Notice the windshield frame is laying back the thin stock metal tubes bolted to the to the windshield collasped. Flatout had a good pic of a rolled jeep show the windshield completly collasped maybe he will post it.
                  Maybe I needed to clarify. I see how it folded. But making the factory roll cage better is an option? Meaning. there is a link and for $199 (to add to factory roll cage) to prevent that front from happening is a plus!?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                    The thing is it usually happen when you least expect it in the least likely places. I know this from experience lol.
                    X2,You never know,you can only be prepared.
                    Dennis and Tammy
                    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Maybe I needed to clarify. I see how it folded. But making the factory roll cage better is an option? Meaning. there is a link and for $199 (to add to factory roll cage) to prevent that front from happening is a plus!?
                      You see, the add on cage reinforces the the windshield area with 1.75 dom tubing from the factory main hoop all the way down to the floor. The factory main hoop (behind your head) is pretty strong and has a pretty thick wall. Notice its not crushed like the front A pillar.The $199 is an inexpensive alternative to making a weak factory cage stronger. You can also spend the $1000+ (for just the cage not installed or welded) on an awesome cage also and be better off.Its all related more money = better, stronger,safer in most cases.

Comment

Wow, scary. I am so happy everyone walked with minor injuries. I hope the dog recovers quickly. All the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA View Post
                          I would try to stay away from bolted in kits if possible. Gen Right makes a good welded in kit as to some others
                          I like the Gen-Right cage, as well as the Poly Performance Cage. Blue Torch Fab has a kit now as well, but I don't like the way they use plate (dash board to floor) instead of tube at the A-pillar. This is something I don't like about my Poison Spyder cage too, but when I bought it, it was the best kit available.

One thing that can add a lot of strength and virtually no weight to most any roll cage is the use of saddle gussets. They are much lighter and produce a much stronger joint than any significant flat plate gusset.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by mrchips View Post
                            However I am of the opinion it was the very fact that this driver was using an automatic that contributed to his demise.
                            The same result could come by stalling a manual, then trying to apply the footbrake (but having no vacuum assist because of said stalled motor). This is from someone who prefers manuals, and has rolled backwards a number of times after stalling.
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                            X