Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: High Desert Roundup 2009

The annual Cal4WDC High Desert Roundup event was held over the Memorial Day weekend in Stoddard Valley just south of Barstow, CA. Jason and his son, Josh set up camp in their usual spot just west of the registration area. I forgot how many years Jason said that he's been coming to the event, but he's camped at the same spot each time. Drew (Drewminator) joined us on Saturday. He brought his new (to him) well-built YJ. He arrived just after midnight on Saturday morning and left just after dinner on Saturday evening, so I didn't get any pictures of his rig. Here's a picture of our campsite:

Probably because of the economic conditions, the turnout for the event was lower than in past years. Here's a picture of this year's HDR basecamp taken from a hill southwest of camp:

Compare it to this picture of the 2006 basecamp taken from a hill northeast of camp:

There was one serious accident; the occupants, although sore, are OK. Here's a link to a video of the rollover that is posted on another site: http://www.rubiconscat.com/Stoddard/...Rollmovie.html
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Wow that video is scary. I am glad everyone is ok. Looks like they had a good roll cage and some good friends. I guess that’s the best you can ask for in a situation like that.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Whoa!! I am glad they are ok after watching their arms and heads flying around. Looks kinda like same hill where I broke my axle a couple years ago....

Comment

I'm surprised everyone walked away from that with minor injuries. I thought for sure that hands and arms would be broken or worse.

Glad to hear everyones okay.

Tam
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Yea, thats pretty scary! Amazing that everybody walked away...even their dog made it through ...except for a few stitches.

Comment

Wow , I think the man upstairs was riding shot gun with those folks on that day.. (FOR SURE).. So glad everyone was some what alright..
            "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

It's happened in the exact same place on that trail more than once:
              http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/t...s=bad,hair,day

Comment

It's amazing how quickly things went bad. Glad to hear everyone made it out okay . . . could have been much worse.
                That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

That is a scary video.
                  That hill is decieving. Looks like a sleeper, then BAM!

Glad everyone was okay.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X