0U812
    2BLK2DRS
    Doubleoh7
    Chilidipper
    Scaffoldman
    Nipple Twister
    Headhunter
    and me - Roger

I didn't list all the family names and guests because I didn't get all their names.

I should note that when I selected the date for the run I didn't realize that that there was also a HUGE multi-class off road race on the same day. Luckily it didn't start until 2:00 PM because we ran paralell and crossed the course several times.

We Aired down at Camp Rock & North Side Road. From there we headed to Anderson Dry Lake to pick up the old trail heading into the Fry Mtns.

The first leg of the day was exploring the Fry mountians. We looked at the Fry Mtn. Mine and a few went in exploring it.

From there we went past the ancient solar yard light set on a 10' mast. I explained the the group the ancient mariners used this light to navigate their ships up this wash. (Don't worry, they didn't buy it either)

Next we passed the ruins of an old mining camp. All that's left of it is a couple of building slabs and a concrete foundation for what was probably a hopper of some sort.

From there we continued up the wash to the wooden arrasta that great88 has posted about in the past.

The next leg of the trail took us up over the top of the Fry's on a narrow trail with a steep down grade, a little off-camber, and rocky. This section has a pucker factor of maybe five.

Once through the Fry's, we were in open desert and we crossed the race course looking both ways and wasting no time crossing it as there were a few rigs practicing.

We came back to the Fry's crossing them again one last time. Only this time we went up and down two really really steep hills. At the top of the second hill, was a panoramic view of a large area of Johnson valley over looking Anderson Dry lake with the town of Lucerne valley off in the distance to the west, the San Bernardino Mtns to the south and the Ord Mtns to the north.

From there we ran paralell to the race course with a lot of woop-de-do's which is a lot of fun. We actually had to be on the edge of the course it self for a very short distance until we could enter into a very narrow wash. This narrow wash is very cool. It probably runs for a mile maybe?

Once through the wash we stopped for lunch at the powerline road that runs east from Cougar Buttes and we were due north from Soggy Dry Lake - to give you and idea of where we were.

After a nice lunch we headed due south to Soggy Dry lake. We are now in open desert.

From there we followed the southern boundary for JV to Melville Dry Lake.

Next we continued east to Means Dry Lake. I guess I was a little ambious in my trip planning because it took way more time to reach this spot than I estimated. Everyone decided to end the day there. We all agreed that we would have a "Touring Johnson Valley Phase II" in the Fall to continue the route.

I know I really enjoyed the trip and I enjoyed being with all who attended.

I'll post a few photos later this evening. Wasn't able to take many photos as I was pretty busy!

If you were on the run, please post your photos!

One last thing, I wnat to thank all those who came out for the run. It was great to spend the day with you.

Respectfully submitted,

Roger
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

This was an awesome run. My family really enjoyed the day, and it was a pleasure to meet everyone in the group. So you guys ended it right after we left the group at Means lake? We had a nice drive home on the trail to Giant Rock that you pointed out. Managed to stay off road or on dirt roads all the way to our house on the outskirts of Joshua Tree/Landers.

Roger, even if the route took longer than you thought, it was well thought out to give a beginning tour of the valley. With so many vehicles, the "slinky effect" was bound to kill our speed, but that was alright. The ride was interesting yet easy enough that my wife took over driving for the first time. She was excited to actually be doing a trail that she did not think she would damage the Jeep on. We look forward to the 2nd part.

Justin

Comment

Roger, great report. Sounds like you guys had fun.

Can't wait until someone posts some pics!

Comment

Thanks Roger

Here is a picture of our lunch break. Thanks Roger, it was a great ride. I'm glad I didn't miss much after I left. I'm ready anytime for a repeat!
        Gregg Turk
        West Oak Hills
        greggturk.com
        95 Jeep Cherokee, 69 Jeep CJ5

Comment

I only have two Photos that came out

But here they are:

Goup coming up to Fry Mtn Mine:

Here we are at the wooden Arrasta:

I'm sorry I don't have more
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger,

This was a great run and very helpful in starting to get a "big picture" of the area.

Thanks for taking out on an outstanding trail ride!

Christian
            "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

I had a great time Roger. Thanks for being our tour guide. I didn't get a whole lot of pictures either. Some of these pictures were after we disbanded. Roger if you want me to move them to another thread let me know.
              -Scott

^ The round up at the Valero.

^ Chillidipper's new junk

^Fry Mountain Mine. About 100 feet in.

^Core hole in Fry Mountain Mine.

^headhunter, 2BLK2DRS, Brice and me decided we still had some jeeping in us so we played around on the rocks near Cougar Butes.

^I like the new trail markers. Good job guys.

^Brice taking a run at the first obstacle on bullfrog.

^We were lucky enough to catch a glimpse of this guy before he climbed back down into the rocks.

^Christian posing like a pro.

^ I got a poser in there too. This place is so beautiful. Definitely worth the drive from San Diego.

^ When the sun started getting low these guys came out. About then we decided to leave the desert to the animals for the night.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Scott,

Is that a "Sidewinder"? Different than any other rattler that I've seen around here.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                  Scott,

Is that a "Sidewinder"? Different than any other rattler that I've seen around here.

Mitch
                  I don't think it is, but I didn't see it move. I can't tell from the pictures if it has the sidewinder horns above its eyes.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

We had a good time

My wife and i enjoyed meeting new peole. Roger did a great job in leading the run, hope to be involved in other runs. Looking for a day at cleghorn--any takers drop me an e-mail winger06@verizon.net

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                      I don't think it is, but I didn't see it move. I can't tell from the pictures if it has the sidewinder horns above its eyes.
                      Looks like a speckled Rattler to me. But I haven't seen one in person. I'm just using the pics from this site for reference:

http://www.californiaherps.com/ident...l#rattlesnakes
                      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Save Johnson Valley!

To those of you who are fairly new to MJR and were on the run Saturday, I completely forgot to tell you about the Marines are possibly going to annex Johnson Valley.

Tam (JeepGal) and others have been working very hard to work with the Corps to find an alternate area for them the use.

If you liked what you saw on the trail and don't want to loose it, I implore you to add your name to the 10,000 others who have signed a petition with an alternate plan. It only takes a second to sign it, so please go here: http://www.savejohnsonvalley.com/

Thank you,

Roger
                        MJR moderator
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post

^ When the sun started getting low these guys came out. About then we decided to leave the desert to the animals for the night.
                          I'm pretty sure that this is a Western Rattlesnake.
                          WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

I really like the Cougar Butte area for camping and wheeling. Kids love to climb on the rocks and the rock mountain give some shelter from the wind. Even though I only live an hour from there it is a great place to get away. It is the way I remember Joshua Tree in the 50's, just drive in and pick a nice spot to camp. No fee's no designated spots. And now two marked rock crawling trails right there plus tons of great roads as you guys saw Saturday. It was great meeting you all and if anyone ever wants to do a weekend in that area just give me a little notice and I'll be there, particularly on weekdays when it is quiet!
                            Gregg (guy with the tan Cherokee)
                            Gregg Turk
                            West Oak Hills
                            greggturk.com
                            95 Jeep Cherokee, 69 Jeep CJ5

Comment

scramblin'

another pic of the snake
                              An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X