Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Pilot Rock Truck Trail / Devils Hole

Lesa and I, met Mitch (Great88), Josh, his son and Brother-in-law (MilPoliceXJ) and Mark, Patty and their two boys (EXTREME88) at the Valero at Main & I Ave at around 10:00 this morning. We headed out to the trail head at Cedar Springs Dam and aired down. It was a beautiful day and very mild temps. We started up the trail and found lots of OHV'ers out for the long weekend. Josh had a slight problem with his D30 vacuum engagement and couldn't get the front end to lock in. We decided to continue on to get out of the wind and came to the first obstacle on the trail so we stopped to play. Mitch had made one pass at the easy side with no problems and then decided to try the harder side when,........ Bang! (The sound no Jeeper wants to hear!) The sound of the drivers side rear axle breaking!! Lesa & I followed Mitch down to Hwy 138 and he was going to call for a tow. I meet back up with Josh and Mark up on the trail and they had fixed Josh's front axle. We continued on to Devils Hole and Mark had a little problem with his Jeep not wanting to run right. We made it to Devils Hole and hung out there for a while before heading back home.

Here are a few pics.

Mitch's first pass

Mark

Mitch's second pass.

BANG!!!!!!! "That didn't sound good!!"

Aside from the problems we had, I think we all still had a good time.

Sorry Mitch! I know you didn't need that Axle breakage on top of everything else that happened this week! I hope you can get if fixed as soon as possible!

******* On a side note. When we got down to Devils Hole we were met by some of the SBNF OHV volunteers that where leaving. They had gotten one of their Jeeps hung up in the rock garden at the entrance to Devils Hole. So we assisted them with shovels and Hi lift jacks to get the TJ un-highcentered from the big boulder it was sitting on. It took a few to get him out but, after stacking a few rocks we were able to get him backed off the rock and on to a new line up the hill.
    Last edited by avjeepfreek; 05-24-09, 10:02 AM.
    "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Mitch, good thing those azles carry a lifetime waranty. If you need help swapping them out just holler

Comment

Wow Mitch,

That's all you needed. Condolences man.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

What a bummer Mitch, sorry it put a damper on your trip. At least you were with the best folks around when things go bad.

Scott, those are some great photos! Thanks!

Comment

Bummer!...Sorry to hear that. Glad you had a good time though.

Comment

Ouch.I know the feeling. Good thing is its all fixable. Just a PITA. If you need help let me know
            You can make it

Comment

Here's a couple of photo's from the Silverwood/Pilot Rock part of the trip. Awesome weather and views. Thanks again Scoot and Lesa for the invite.

Mitch

Comment

Hey Mitch, Sorry again, I know this was supposed to be a nice easy run! Guess you never know when the Jeep Gremlins are going to strike! If there is anything I can do for you at all, Call me!

Scott

BTW, I added a little side note to the bottom of the origional post.

Comment

What broke? Front or rear axle?
                  "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

As far as I know so far the driver side rear axle. Superior 30 spline.

Comment

Well the "Free" relacement axle will be here today and installed tonight. Only cost will be $50 for a new bearing and inner seal plus new gear oil. This shaft broke clean in the middle and didn't grenade at the splines like the last one. That made for a smooth non-grinding very slow drive home. That axle was bent already and I think that was the problem, not that 5 foot plle of rock. So I promised Ken (Mechanic) that I would not hit hoop-d-doo trails at 50 mph and no more getting "AIR". I might look into some truss work when I'm working again.

Mitch

Comment

Nice pictures guys. Looks like a fun trip...except for Mitch's axle.
                        Check out .

Comment

Still had a great day!

Mitch

Comment

Sorry to hear 'bout your axle Mitch,
                            Glad it wasn't too expensive to fix.

Scott

Comment

Ooh. An S35 axle shaft? Yikes, just had the same ones installed a while back.

Luckily you got a free replacement!
                              "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X