Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Gold Mtn and John Bull

Well we had a nice early start this morning but to no avail. The weather was great but the trail was quite busy, the first real obstacle on Gold Mountain was backed up by a group of Hummers after about one and a half hour of this happiness one of the Hummers broke a tierod and we manage to pass their group.
    After that the rest of Gold Mountain was a pleasure to run from there on to John Bull much the same picture there just a whole lot more entertaining.
    By the way, The wat we go offroad club did a great job on John Bull. Definitely made it a bit more challenging. There were 2 groups ahead of usd and boy were they fun to watch when they tru to bash through the rocks, about 8 rigs made it past the gate keeper before one destroyed his driveshaft and transfercase.
    So the rest turned around and came back to drag their buddy of the trail. Not long after that the first group came back also, an older fellow in a Samurai had ripped the transfercase of its mounts and was being towed out. After that we took a stab at the gate keeper and made short work of it.
    From there it was a nice steady pace until we ran into Nathan and a friend coming from the other way, after a bit of manuvering we a;; went on our merry way tackled some more obstacles and finished the trail without any undue mishaps.
    Back in Fawnskin we ran back into the group we met at
    John Bull. they got everybody of the tr4ail so a good day was had by all.
    The time spend watching the guys tru to make the gatekeeper at John Bull was fun though, every way of doing this stuff wrong was shown, guys slamming and banging over rocks, smoking clutches and trying to bulldoze rocks is definitely entertaining when its not your rig being demolished, still a friendly group and fun to talk too
    Last edited by aw12345; 05-18-09, 12:28 AM.

Art, glad you had a great time...pics??..did you forget your camera??

Comment

Sounds like too much weekend traffic! Hope it was fun in the end. I'm looking forward to the additional rocks on John Bull!

Mitch

Comment

Hey Art! Great story of the run. I hope that pics are in the works.
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

You'll like it Mitch, might want to try it during the week though. It's definitely tougher than last year
          Makes it more fun

Here is part of the Gold Mtn parking lot

The fun at John Bull tell me why people beat on those noce old CJ's?

Fred coming up the gatekeeper

The end of the day airing up

Last edited by aw12345; 05-18-09, 12:33 AM.

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Looks like the work we did on the trail is appreciated. I haven't run the whole thing since it was re-worked. Maybe in a couple of weeks.
            MK[/COLOR]

Comment

Hey Art, nice to finally meet you, even though it was brief!
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Looks nice! I'll be back there soon.

Comment

So what your saying is that my lifted TJ with only the rear LSD and open diffs won't make John Bull? I made it through GateKeeper in Aug 06. I went on a Sunday in Aug but there was not traffic like that. That's too many vehicles and it does look like a parkinglot. A Hummer busted a tierod??
                  2004 TJ X
                  Callsign: KJ6DHG

Comment

Good driving will get you through Iron Belle

Comment

I wentthrough JB 3 weeks ago and never locked my ARB

Comment

They just recently changed the first part of the trail I think definatly a little more challenging at the start if you take the wrong line(like I did lol)I showed fred and art the line not to take hehe. Nice broke ford f250 about 1/2 way on the trail. nwoods that was you? sorry I didnt introduce myself but good to see you. Overall had a great time.
                        Last edited by Jeeperator; 05-18-09, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Slow day on the trail for sure.The H3 hummers weren't up to the challenge of Gold Mt.The best part was watching the group at gate keeper at john bull they were each getting high centered on the same rock what a show hammer down. The trail was a lot better than my last run a couple weeks ago.here are my pics

http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/Flatout/
                          You can make it

Comment

Thanks for the pics Fred.

Comment

Flatout is was slow on Gold Mtn. I was the Green Jk 4dr that was in front of you on Gold Mtn and was behind you on John Bull. My 2 sons and I had a great time on John Bull....

Originally posted by flatout View Post
                              Slow day on the trail for sure.The H3 hummers weren't up to the challenge of Gold Mt.The best part was watching the group at gate keeper at john bull they were each getting high centered on the same rock what a show hammer down. The trail was a lot better than my last run a couple weeks ago.here are my pics

http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/Flatout/

Comment

Working...
                              X