Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: S/E Johnson Valley Sites

I headed out early today to check out some sites in South East Johnson Valley. On the way I stopped on Bessimer Mine Road 1.4 miles north of Hwy 247 to take a look and a photo of the "King Clone" Creosote Bush. The story goes that this 30' ring of plants started as a single plant and as it grew outward the center died and it kept growing outward... This is large enough to see on Google Earth. Type in the following:
    34 25 13.68N 116 42 16.90W

Next I went to check out the old Rock Corral south of Hwy 247 in the Timico Acres area of Johnson Valley. Also just up the trail (south) is a neat, clean spring that the locals try to take care of. Very peaceful and even a nice picnic table and sunshade.

After a break in the shade I headed east a mile or so (a couple of canyons over) and found the old Rock Cabin. This is a neat old relic still hanging on to life in the desert. A mile or so north in Yaranka Canyon (Indian for "desertlike") there are some scattered indian petroglyphs. Another interesting area to explore.

Next I headed east on Quailbush for a few miles till I hit Hwy 247 near Landers. I went south on Hwy 247 to Linn Road and then headed east to the famous "Integratron", which is "Dedicated to Research in Life Expansion". You can look it up on Google if you want to learn more. From there I headed north and a little east towards Giant Rock. This is one large rock! This makes Hammerdown look like small pebbles! Neat area.

Straight north about 10 miles across the desert is the
    backside of the mountain range that the Hammers are on. The east side gets real close to the Twenty Nine Palms MCAGCC property! You need to pay attention in this area. When I got to the Los Padres Mine I had great expectations. Huge tailings piles!!! That usually means lots of tunnels. But this mine still has the door welded inplace and is intact! This appears to be intact from when it was originally sealed up. 25-40 years ago. People have tried cutting torches and portible saws but only small scratches. Could have been interesting. In the distant valley I could hear some battles raging on the base.

It was a 40 minute run back to Hwy 247 @ Bodick Road to air up and over an hour plus to get home. 175 miles and 10 hours....Time for some Cold Ones.

Mitch

"King Clone" Creosote Bush 34 25 13.68n 116 42 16.90w

Old Woman Springs on Hwy 247

"Rock Corral" 34 19 23.26n 116 33 39.70w

The Spring

This is part of a future story!!!

Old Rock Cabin

Petroglyphs in Yaranka Canyon (Johnson Valley)

The Famous Integratron in Landers

Giant Rock

Los Padres Mine

Last edited by Mitch; 05-15-09, 04:55 AM.

Thats a big boulder Mitch. Very cool.

Comment

Nice trip report Mitch, did you pick up any turquoise pieces in the Los Padres Mine tailings?

There's a story behind Giant Rock. During WWII General Patton trained his troops in the Mojave Desert. There was a German spy that was keeping tabs on the training and lived in a cave below Giant Rock. He would send messages via radio back to Germany. As the G men tracked him down and were closing in on him. He blew up the cave he was living in killing himself.

Now you know the rest of the story...
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger,

That is kinda close. Try this:

googlesightseeing.com/2006/05/19/giantrock

Check out the post from Tuesday 13th June

And also check out the link on the post: Tuesday 13th June

This is the last post and the only picture I've ever seen in several years researching this place!

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
          Roger,

That is kinda close. Try this:

googlesightseeing.com/2006/05/19/giantrock

Check out the post from Tuesday 13th June

And also check out the link on the post: Tuesday 13th June

This is the last post and the only picture I've ever seen in several years researching this place!

Mitch
          Mitch,

I'm sticking to the version I posted! I have heard it from too many people without variation.
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Great trip! I'd love to travel this area. I want to get out to Giant Rock one of these days.
            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Nice report Mitch. Makes me want to go exploring more.
              Check out .

Comment

Very cool Mitch,Thanks for the report and pic's
                Dennis and Tammy
                Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Interesting monuments Mitch.........As for Roger's Giant Rock story, it is basically correct. I can fill you in on the details if you want. Friends of Giant Rock can fill you in on more details.
                  Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Hey Brian,

I thought of you each time I saw one of those monuments. You Clamper guys get around!

I've read about George Van Tassel and also Frank Critzer for years. I first saw the Integratron 20 years ago. Lots of stories and guesses. Lots of people say they knew someone who knew George or Frank. Strange stuff for sure. A great area for exploring. I've been to 48 of the 55 places in Bill Mann's Lucerne Valley book! Still a few more to go.

Mitch

Comment

Another great trip report.
                      Thanks Mitch.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X