Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Dishpan Springs May 9th 09

We woke up this morning and soon found out that our plans had been canceled, so we decided to go to Arrowhead and get brunch.
    It was a day of leisurely choices, shopping in the morning, which tree to take lunch under, which trail to take. well we did have a blast.
    The jeep was in great form, I had been completing a few mods to it in the last few weeks, updating a few things and just wrenching around keeping it in shape. So we decided to just go to Arrowhead and let fate take it's course.
    Oncewe got there we went and searched for a place to have brunch, while in the village we ran into an old freind who had owned a boutique gift shp in Wrightwood, She had sold that and started a new shop in the village. Well we shopped there and found a nice tea and croissant shop for a quick brunch and off we went toward the dam. At Jensons market we stopped for picnic supplies and I gassed up next door. Humm this is the way into deep creek I thought, why not just run down to the waterfall and see what is up. We set off and cleared the first rock climb before airing down. I would have aired down at the creek but it seemed there were a few people wading in it with little clothes but what they were born in. Not wanting to get to know them that well we just went up the climb and aired down at the top. Better view nature and not sausage.
    Anyway the trail was empty but a few bikers, and that is a bit strange, I wholy expected a few groups on such a great day to be conquering the famed waterfall on dishpan, but it was empty. I decided to just take it up as we had it to ourselves, Missy got out and did a great job spotting and we were up to the top in less than 5 minutes. When I got to the top a guy on a dirt bike said he was wondering why Missy walked, she barely had to spot. Missy replied she would rather hear those scrapes, not feel them. Anyway no damage but a few scrapes on a slider where I used a rock as a pylon to turn on. Off we set and soon found the off camber area where yo climb out. I have to admit I chose a very interesting line and we had a bit of a feeling of weightlessness as the jeep slid sideways into the deep washout in the middle where the road was once. But Mable proved her worth of a jeep and we stayed rubber side down. Once we climbed out we met a young couple in a stock 4 door Jeep and they asked how the trail was where we had just came out. I just advised them to buy a few skidplates and a lift before they tried it and he decided prudence over brovado. All was well and we ducked into Crab Flat camp ground for a picnic. Shade and a potty, what could be better.
    BBQ sandwiches from Jensons and washing them down with cold water, I love the woods, we sat around a while and headed out. At Green Valley road we aired up, shot into Green Valley for a few chocolate shakes. Nice and smooth prepared the old fashioned way.
    Home by 3:30, a very nice day.
    Last edited by blackZZR; 05-09-09, 05:26 PM.
    censored for having an opinion

Jim,

Sounds like a nice day in the mountains. Trail was probly rather empty considering today was the Meet and Greet and we had over 100 people there. Too bad you had other plans, we missed you.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
      ... but it seemed there were a few people wading in it with little clothes but what they were born in. Not wanting to get to know them that well we just went up the climb and aired down at the top. Better view nature and not sausage.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
      X