Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Johnson Valley Pre-Run

Today our friday run was to get some waypoints for Roger's upcoming JV tour run. Roger, Scott (avjeepfreek), John and Jacob in their blue 06 Rubi, and Mitch (great88) headed to the Fry Mountains area in Johnson Valley. We wandered around looking for the Wooden Arrastra for a while, checking small canyons and trails. John found a small fuel leak in the Rubi and had to leave early. I've been to this spot many times but always approached from a different direction. We finally found the short wash that leads to the spot we were looking for. In the wash is a little squeeze spot in the rocks and then a small waterfall. Using the locker cruised me right up the loose climb, but others open had a small set back. A little straping and some rock stacking got everyone else up and on trail again. The Wooden Arrastra was just like it was last trip here, unmolested and the area clean! Next we back tracked to the Fry Mountain Mine. We explorede this to the end which is about
    500' deep into the mountain. We saw a little Rosy Boa snake inside looking for a mouse. A very cool mine. If you go on Rogers trip make sure that he takes you here! After a snack break we left the area and headed east toward Soggy Dry Lake and then to Hwy 247 on Green Rock Mine Road. While driving this road to get to the hwy, we passed a place that Roger described as something out of the "Deliverance" movie. A run down parcel with junky trailers and an old motorhome and assorted trash. But what caught my eye was the property boundry posts. One 4x4 post had a black bears head stuck on it. Yes a real bear head less than a day or two old! After taking a picture of it I noticed that the south boundry post had a wild boar head on it! Now at this point I was getting nervous and just floored it and left. Rather a spooky thing to see. It is said that people live in the middle of nowhere for a reason. Yikes

Mitch

This is just freaky!!!!

OK, The "head" thing is tooooooo coooool!,and yes, FREAKY! Gotta love the desert!
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Cool report and shots Mitch.Wish I were going on this but duty calls and I'm on call.
      Dennis and Tammy
      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Mitch, how do you find all of these neat trails. You'll have to make up a map or something.
        MK[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

We missed you today! I looked for you cause I have the BLM tools you need and I bought a little thank you gift for you. When I see you, you will learn one of my secrets to finding the good stuff! Have fun in Moab! Call me when you get back.

Mitch
          Last edited by Mitch; 05-09-09, 08:21 PM.

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]I really wanted to make the M&G, but have been so busy. I let my wife choose for Mothers day. After all I will be doing a week of 4wheelin in M Utah.

I was thinking of the 23rd for the marker run.

MK[/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Mitch, I found a new mine site in Big Bear!!
              Only one catch, you have to hike to it.
              It's located on the Cougar Crest hiking trail.
              Trailhead parking area is 1/4 mile west of the Discovery Center.

The site is about a quarter mile up the trail on the right. Not sure of the history.

Mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

I have info about all of the Big Bear mines we discussed on our trip. I'll PM.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch-

That little rock ledge climb in the wash sure looks familiar....you didn't have to strap Roger over it again did you?
                  Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Brian,

I...... well .....ah.......rocks ......wheels spinning.......drop the clutch ...... Not moving......

I can't remember anything except that I went right up it, then down it, and then up it again. I might have used my strap on someone while I was there....

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
                      Mitch-

That little rock ledge climb in the wash sure looks familiar....you didn't have to strap Roger over it again did you?

It wasn't me that was towed over it last time...
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

My bad..........you just couldn't climb the wee little hill because you forgot to put your Jeep in 4 wheel drive! I'm sorry for slandering the wrong person. I hope you have noticed that Mitch hasn't removed his tow strap from the front of his Jeep since that day.
                        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
                          My bad..........you just couldn't climb the wee little hill because you forgot to put your Jeep in 4 wheel drive! I'm sorry for slandering the wrong person. I hope you have noticed that Mitch hasn't removed his tow strap from the front of his Jeep since that day.
                          Geeze Brian some friend you turned out to be
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                          X