Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: New Dixie Mine Trail

This morning I met with Mike Kolher at Bullfrog. Mike had a meeting with a gentleman from the BLM regarding the trail designation of both Bullfrom and Cakewalk. The meeting went great and Mike and I installed the trailhead signs. We still need more stick on letters, but we now the installation tools and are approved.

After a quick run through the Bullfrog area we headed to Hwy 247 and then east to Landers area. Along the way Mike spotted a Desert Tortoise on the paved shoulder heading towards the driving lane. The Tortoise had already been hit once and to keep it alive we removed it and placed it in the exact same direction across the Hwy. Hopefully this guy makes it.

We headed east to New Dixie Mine Road in the Landers area and headed west on BLM 2330. Mike led us on New dixie Mineroad heading towards Rattlesnake Canyon miles in the distance. Several miles along the trail we took a side trail and found a neat old cabin at the deadend. This must have been nice before the creeps tore it up. Back on the main trail we continued west to BLM2347 and headed south/west to a series of steep, narrow switch-backs heading up the hill. Of course this made me real happy...Or Not!
    The turns required the 3 point turn and did not have much margin for error. As always, what comes up must go down! At least the steep narrow decent didn't have switch-backs! This brought us out 1000' above Rattlesnake Canyon near Vaughn Springs.

After we hit level ground, we checked out the old mining camp and then we headed south to 2N02.

At 2N02 we parted ways with Mike heading east towards Pioneer Town and Me heading back west on 2N02 to 3N03.

Mike thank you for a great day! 9 Hours and 150 miles later I'm home.

Mitch

The new trailhead sign

Jaws formation (you'll see this soon)

Cool side trail

The switch-backs

Going down to Rattlesnake Canyon

Old Cabin foundation

Wow, Climbing in old mines is dangerous!

3N03
    Last edited by JeepGal; 05-06-09, 08:41 AM.

[COLOR="Blue"]Mitch looks like you found the Rose Mine. I had a great day, thanks for the report.

BTW the Roadrunner trail was real nice, 2WD all the way. There were some pictographs in the bottom of one of the washes.
    mk[/COLOR]

Obstacle on next years new trail.

Looking down on Rattlesnake Cyn

The Roadrunner Trail

Cool rock formations

Pictographs

Last edited by mkjeepers; 05-05-09, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Mike,

You didn't say anything about Pictoglyphs or petroglyphs after we split up! Nice photo's, thanks again.

Mitch

Comment

Wow, What a cool trail! Nice pics guys.

CW sign is cool. (officially).

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
          Mike,

You didn't say anything about Pictoglyphs or petroglyphs after we split up! Nice photo's, thanks again.

Mitch
          [COLOR="Blue"]I didn't know they were there till I saw the sign in the wash. there were more, but someone has already de-faced them.
          mk[/COLOR]
          Last edited by mkjeepers; 05-06-09, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Very cool report and great pics guy's,Thanks
            Dennis and Tammy
            Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Mitch, Always enjoy your reports! Looks like another trail you'll have to have show me!
              "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Very cool, and close.....
                :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Here's a video of us decending into Rattlesnake Canyon from the New Dixie Mine Trail or BLM2247? This section was rather steep coming down from the top after the switch-backs, but then leveled out some.

Mitch

Comment

Love the old building structures. Fun to wonder about their history.

Comment

That is just awesome.

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                      [COLOR="Blue"]I didn't know they were there till I saw the sign in the wash. there were more, but someone has already de-faced them.
                      mk[/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]I'm planning to do this loop again early next year, but adding a couple of short cuts. Rattlesnake cyn should be fun with some water running down it.[/COLOR]

Comment

I agree Mike. We will let you know tomorrow.

Comment

Hey mitch How to i get to that minning town if i was coming from chino, it looks like a fun run. Thanks

Comment

Justin,

Looks like we will be going out there on Saturday if you are interested. Most likely we will head upstream from Hwy 247. For you that would be north on the 15 Fwy to Bear Valley Road in Victorville. East till Bear Valley turns into Hwy 18 and continue to Lucerne Valley. Normal meeting place is the Valero Gas Station in Lucerne on Hwy 18. Look for a trip post tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X