Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Cleghorn(2n47) and Pilot Rock(2n33) 5/3/09

This morning Sean(2BLK2DRS), Dennis(G4Play), Christian(headhunter), and I (Scott/OU812) went up Cleghorn. We meet at Cajon Rd and Cleghorn at 0930 and headed up the trail at 0945. There were lots of folks on the trail this morning. Everyone we stopped to talk to was very friendly. When we were airing down we met Joe in a well built Ford F-250. He asked if there was an off road trails around and after talking to him for a few minutes we all headed off together. We made it about 2/3 of a mile in when we had our first mechanical when Dennis's unused tach wire on his coil was arching to the coil and causing a misfire. A butt connector later we were back on the trail. At this time we met Ben in a blue TJ with a hard top. Ben is a local, in-fact he pointed out his house to us across the valley. Ben decided to join us for the day and fell in line. We followed lots of off-chutes, one that required backing down. At one of our many leisurely stops to look at the view and hang out, Ben noticed his track bar was in two pieces. Since he lived only a few miles away he was not worried. We zip-tied the two pieces out of the way and continued. At Silverwood Lake we decided to run up Pilot Rock Road 2n33. Our new friend Joe in the F-250 left us here mumbling something about buying a jeep. We stopped near the lake on 2n33 to eat lunch. 2n33 was much like Cleghorn with many optional lines. Sean and me took several of the optional lines and Dennis, Christian, and Ben were nice enough to wait for us(Thank you guys BTW). A few miles from the hwy Sean broke his track bar. Luckily he didn't break his in two like Ben did. Seans heim worked its way out of the track bar. Ben offered up this heim joint to get sean back on the trail but fortunately we were able to reattach his heim joint to the track bar. Other than these few small mechanical issues it was a smooth day. We relaxed and had fun. It was pretty warm out and we did see one rattle snake and one gardner snake. I didn't get a lot of pictures but here are some of the ones that I did get...

The meeting spot.

This was fun to watch. Five locomotives all working hard to pull this load up the Cajon pass.

Gardner snake...

Thanks for the new mirror Materdaddy! Keeping it street legal...ish

Sean(2BLK2DRS)

Sean(poser)

Sean wondering if this will contribute to a heim joint failure later???

Jeeps n order from left to right: Sean(2BLK2DRS), Scott(OU812), Dennis(G4Play), Ben(the Local), Christian(headhunter), and Joe (the guy who realized he needed a jeep today)

Everyone enjoying the last view-spot before we aired up and hit the less than dusty trail...
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Great photos & write-up! I sympathize with the guy in the F250. After doing over $3,000.00 damage to my full size Nissan out on a trail, I was convinced it was time to buy a Jeep...
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Nice write up Scott! I didn't have a camera for our run (Tiffany took it to Disneyland with the little one). Hopefully others will post up pictures from our run soon!

Originally posted by Roger View Post
      Great photos & write-up! I sympathize with the guy in the F250. After doing over $3,000.00 damage to my full size Nissan out on a trail, I was convinced it was time to buy a Jeep...
      That's exactly the point. There are lots of vehicles that *CAN* do trails like Cleghorn, John Bull, but it seems the amount of money required to build them to do the trails without body damage far exceeds our Just Empty Every Pocket costs. I'm sure that F250 made it through everything fine. But then again, Russ made it through the waterfall on Dishpan with only one minor tug on the hardest line!!! (I know, it's Russ... that's what he does).
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Scott,

Great report and pics, looks like you guys had a great time.

Comment

It was a great day to hang with everyone on the trail.

This was a perfect note to end the weekend on!

Many thanks to Scott (OU812) and our new found friend and resident, Ben, for leading the way.

Christian
          "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post

<snip>

When we were airing down we met Joe in a well built Ford F-250. He asked if there was an off road trails around and after talking to him for a few minutes we all headed off together.

<snip>

At Silverwood Lake we decided to run up Pilot Rock Road 2n33. Our new friend Joe in the F-250 left us here mumbling something about buying a jeep.

<snip>

Jeeps n order from left to right: Sean(2BLK2DRS), Scott(OU812), Dennis(G4Play), Ben(the Local), Christian(headhunter), and Joe (the guy who realized he needed a jeep today)

Joe said he was going to sign up here as "chilidipper" and I noticed that he did. Maybe soon he'll have a Jeep to come out and play with!

All off-road excursions lead here eventually!

Christian
            "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Had a great time. Thanks for everyone being so patient when i broke. No Scott a frame would not have prevented it .!..!. Much thanks to Christian for the much needed wrench, and Bryce, who seemed to be having a blast working on other peoples stuff throughout the day.
              An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                Had a great time. Thanks for everyone being so patient when i broke. No Scott a frame would not have prevented it .!..!. Much thanks to Christian for the much needed wrench, and Bryce, who seemed to be having a blast working on other peoples stuff throughout the day.
                It's my pleasure, I'm glad I had the wrench! I'm sure that one day it will be me needing something.

See you again soon!

Christian

Comment

What a great day it was.Me and the boys want to thank evryone that was out with us.Scott(OU812)for setting up the run and leading.Chistian(Headhunter) for sticking around, comeing with us and shareing his Big tool box.Bryce for working on Mine and almost everyones rig.Sean (2BLK2DRS) for the show.Ben (Local guy)for leading us on the 2nd trail."D" (can't spell his name)For keeping the howling hounds at bay.Joe (F-250 diesel)also known (Chilidipper)For working that big ass rig through some tight spots to come with us.Know it's late but had a hard time with the down load from my camera,Pic's come soon.
                  Dennis
                  Dennis and Tammy
                  Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Ok here's my pic's.Had to down load at work on one with Windows XP.
                    Air down

Scott catching up

Sean catching up

stump stop

Air Up

Last edited by GP4Play; 05-06-09, 10:19 AM.
                    Dennis and Tammy
                    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Had a fantastic day with good group of guys. I spent most of the day very jealous as I watched most of you running up chutes that the white elephant could not go. I enjoyed the company and appreciated the warm welcome even though you did make me bring up the rear :-) I guess no one likes to breath plumes of black diesel smoke. I went straight to the jeep dealer and was tempted but did not pull the trigger. I am going to find a good used one, just need to be patient. Thanks Again guys
                      Living the Dream"!
                      , Joe

Comment

FYI, when I joined here I had a Toyota pickup. There was not a thing wrong with it. But I decided that I needed a Jeep for a few reasons. I had always wanted one. They are EASY to work on. And the knowledge base on the internet is huge. Almost any question you could have about your Jeep can be answered on the WWW. And when you are away from the WWW, say in the middle of the desert and you break something, there is help out there too. If you break down on the trail chances are someone will now how to fix it or have a spare part to lend you.
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                        X