Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Big Bear Lunch & Jacoby Canyon

What started as a phone call to set up an easy run from Apple Valley to Big Bear for lunch ended up being a 7 Jeep run! As it turned out this was a great group and extremely fun time. I was at my friend Justin's house at 7:00am to help install his new bumpers before the run. So between installing the new bumpers, T-ball for his son @ 8:00am, chasing down extra hardware at Lowes......I finally made it home to meet up with the first group.

Justin and son Wyatt, friends Todd and his 2 sons, Jason ans son (Tapitio Thomas), and Christian (headhunter)met at my house in Hesperia @ 10:00am. We then headed to Apple Valley to meet with Roger, Scott (avjeepfreek), and Clay (TJClay) at the trailhead.

After a quick meeting we left from Roundup Way and Bowen Ranch Road and headed towards Big Bear. This is an easy trail that starts with a graded road and switch backs to gain the elevation needed to enter the "Table Lands" area. The main trail is 3N14 (AKA Coxy Truck Trail). We stopped for a short break and while the kids climbed and played the main message of my morning meeting came to everyones attention as the kids all ran back to the Jeeps yelling RATTLESNAKE!. We had discussed this and they responded correctly. This was the second snake sighting in the first hour. We continued to the Big Pine Flat camp are and turned east on 3N16 (Holcolm Valley Road). 3N14 is still closed to Fawnskin at this point. We drove across the burn areas on 3N16 till we hit Poloque Canyon and headed south to the lake. We slowly cruised into Big Bear and Stopped for Lunch at a nice Mexican Restuarant in "The Village". After lunch Roger had to leave and headed back via pavement. The rest went back to Poloque Canyon and headed east when we got to 3N16. We drove through Holcolm Valley and saw a couple of deer run across the road in front of us. We saw a new FJ off the trail and knew that something was wrong, so MJR to the rescue. This guy decided to try and drive (illegally) through a wet marsh area and quickly was buried in the sloppy mud. Another Jeep pulled up right before us and we all made sure that this guy and his friends were winched out safely and that they understood the penalty of driving off trail and through the swamp. When we hit the end of 3N16 we headed downhill through Jacoby Canyon (3N61). We had a nice easy run through the trees and narrow trail. One more break and we continued on. Someone in a Burgundy Jeep (great88?) tried a little posing thing and hit a shackle and inverted it against the frame and further bent the right front spring. So Jason and others helped get that straightened as we aired up at Hwy18. An easy drive back across town and all was good to go!

Thanks everyone! Another perfect day. Great meeting new faces.

Mitch

3N14

3N16

MJR invades Big Bear!

What not to do!

TJ Clay's dog "KC" on patrol

Old ore hopper at Lucky Baldwin Mine

Jacoby Canyon

This dosen't look right!

Damn leaf sprung Jeeps.:yay: We almost out numbered those round eye guys. They're Jeeps. Even that long Jeep looking thing with the extra junk in the rear.
    Had a great time meeting new MJR faces. Thanks for the run. For a run that was just exploring in nature, turned out to a great day. I had yet to run Jacoby Canyon and was glad I got the chance. Even that real steep hill Mitch warned us about.
    The weather was perfect. Couldn't have asked for a better day. I look forward to the next one. I think the guy in the the FJ was quite embarassed for his actions. No you don't want the ranger to come help you on this one. I don't think he will try that again.
    Good times.

Comment

Jason,

Thanks again for the help with my front spring! It was nice to finally meet you. I knewthat you'd like the joke about the "Steep" trail thing.

Mitch

Comment

Did you guys notice that when we were on Pine Knot Ave all the tourists that stopped and took our pictures? I saw a least 6 or 7 pointing at us and snapping pictures! Too funny!

I wonder how many came up in mini vans and wish they were us! (quote stolen)
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Nice report & pics Mitch, Looks like a good time.

Comment

Tony,

Thanks. I can you always use your spotting! I have a date with Hammerdown!!!!So I'll need you again soon.

Mitch

Comment

You got it Bro; I got your back!!

Comment

Looks like fun, I'll have to get out and join you guys sometime.

Comment

That was a fantastic day!

At the end of our run, I decided to stay out there for the next morning's run with OU812 instead of driving back to Altadena and back. I found the campground that was recommended well before dark and had plenty of time to set up camp and go for a little walk.

The campground was called Mojave River Fork Campground.

I took all of that "junk in my trunk" :wink: out of my long Jeep to make a comfortable place to sleep, hung my Coleman lantern on a rope between trees and waited for it to get a bit darker to light the Pine Mountain log that I carry with me in the fire ring.

Then I kicked back in my comfortable chair, used my ActionPackers as an end table and an ottoman and ate the footlong sandwich that I had not eaten for lunch.

It was a great way to spend the evening and a much better option that driving back and forth from home.

Thank you all for a wonderful day and showing me some great places!

I look forward to doing more of this soon!

Christian
                  "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Yep, I second that! I was a great day, good weather and great friends! Here are a few more pic's.

"I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Wow Mitch,
                      Keep em comin'.
                      Looks like a great time guys.
                      Glad to hear you may be employed soon Mitch, good luck.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X