Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

someone else on mjr is also planning a trip on this day. I think I will go over to the other trip to devils hole. I've done johnson valley plenty and I've been wanting to do devils hole for awhile.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
      Christian, I'm continuing previous post.

Last night and this morning I finally checked out the thread started by Fishpoet: "New USGS electronic maps." It's a pretty cool site.

I down-loaded the Fry Mountian and Ord Mountian maps. For this trip, I suggest you down-load the Fry Mtn map. More later...
      Hey Roger,

I understand and haven't even gotten a GPS unit yet. I've been researching some Garmin units and have not been able to make a decision on which one to buy yet.

Hopefully, we'll both get good at the mapping thing someday and be able to make some up!

I'll have to look for that thread by Fishpoet and download the map you mention. Then I can print that out and put an "X" where I think we are as we go.

Thanks.

Christian
      "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
        Hey Roger,

I understand and haven't even gotten a GPS unit yet. I've been researching some Garmin units and have not been able to make a decision on which one to buy yet.

Hopefully, we'll both get good at the mapping thing someday and be able to make some up!

I'll have to look for that thread by Fishpoet and download the map you mention. Then I can print that out and put an "X" where I think we are as we go.

Thanks.

Christian
        Christian, I have some way points & points of interest I can give you. I'll print out the map of the Fry Mtns for you. This will be only for the Fry Mtn portion of the trail. I did not pre-run the whole trail.

The trail actually covers about 4 USGS Topo maps.

Here's the link to FishPoet's thread: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13602

We have some heavy GPS users in MJR. Fishpoet & dirtman13 come to mind. You may want to contact them for advice in purchasing a GPS unit. There's a lot more than those two also!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger, I just wanted to touch base and let you know I'm really looking forward to the Johnson Valley Tour Saturday. I met you briefly when we met in Oak Hills to go down to the BassPro Meet and Greet but then never saw any of the guys again in the crowd. Thanks for leading this adventure. I'll be at the Valero in Lucerne before 8AM ready to go.
          Gregg Turk
          Gregg Turk
          West Oak Hills
          greggturk.com
          95 Jeep Cherokee, 69 Jeep CJ5

Comment

I am not 100% if were going due to the motor issues. We are bring it to the shop in Oak Hills. Wlliot is going to take care of us. We will see if it's out on time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
              I am not 100% if were going due to the motor issues. We are bring it to the shop in Oak Hills. Wlliot is going to take care of us. We will see if it's out on time.
              I doubt any shop could do a complete rebuild in two days. And if they could I wouldn't want them too. Most machine shops around here take at least a day to work the head and adjust the valves. I'd be stoked to see you guys out there if im wrong though. Once its done your heep is going to be set, a brand new lift and a new motor to macth. Hopefully this will be the last of the needs for a while so you can spend your time on some wants.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by tgregg View Post
                Roger, I just wanted to touch base and let you know I'm really looking forward to the Johnson Valley Tour Saturday. I met you briefly when we met in Oak Hills to go down to the BassPro Meet and Greet but then never saw any of the guys again in the crowd. Thanks for leading this adventure. I'll be at the Valero in Lucerne before 8AM ready to go.
                Gregg Turk
                Gregg,

Thanks for the post. You didn't see me when I got my BIG trophy???? Remember we also met at the M & G in Apple Valley.

I'm really looking forward to this run also. I think everyone will enjoy it. Thanks for planning on arriving early. I hope everyone else is planning on arriving early also. We've got a long day!
                MJR moderator
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post

I hope it all works out for you so you can go Saturday. Please keep me up to date on your status.
                  MJR moderator
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Christian, I have some way points & points of interest I can give you. I'll print out the map of the Fry Mtns for you. This will be only for the Fry Mtn portion of the trail. I did not pre-run the whole trail.

The trail actually covers about 4 USGS Topo maps.

Here's the link to FishPoet's thread: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13602

We have some heavy GPS users in MJR. Fishpoet & dirtman13 come to mind. You may want to contact them for advice in purchasing a GPS unit. There's a lot more than those two also!
                    Thanks!

I'll be sure to include them in my research.

I've been finding out all sorts of things by reading old threads all over the net. Not that it's helped me make any decisions!

I'm really looking foward to Saturday!

Christian
                    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                      I doubt any shop could do a complete rebuild in two days. And if they could I wouldn't want them too. Most machine shops around here take at least a day to work the head and adjust the valves. I'd be stoked to see you guys out there if im wrong though. Once its done your heep is going to be set, a brand new lift and a new motor to macth. Hopefully this will be the last of the needs for a while so you can spend your time on some wants.
                      Top end only.

Comment

I hope it all works out for you so you can go Saturday. Please keep me up to date on your status.
                        I will do that. Thanks.

Comment

Gregg,

Thanks for the post. You didn't see me when I got my BIG trophy???? Remember we also met at the M & G in Apple Valley.

I'm really looking forward to this run also. I think everyone will enjoy it. Thanks for planning on arriving early. I hope everyone else is planning on arriving early also. We've got a long day!
                          Yes I remember the Apple Valley M&G but that was my first ever MJR thing and I was kind of observing in the background so I didn't think you'd remember me. The weather looks like it will be great!
                          Gregg Turk
                          West Oak Hills
                          greggturk.com

Comment

Originally posted by tgregg View Post
                            Yes I remember the Apple Valley M&G but that was my first ever MJR thing and I was kind of observing in the background so I didn't think you'd remember me. The weather looks like it will be great!
                            I remember you from the Apple Valley M&G. You couldn't stay for long. You missed great trail run afterwards.

I’ve got to pack up all my gear tonight because 2BLK2DRS(sean) and me are going to stay with G4play Friday night so we don’t have to get up at 5am to make the 120 mile drive to JV. Thanks Dennis!
                            Those left standing
                            Will make millions
                            Writing books on ways
                            It should have been
                            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Thanks, I am also packing and checking fluids.
                              Gregg Turk
                              West Oak Hills
                              greggturk.com

Comment

To Everyone signed up:

There are four still signed up under the "maybe" section:
                                Geebo [-] :: 05-04-09 03:10 PM
                                Jeep4cern [-] :: 05-09-09 01:08 AM - We just might go =)
                                JeepinLA Eh [-] :: 05-05-09 07:22 PM - I am in as long as work doesn't interfere!!!
                                nwoods [-] + 1 guest :: 05-04-09 11:44 PM

Please update your status. You should know by now if you are able to go or not. I'm trying to get an accurate head count. If you are in the "yes" section and you will not be going, please change your status.

Also, Please update your guest information. I only need guest vehicles, not passingers in your Jeep.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.
                                MJR moderator
                                Jeep Patrol Leader
                                Reforestation Supervisor
                                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                                Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                                X