Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Golden Spike Trail

This trail is so cool, that deserves a separated thread...

slideshow is backwards... sorry for that...
    http://www.yopo4x4.com/slideshow.php?id=23&eid=337

Golden Spike Trail – Day Four

Wednesday, 04/08/09. Nothing can prepare you enough for the Golden Spike Trail. I watched videos, tons of pictures, read articles about it, and my conclusion is that it’s like getting married. You have no clue about what you are getting into until you are there.
    I was worried about the Golden Crack, everyone that’s done it before has a picture in that spot…but we went over huge walls, not just simple little rocks, which make you think: “How in the world am I going to crawl over that!” The Golden Crack is a piece of cake compared to the other obstacles that you must conquer in order to achieve your rank. There are no by-passes in the majority of the obstacles, so your spotter becomes priceless.

I’m so glad that Alexis Carvallo, Robert Lucero and Doug Ingrao came with us. They have been playing in Moab for more than few years and it’s like their backyard. Their input was a key factor for my successful driving through this world wide famous trail. So it was another earned stripe for Buttercup.

The line-up of Jeep small groups was endless. I guess that lots of people planned their own agenda, as we did it. For second day in a row, the yellow Jeep broke something. This time, it was the most common failure in Jeeps; you name it. Yes, you guessed it, the drive shaft u-joint. Alexis was half way prepared for that. He had the spare, but not the tool to remove mutilated bolts, and neither and extra set of straps. The entire repair was done by him, and that says a lot because although Alexis carries a ton of tool in his Jeep, he knows how to use very few of them. Every single group that passed by, offered help and asked if we needed anything. Indeed, so we asked for tools and the straps. We got them in no time. Thanks to every single person that stopped for us, and offered help, spares and tools. You guys rock!

Robert Lucero has a unique style to spotting people, one hand inside his pant pocket, his body slightly leaning looking cool, and the other hand, suspended in the air with only the movement of one finger in the direction that he wants you to turn your wheels. His eyes were all over a cute Venezuelan girl, and I don’t blame him at all! It’s just not great if you’re the one he’s spotting at the moment. We’re still laughing about it, especially when Cat Head was describing his experience and doing the same movements that Robert Lucero did. By the way, did you notice that we have three Roberts in our trip? Man, what a popular name…Can you imagine listening to the CB: “hey Roberto, came and help me”… ok, which one?

Anyways, we finished our day long trip, and at the end, you’re tired, with a big smile on your face. We took hundreds of pictures, so my hope is to share my experience with lots of people, so that when someone invites you to Moab, you just say: “yes, I do!”

Roberto L. Miranda

Golden Spike Trail – Day Four

Miercoles, 04/08/09. Nada puede prepararte lo suficiente para Golden Spike Trail. Yo estuve mirando varios videos, cientos de fotografías, leí artículos al respecto, y mi conclusión es que es la misma cosa que casarse. No tienes idea en que te estas metiendo hasta que estas allí. Yo estaba preocupado por Golden Crack, ya que todo el mundo tiene una foto en ese afamado obstáculo, pero nos toco subir unas paredes, porque no son unas simples rocas, que te hacen pensar por un instante: ¿Y como coños voy a subir esa mierda? Ustedes están locos!!! y me disculpan el francés, pero eso fue exactamente lo que pensé y dije mas de una vez mientras realizábamos el trayecto. Golden Crack es una mocha e cuneta, comparado con el resto de los obstáculos, por lo tanto, el guía externo viene a ser extremadamente útil en este paseo.

Me alegro muchísimo haber contado con la participación de Alexis Carvallo, Robert Lucero y Doug Ingrao. Todos ellos conocen estos recovecos por varios años, viene a ser como el patio de su casa para estos señores. Sus indicaciones y consejos fueron vitales para haber completado exitosamente esta ruta, reconocida mundialmente como difícil. Una rayita más en la jerarquía de Buttercup.

La fila india de pequeños grupos de Jeep es infinita, supongo que mucha gente realiza paseos por su cuenta al igual que nosotros. Por segundo día consecutivo, el Jeep amarillo rompió algo en la trilla. En esta oportunidad, la falla más común de los Jeep, ustedes dirán… Así es, la cruceta del cardan no aguanto la pela. Alexis estaba medio preparado para esta falla, tenia el repuesto, más no la herramienta para sacar el tornillo cercenado, ni tampoco las abrazaderas. Toda la reparación fue hecha personalmente por Alexis, sin ayuda de ningún tipo, y esto señores es un gran avance para nuestro amigo. Cada grupito que nos pasaba, se detenía a ofrecer ayuda, así fue como conseguimos las abrazaderas y la herramienta requerida para extraer el tornillo mutilado en menos de una hora. Mi mas sincero agradecimiento a todos aquellos que se detuvieron a preguntar en que podían ayudar, y en especial a aquellos que nos prestaron herramientas y repuestos, de panas que un millón, solo nos queda hacer lo mismo por cualquier persona que nosotros encontremos averiados en la vía.

El pana Robert Lucero tiene un estilo bien particular como guía externo. Imaginen al personaje, con una mano en el bolsillo, cual Pedro navaja, y con la otra, hace señas con un dedo para que mueves las ruedas en la dirección que él considera mas sencilla, no necesariamente la línea mas fácil, pero lo cumbre, es que tiene memorizado el obstáculo pero sus ojos están enfocados en una bella chica Venezolana, no en la maniobra. Yo no lo culpo para nada, solo que no da mucha risa cuando tu estas tras el volante, tratando de ver como trepas las fulanas rocas. Todavía me muero de la risa cada vez que me acuerdo, en especial cuando cabeza ‘e gato le hizo la mímica de sus actos, ya que por supuesto le dijimos y no nos creía hasta que le realizamos la mímica en su cara y nos tiramos al piso de la risa de nuestras ocurrencias. A todas estas, se dieron cuenta que somos tres Roberto en este paseo? Nada fácil, en especial cuando dicen por el radio, Roberto, ven a dirigirme… joder, cual de los tres?

Como sea, continuamos con nuestro largo y entretenido paseo, pero no largo en distancia recorrida, sino que hay que dedicar un día completo a este recorrido de pocas millas. Tomamos cientos de fotos, yo aspiro a compartir mi experiencia con muchísima gente, y así, la próxima vez que alguien te invite para Moab, tu digas, Si, acepto!

Roberto L. Miranda
    Last edited by Roberto Miranda; 04-30-09, 03:41 PM. Reason: s/b Utah

[COLOR="Blue"]Great report Roberto, now I'm wanting to do the Golden Spike again.
    mk[/COLOR]

Comment

finally, Alexis up-loaded some mini clips... have fun!!!

http://www.youtube.com/aoe4x4#all/up.../0/Hew4t9hpF7A

Comment

Yup........that makes me want to run that trail soon. Seeing as ROberto's group had plenty of Jeeps in it, perhaps they wouldn't notice one extra Jeep in the group next time.
        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Golden Spike = fun trail, we had a blast on it last month.

Comment

Great pictures... The write up was awesome too. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

thanks, well we know the date... easter week of next year... I hope to be there again, and try Hells Revenge...

Comment

Working...
              X