Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Looking to hook up with others this weekend

Consider me a newbie looking for relatively easier trails for now. I've got a completely stock Scrambler. It's running well and ready to roll. I just need to build it up a bit and get a lot more trail time before I can hang out on the more challenging stuff. :wink:

Not being all that familiar with what is available, it would be great if someone wouldn't mind leading a group over some realatively easier trails. I'm not timid, but know that there are some things that I just don't belong on at this point.

I'm open to discovering new places and can make it to anywhere in SoCal both Saturday and Sunday.

Reading about the run people did where they went to see the petroglyphs and mines got me excited about doing some exploring!

Even if no one can make it, maybe some of you can suggest places where I can go explore and not get in over my head. I did this in Death Valley for a week in October and had a great time!

Christian
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Christian,

PM sent!

Mitch

Comment

Mitch,
      PM sent.

Comment

Some friends and I are running cleghorn on sunday. If you are interested let me know.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Me Too!

Christian, I'm in the same boat although weekends are harder for me. (I'm off during the week) I can go in the mornings weekends though as I don't need to be at work till 1PM. As far as trails, I purchased a couple of trail guides and have found a lot of easy runs close by, my problem is not being comfortable going out very far by myself. I also just did Death Valley and although it was too easy in most places, it is a big step from that to Bullfrog! I'd really like to go on a local "Old Mine Tour". I'm planning on doing the Mojave Road next Fall and I'm doing a lot of reading right now on that. A friend loaned me a set of the original 4 Volume set of trail guides by Casebier. I can always get weekends off but just not at the last minute, I need to plan in advance. I'll be at the BassPro M & G and would really like to connect with other trail runners.
          Here is my Cherokee in Death Valley

Gregg
          Gregg Turk
          West Oak Hills
          greggturk.com
          95 Jeep Cherokee, 69 Jeep CJ5

Comment

Christian & Gregg (and any other trail runners)

I have a neat route winding through the Johnson Valley area without going on the tough trails. It's easy to barely moderate. If I add the northern leg we can see the Rodman Petroglypghs. If You guys are interested, I'd be glad to run it with you. We better do it within the next 30 days before the summer heat arrives. Fridays & Saturdays are best for me.

Let me know if you are interested.
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post

I have a neat route winding through the Johnson Valley area without going on the tough trails. It's easy to barely moderate. If I add the northern leg we can see the Rodman Petroglypghs. If You guys are interested, I'd be glad to run it with you. We better do it within the next 30 days before the summer heat arrives. Fridays & Saturdays are best for me.

I'm very interested? Fridays are best for me but I can escape Saturdays too. I'm leaving on May 11th for an 8 day motorcycle trip through AZ, NM, Ut, Nv and home so those dates are out but any other time would be great. I raced motorcycles in Lucerne for 40 years so I know the area but not from a 4x4 perspective. While racing you only see a very small piece right in front of you! Thanks for the offer. Next Saturday is the M & G which I plan to attend. I'm very interested and appreciative of your offer. I'd be good that Friday May 8th or 22 - 23 after I get back.
              Gregg
              Gregg Turk
              West Oak Hills
              greggturk.com
              95 Jeep Cherokee, 69 Jeep CJ5

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                Some friends and I are running cleghorn on sunday. If you are interested let me know.
                I'm definitely interested. It looks like I'll be running in Big Bear on Saturday and this would make for a great Sunday run. I'll PM you my info.

Thanks.

Christian
                "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by tgregg View Post
                  Christian, I'm in the same boat although weekends are harder for me. (I'm off during the week) I can go in the mornings weekends though as I don't need to be at work till 1PM. As far as trails, I purchased a couple of trail guides and have found a lot of easy runs close by, my problem is not being comfortable going out very far by myself. I also just did Death Valley and although it was too easy in most places, it is a big step from that to Bullfrog! I'd really like to go on a local "Old Mine Tour". I'm planning on doing the Mojave Road next Fall and I'm doing a lot of reading right now on that. A friend loaned me a set of the original 4 Volume set of trail guides by Casebier. I can always get weekends off but just not at the last minute, I need to plan in advance. I'll be at the BassPro M & G and would really like to connect with other trail runners.

Gregg
                  I'm out Monday - Friday unless I take a day off, so Saturdays and Sundays are best for me, I'm open to doing something early on weekends that can get you to work by 1 pm.

The Mojave Road is on my list of things to do. I'll be interested in the research you've done!

I'll also be at the Bass Pro Shop M & G and look forward to meeting you.

Thanks.

Christian

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post

Roger,

That would be great!

Saturdays are usually a good day for me, but the next 30 days worth of Saturdays are tight.

I've got Big Bear this Saturday (04/02).

The Meet & Greet is on the Saturday after that (05/09).

05/16 I'm attending the Rules and Regulations training as an OHV Host Candidate for SBNF.

So far, I'm open on 05/23, which is Memorial Weekend. It looks like Gregg is open that day too and maybe this is enough lead time for him. (Of course, you may already have plans that weekend.)

On the last Saturday of the month (05/30), I'll be scuba diving in La Jolla.

Thanks for the offer!

Christian

Comment

5/23 I would like to tag along also.

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
                        I'm definitely interested. It looks like I'll be running in Big Bear on Saturday and this would make for a great Sunday run. I'll PM you my info.

Thanks.

Christian
                        Where are you headed in big bear saturday? I wouldn't mind tagging along if you have room.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Clay View Post
                          Where are you headed in big bear saturday? I wouldn't mind tagging along if you have room.
                          I'm not entirely sure. It's great88 running the show on that one.

Christian

Comment

5/23 Johnson Valley Run

I checked my calendar and 5/23 would work for me.

I'm going to double check with my wife to make sure plans haven't changed. I'll let you guys know for sure by tonight.

So far those interested:

Christian
                            Gregg
                            Roger
                            Scaffoldman
                            Anyone else?

I'll do an offical posting as soon as I can confirm.

Just so you all understand, this is an easy to moderate run. We'll be covering most of JV so you'll appreciate just how big & diverse it is. You'll want to come back and explore further, I guarentee it!

One last thought: If you don't have a CB, I can't stress enough how important they are when on a group run. So, if you don't have one, please try to get one!
                            Last edited by Roger; 05-01-09, 07:37 AM. Reason: additional information
                            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                            MJR moderator
                            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                            Jeep Patrol Leader
                            Reforestation Supervisor
                            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                            Eagle Scout

Comment

So....is there a Big Bear run tomorrow (5/2) that's open to join???

Comment

Working...
                              X