Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pleasant Canyon Loop, Death Valley.......

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Pleasant Canyon Loop, Death Valley.......

Question.....best camping area near "Roger's Pass"?....the top of the loop.....?
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

To me, Roger's pass is too windy and open to be a comfortable camp site.

If you want to be close to the pass, but not in the exposed area, you could try the east side of Middle Park. If you are coming from the South Park side, Middle Park looks like this as you enter it from the west:

Otherwise, you could camp near (or God forbid! IN) the Adopt-a-Cabin just down the hill and north of the pass. It looks like this:

The best place that I have found to camp (but, I haven't camped at Briggs Cabin yet, it is always full when I get there) is the OHL-1 Cabin. It is in the Pleasant Canyon side of the loop and is relatively new. The cabin is sponsored by CA4WDC in memory to a key member of the club. An overview of the area that it is in looks like this:

So when are you planning to go? I hope it is soon, otherwise the temps in the lower valleys will melt more than just the ice in your cooler!
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Great advice Mike. Daves going this weekend. I guess he asked one of his regular trail friends to go, but he wimped out, mumbling something about "fear of heights" and "skinney narrow shelf roads".

Dave, I hope that you guys have an awesome time! Take a ton of pictures.

Mitch

**There's a new video to check out on Youtube:
      "New road into Pleasant Canyon" This redefines steep!

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
        "skinney narrow shelf roads".
        What's the problem with Chicken Rock?:dunno:
        Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
          What's the problem with Chicken Rock?:dunno:
          roof rack + chicken rock + Chuck = no good
          [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for the advice...leaving at 3 am for Ballarat.

Comment

I'm sure that you will have a great time Flatout. Too bad your trail partner has issues with the roads. 'm sure that he would like it better than anyone otherwise

Just don't put everything that you own on the roof rack and then do Chicken Rock....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYKleveFZ5M

[/COLOR]

Comment

I did Chicken rock in my 4x4 4-door Nissan Titan with no problems - well other than my wife got out and walked until the other side of the bridge... This is the trail that convinced me to buy a Jeep
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
                  I'm sure that you will have a great time Flatout. Too bad your trail partner has issues with the roads. 'm sure that he would like it better than anyone otherwise

Just don't put everything that you own on the roof rack and then do Chicken Rock....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYKleveFZ5M
                  Thanks Mike. I love reliving that. It was one the most scariest moment for me.

Flatpoint, make you take lots of pics. Have fun.
                  Check out .

Comment

Nice!!!!!
                    [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Sweet. Im doing this run on the 16th, cant wait!
                      "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

Just got back.....The BEST run I've ever made, hands down! Did the loop backwards, I guess....left east out of Ballarat....Stayed at Rita's....outside. (You CAN sleep in an LJ with the back seat out). The mines up there are GREAT to explore,BIG! Chicken rock let's you know you are alive, there IS pucker factor, but very cool and fun! Best wheeling/camping trip I've ever done. MITCH?????????

Comment

The Panamint Range is one of my favorite areas to explore. I glad you had a great time. Wise call to sleep outside at Rita's.

Um.. so where's the PICS? How can you truly taunt Mitch without pics?

[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

The taunting began as soon as Dave was home! 64 photo's via E-mail. The pic's are most awesome! the mines are some of the top of my list before Feinstein starts spending the latest $56 million dollars to destroy those nasty mines that have been there for 80 to 120 years! Dave. Glad you are home safe and sound (well at least safe?).

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                              Mike,

The taunting began as soon as Dave was home! 64 photo's via E-mail. The pic's are most awesome! the mines are some of the top of my list before Feinstein starts spending the latest $56 million dollars to destroy those nasty mines that have been there for 80 to 120 years! Dave. Glad you are home safe and sound (well at least safe?).

Mitch
                              What now they are wanting to destroy California's mining history??!?!? Wow, these liberals are trying to destroy this country any way they can.
                              Sorry, I digress.
                              "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X